Aircraft maint issues

I personally believe Tulsa should lobby for as many phase checks as possible. I’m sure they can get them done quicker then any line station.

TUL just had a protest this morning and I only see 21 people unfortunately in the group photo.

Hard for TUL to lobby for anything at all with little to no member support.

Calling people names does not help you win your argument.

It only makes you look frustrated and weak.

Otherwise I “was” enjoying your debate up until your last post.

BTW how many years do you have with the Airline?

You’re right, I shouldn’t have called him a Texan.

Just kidding, nobody should be using the term libtard.

How tough is it for the negotiating committee. The distain the membership has for the association. Plus negotiating a contract for

Guys like me realizing the way of the future, and wanting the industry leading pay.

Guys who want to see what the company is actually offering and what ASS is asking for.

Guys like 86mech thinking we can keep non mech functions just because we did them in the past and we still do that work post BK

Guys from LUS who think because they had their great health ins through BK, they can keep it.

Guys from OH who want ALL work in house and if line guys don’t like it, move to Tulsa.

Guys from the I vote no on every contract (the worst of all)

Guys from the restore and more philosophy.

Then there’s the fact that the IAM guys are just happy to keep the status quo. After all they currently have one of the best contracts in the industry, while the TWU definitely have the worst.

That’s a lot of division our union reps have to deal with before the company even gets involved.

The reason I harp on this is, I think it’s important we all have a reasonable Expectation. Yes AA is making money, NOW, but that might not be the case in the future and I would hate to go through another lay-off scenario where we sacrificed pay to keep jobs only to lose jobs anyway.

Last edited:
You must be one of those libtards from Texas
Who knows if the senior guys couldn’t hide on the move crews and were forced to work again, maybe they would retire.

Going with Wease on this one, no reason to call names but, I will admit, I am far from a "trumptard". Politics aside.

Nobody's forcing me out before I'm ready and I can turn a wrench with the best of them and make a hard job look easy.

So, you just hold on to your TW off on mids changing tires. I keep my weekends on dayshift taxiing "bigjets" and walking a wing every now and then and when you get rid of my crew, I'll bury you on mids for a little while longer.

THAT'S the reality of todays AA.

Going with Wease on this one, no reason to call names but, I will admit, I am far from a "trumptard". Politics aside.

Nobody's forcing me out before I'm ready and I can turn a wrench with the best of them and make a hard job look easy.

So, you just hold on to your TW off on mids changing tires. I keep my weekends on dayshift taxiing "bigjets" and walking a wing every now and then and when you get rid of my crew, I'll bury you on mids for a little while longer.

THAT'S the reality of todays AA.

Shouldn’t have name called I apologize for that, but I would never call anyone a trumptard !! That would be over a line that I won’t cross.

I don’t care what shift you work, I just care about how much we make. But it’s helpful to know what kind of person you are.

Shouldn’t have name called I apologize for that, but I would never call anyone a trumptard !! That would be over a line that I won’t cross.

I don’t care what shift you work, I just care about how much we make. But it’s helpful to know what kind of person you are.

bigjets I’m just curious and no I’m not judging your opinions which have just as much credibility as anyone else. And I may have even asked you this before and if I have please forgive me.

Do you place any economic value at all on being able to pick and chose what shifts and days off you can secure?

Would you be ok with being on Midnights with Tue Wed off for your entire career if the Company kept giving you decent raises?

Personally I like very much having my choice of shifts with Sat Sun off which took IMO too many years to gain. I would not enjoy going backwards now at my age.

I personally believe Tulsa should lobby for as many phase checks as possible. I’m sure they can get them done quicker then any line station.
Jets, you would be surprised what a line station can do when given the right tooling and parts. Especially those with hangars.

Jets, you would be surprised what a line station can do when given the right tooling and parts. Especially those with hangars.

Oh I agree, at ord we have an engine change crew and they had all the schools and tooling that they take care of. They do amazing work. But not every crew gets that support especially when the resources are shared with each shift.

A friend of mine told me about the 777 b check they had in Miami. Stands toolboxes all stocked up for each area almost like a mini Tulsa.

bigjets I’m just curious and no I’m not judging your opinions which have just as much credibility as anyone else. And I may have even asked you this before and if I have please forgive me.

Do you place any economic value at all on being able to pick and chose what shifts and days off you can secure?

Would you be ok with being on Midnights with Tue Wed off for your entire career if the Company kept giving you decent raises?

