American looking to "right-size" the company and staffing levels for the Fall and 2021

BTW guys, did this article mean July and Oct of 2020? Or did they really mean of 2021 as written? I assumed it meant for 2020 when I first read it, but it came up again in my news and I noticed they wrote 2021 and not 2020. Just wondering if the "right sizing" might get pushed into 2021 instead of end of this year??

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/american-airlines-ceo-sees-10-211528750.html
I beleive he said a larger percentage for 2020, and still 10-20% smaller airline going onto 2021

It is just saying it won't improve even by summer of 2021. Not that the furloughs would start then. They start in JULY for Mgmt/Support and the will start in Oct (or when the company and the union reaches and agreement) for union workers.

It is just saying it won't improve even by summer of 2021. Not that the furloughs would start then. They start in JULY for Mgmt/Support and the will start in Oct (or when the company and the union reaches and agreement) for union workers.
Thays what im afraid of the association negotiating and or handling the layoffs. We all know who runs the association. Im sure twu members will be well taken aftet

Thays what im afraid of the association negotiating and or handling the layoffs. We all know who runs the association. Im sure twu members will be well taken aftet
Well for title 1 and 2 it's simple enough to address. Sign a card and let's have our own representatives handle our own issues. Pilots do. Flight attendants do. Dispatchers do. We can too. So to all the complainers who didn't or won't sign a card ask yourself what are you expecting from the association when this comes head to head and the association wants to address all members to sacrifice pay and benefits regardless of title or work group descriptions?

Well for title 1 and 2 it's simple enough to address. Sign a card and let's have our own representatives handle our own issues. Pilots do. Flight attendants do. Dispatchers do. We can too. So to all the complainers who didn't or won't sign a card ask yourself what are you expecting from the association when this comes head to head and the association wants to address all members to sacrifice pay and benefits regardless of title or work group descriptions?
Yup. By then it will be too late. Our leadership is ok with that though

La'.
Whereas the majority of the Yankees, BOS/NY/Philly, Will be bitchin' as well, NEVER 'take-it-in-the-shorts', and will find a way (by " ANY " means possible), TO 'GET EVEN' !!!!!! (If you'd like, I can expound on that more)

(A bit of a history lesson here, La') THIS is EXACTLY Why, AA moved headquarters(Company and TWU ) from NYC, to DALL ASS, meaning they KNEW that they'ed get FAR LESS push back from the G-O-B's !!

Nope, if your asinine assumption were remotely correct, all those Yankee airports would have been shrunk over time instead of grown to avoid all those hard ass union employees you try to deify...

That move from NY to TX was always about the tax breaks, cost of living, recruiting and real estate. AA's training had already relocated to GSW, and the new res center was already in the planning phases. It was getting harder and harder to recruit people to move to NY to work for AA. From what people who actually made the move have told me, it was like a 35% or higher raise when you consider the cost of buying a home and the easier commute.

I know when I left JFK for DFW it was a 40% raise for me, and that was including losing the market rate *and* my lead premiums (then about $2/hour combined). My rent was less than half, and I got 3x the square footage in an apartment, plus a pool and a parking space...

I would say it is far more likely AA moved their HQ there due to a combination of market forces (DFW is the 4th busiest airport in the United States) and NY's crushing regulations and taxes. Texas is simply more business friendly.

For all your blustering of "fight" the Yankee airports seem to be running just fine.

Business friendly, yes. DFW itself was nowhere near its current size in terms of traffic or population in 1979, and Braniff (also based at DFW) was easily twice AA's size at the time.

to this day the cost of flying in out of DFW i.e. the landing fees are subsidized by the cost to enter the airport and and the cost of eating and drinking.

Not really - the cost to enter the airport was originally to prevent people from using it as a shortcut. Landing fees today are subsidized more by all the natural gas wells that were drilled during the early 2000's than they are by concessions or entry tolls.

Stop for a minute, and ask yourself, WHY is the TWU Sooooo POWERFUL in NYC/PHL, (Subway systems), but ' lap dogs ' in places like DFW/TUL , and Yes, Even ORD ?????

Huh. They're powerful where they negotiate with Democrats? I'm sure there's absolutely no corruption or graft going on there. None. Nada.

Bears I am not interested in reading a book about fictional characters.

https://play.google.com/store/books...Series_Hard_Landing_?id=k9KaBgAAQBAJ&hl=en_US

The fact you would submit a fictional "thriller novel" as proof of evidence debases your whole stance.

It also makes you look a bit silly.

Yep. Don't waste your time on fiction. The "Hard Landing" you want is by Thomas Petzinger, who covered airlines and businesses for the WSJ. <disclosure> He actually sent me a review copy of the book back when the internet was still young and my now defunct website was listing out books worth reading about the airline industry... </disclosure>

https://www.amazon.com/Hard-Landing-Contest-Profits-Airlines/dp/0812928350

It's a good read, but out of date as far as the airlines and people he covered. I've heard rumors there might be a companion book written by a couple of other prominent names that cover the industry today...

Last edited:
Lynne was GM at BOS for AA for a while, and wrote a fictional book that's based on the real-life gang of NW union employees that killed a supervisor who supposedly discovered their mail theft/credit card fraud ring.

Bears apparently has multiple copies lying about the house in hopes of his own hard landing.

What I have read (from 3rd party sources obviously) is they were laying off 30 percent of Managerial and support staff.

They are laying off 20 percent of front line workers with retirements and early outs figured into that 20 percent (for instance if they get 5 percent early out then they will only lay off 15 percent with job function obviously taken into account).

Another consideration I thought of but, this may be nothing, we have a TON of 737 MAX's grounded (24 I believe). Has the company already laid off to account for those aircraft lying dormant (or adjusted through attrition)? I guess that could be a silver lining in the wake of the 100 aircraft being retired. There is also the fact that TULE just hired what.... 400 people. Mostly Title 1 mechanics. I feel bad for them but on the plus side most of them should have their probationary period over with (therefore having recall)..... and it's not like they were topped out so it should be easier for them to find comparable wages. That might save a few people with higher seniority from hitting the street.

I am trying to find a silver lining here, work with me people.
I hear ya LuLu, and hope ya find that silver lining and your better half remains safe.
I am thinking we were thinking the same numbers in our heads as you posted. I too was hoping from the 30% management and support staff number would entail downward for the frontline employees after the Early Outs and retirements and or leaves were taken into consideration. I am hoping for better numbers, but not sure AA will get as many takers with current offers. Hoping the layoffs will be more in line with 10%-18%. Still in hopes of a below 20% with an average of 15% or below. 0% would be the ultimate, but that would be with blinders on and not sensible.

Yep. Don't waste your time on fiction. The "Hard Landing" you want is by Thomas Petzinger, who covered airlines and businesses for the WSJ. <disclosure> He actually sent me a review copy of the book back when the internet was still young and my now defunct website was listing out books worth reading about the airline industry... </disclosure>

https://www.amazon.com/Hard-Landing-Contest-Profits-Airlines/dp/0812928350

It's a good read, but out of date as far as the airlines and people he covered. I've heard rumors there might be a companion book written by a couple of other prominent names that cover the industry today...

This book might be out of date (it's from the late '90's), but it's well worth anyone's time. I hope the companion book comes to pass.