Delta Air Offers Buyouts to Trim Jobs Amid 4% Capacity Cut

Half their pay? Really? I'm told AA just a hired a few guys who left Delta in JFK, their pay would be more than half and come within a dollar after two years. I would guess that any worker that leaves Delta would have little trouble finding work at another carrier such as JetBlue, AA or several other carriers that have not gone through a merger recently.

You have to admit that those are rare instances and will only apply to a bare minimum of people.

You have to admit that those are rare instances and will only apply to a bare minimum of people.

Depends. Bob's referring to mechanics, but in places where there is a need for supervisors, the guys who worked for Brand X have a leg up on the guy who worked at NAPA or Home Depot...

The company I work for has traditionally hired people out of the airlines, and I know we just hired a guy fresh out of United who wound up in a position to leave with all the management consolidation underway. Wouldn't surprise me in the least to see someone else from DL show up next.

Depends. Bob's referring to mechanics, but in places where there is a need for supervisors, the guys who worked for Brand X have a leg up on the guy who worked at NAPA or Home Depot...

The company I work for has traditionally hired people out of the airlines, and I know we just hired a guy fresh out of United who wound up in a position to leave with all the management consolidation underway. Wouldn't surprise me in the least to see someone else from DL show up next.

Speaking as a former delta mechanic I'm just saying for those buyout terms, at this time, it may be better to stick with delta as long as they let you and shop your resume around. Most industries, including mine-pharmaceutical manufacturing, have went through a reduction in manpower. There are good and competent people trying to find work in their industries and they have relevent experience. Without relevent experience, the likelihood of walking into another job with equivalent pay as delta pays is low. That said, good skills and competence will be proven and experience gained, you may get decent bumps in pay but I suspect that will take Three years or more from hire date to come close to what delta pays. And those guys working at home depot? they are survival jobs for people laid off. one guy who helped me at HD was a Twa/AA f/o. Looking to get back in the air.

Just food for thought. life outside of delta isnt easier or even better.

Guess it depends on where you live. Here in NY there are probably a lot more opportunites to make more than in RDU. The MTA now pays more, thats never happened before. So when guys leave here most do better, a few dont, but most do.

Life outside the industry is what you make it, just ask the NWA guys who moved on but still come back and post here every now and then.

Reactions: 1 person
Guess it depends on where you live. Here in NY there are probably a lot more opportunites to make more than in RDU. The MTA now pays more, thats never happened before. So when guys leave here most do better, a few dont, but most do.

Life outside the industry is what you make it, just ask the NWA guys who moved on but still come back and post here every now and then.

Yes it is Bob... I along with a lot of former NW guys in MEM were picked up by FX some went to the line/hangers some to maintenance control. ALL make more than they ever did at NWA now. A lot of us had a rough time some worse and longer than others. But a lot of the honorable helped get other honorable on at their respective companies..I know I helped get a lot of my friends in at FX...I know a few who went to the FAA as well..We can always hold our heads high and I feel myself I did the right thing and it paid off in spades. I believe in Karma. I have taken personal pleasure in killing a few scab opportunities at FX after a manager would come and ask me if I knew this or that person. A note to RDU a LOT of former DL mechanics came here to FX. All the ones I met here had a minimum of 10 yrs at DL and most had around 20 years. I found it hard to believe they gave that up and came here..I didn't have a choice I was kicked to the curb. Kinda makes me think DL isn't all that if all these guys left the "family".

Reactions: 1 person
Going out the door on one end, coming in the door on another...

Delta Jobs
because part of the process of cutting costs is reducing higher paid senior workers with lower paid newer employees (who presumably also will be lower users of benefits).
Airlines that don't continually work to reduce personnel costs are those that will be the most susceptible to lower cost and newer carriers that do practice the process.
The fact that DL has been able to accomplish more of its headcount reductions via voluntary programs than other carriers translates into an economic advantage (lower costs).
If DL is replacing higher cost workers in the same location with newer workers using INVOLUNTARY methods, then there is a problem... but the voluntary programs are an effective way to reduce costs and to generally do them less painfully than using involuntary methods.

Reactions: 2 people
Yes it is Bob... I along with a lot of former NW guys in MEM were picked up by FX some went to the line/hangers some to maintenance control. ALL make more than they ever did at NWA now. A lot of us had a rough time some worse and longer than others. But a lot of the honorable helped get other honorable on at their respective companies..I know I helped get a lot of my friends in at FX...I know a few who went to the FAA as well..We can always hold our heads high and I feel myself I did the right thing and it paid off in spades. I believe in Karma. I have taken personal pleasure in killing a few scab opportunities at FX after a manager would come and ask me if I knew this or that person. A note to RDU a LOT of former DL mechanics came here to FX. All the ones I met here had a minimum of 10 yrs at DL and most had around 20 years. I found it hard to believe they gave that up and came here..I didn't have a choice I was kicked to the curb. Kinda makes me think DL isn't all that if all these guys left the "family".

I know a few of those guys. They took the last buyout out of concern for the future of DL, hence their own future. Some commute on their days off to be with family. It is rough. They told me so. Certainly, DL isn't "all that". I left because it wasn't "all that". But I was young at the time.
If 500 hundred mechs took the buyout, do you think FX et. al. will pick them all up? Will they pick up 1000?

In any case, I wish the best for all and hope they DO end up happier, if not wealthier.

Most of the guys I know, that left the "Family", came back after they found out that life outside the "Family" wasn't all that. And they paid for it too..............started at the bottom and these were guys with 15+ years !

Most of the guys I know, that left the "Family", came back after they found out that life outside the "Family" wasn't all that. And they paid for it too..............started at the bottom and these were guys with 15+ years !

Its shocking how many have done that. They lost every bit of their seniority.

Lost pay too !

Well, I go back to my original post. The buyout is not impressive and if you are in a position to make this decision, think long and hard about it...It is not bad out here, but the B.S. is about the same. Job security is probably less too. Plus, if you leave aviation, you will be ok but you might feel slightly out of phase with everyone around you.

You are so used to making life preserving decisions in your daily grind that you don't even think about it but out here people freak out over the silliest things!

But, that will likely work to your advantage when everyone is running around like their a$$3$ are on fire. Good Luck.