Personally I like very much having my choice of shifts with Sat Sun off which took IMO too many years to gain. I would not enjoy going backwards now at my age.

Yes quality of life is important, but in maint we have accepted less to save jobs only to see those jobs disappear, so now our association is trying to sell protecting shifts and days off. There is no way of guaranteeing shift and day off protection.

If AA were to put that protection in the contract I bet that there would some out written that the company can bypass that when they decide.

Yes quality of life is important, but in maint we have accepted less to save jobs only to see those jobs disappear, so now our association is trying to sell protecting shifts and days off. There is no way of guaranteeing shift and day off protection.

If AA were to put that protection in the contract I bet that there would some out written that the company can bypass that when they decide.

Ok aside from concessions and Bankruptcy hits. You would have to expect to lose some work as they modernize the Fleet since your main function would be maintaining and fixing Aircraft.

But if you do give up work that’s in your contract by your own hands you also have to accept what 1986 is telling you that he will bump into your positions and push you back down lower and further out.

Again my question basically is do you feel you have a price that you are ok with accepting to spend your entire career on the Graveyard shift with undesirable days off?

Ok aside from concessions and Bankruptcy hits. You would have to expect to lose some work as they modernize the Fleet since your main function would be maintaining and fixing Aircraft.

But if you do give up work that’s in your contract by your own hands you also have to accept what 1986 is telling you that he will bump into your positions and push you back down lower and further out.

Again my question basically is do you feel you have a price that you are ok with accepting to spend your entire career on the Graveyard shift with undesirable days off?

Since there is no guarantees I couldn’t possibly give you a number. I will say I would rather be working with 1986 on midnights at $62 an hour then with me on nights at $48 and him on days at $48 an hour.

The senior guys are set with their house and kids, but younger guys are trying to get into that position but in the 16th year of concessions it’s hard to get ahead with a house and saving for kids college. That’s why I’m not overly concerned with protecting a guy hiding on move crew so he can be semi retired and I can’t save for kids college.

The man fails to think of his future and what he might want to be doing in twilight of his career here at aa. On top of that, he's prepared to give up scope in the face of record profits. One can never make an arguement persuasive enough to over one the logic.

My logic is we should have the scope, money and benefits, we just need the will to make that happen.

AA is a different company now. What happened in the past no longer matters. AA is going to move LUS mechs to our insurance even though they kept that through BK.

You must be one of those libtards from Texas or OK who thinks AA owes you something other then a pay check. AA is a company who wants value for their money. That’s why the old AA moved from NY to Dallas and opened a maintenance base in Tulsa. You have been in an industrial union far too long. Of course I want good days off and good shifts but at the expense of my earnings potential. I knew the kinds of working conditions I was getting into. Who knows if the senior guys couldn’t hide on the move crews and were forced to work again, maybe they would retire.

I’m guessing you don’t empty the trash cans or do you just want the easy work at the maintenance hangar?

Here’s a question, is it strike worthy to keep move crews and health ins for LUS guys?

I did not know non A&Ps can sign logbook. Don’t worry I know the real answer.
You sure sound intelligent .

The man fails to think of his future and what he might want to be doing in twilight of his career here at aa. On top of that, he's prepared to give up scope in the face of record profits. One can never make an arguement persuasive enough to over one the logic.

My logic is we should have the scope, money and benefits, we just need the will to make that happen.

According to ASS, AA wants to do away with move crews and avionics, go to 50% OH 15% line outsourcing, which is what Isom said a couple of years ago. But some union guys will say AA wants to do away with days and afternoons and have AA mechs just on nights at all stations. Sounds like scare tactics to me.

I haven’t worked nights in 20 years and we have rotating days off. So life isn’t that bad, we are not like dfw where it’s fixed days off. We don’t have the mentality it was bad for me it should be bad for you. You come across as a guy who has put in 30 plus years and figure you have earned the right to take it easy. At full pay of course. We all taxi planes don’t think you’re better then anyone else.

Now who thinks we the Association is going to maintain a 35% outsourcing limit, get the LUS health insurance (that ALL employees will want) top pay and a guarantee of no job loss? There has to be a reason why association isn’t willing to take company’s offer of accepting any union contract out there including SWA. It will still have best scope just not as good as before.

86 I certainly understand your point and your wishes of sitting back and collecting a pay check without working too hard, but I don’t think it’s realistic to think we are going to achieve all that just because AA is making money right now.

Do you think we will win those items in arbitration or that the company will buckle under pressure of a strike?

Latest posts