Delta to give all domestic employees raises in 2012

Let me say that your presence on this forum of late has been most welcome.
Since you and I have debated more than a couple things, we clearly don't see eye to eye on everything but you bring a perspective of objectivity and a willingness to rationally discuss what needs to be discussed.
Does this mean that the couple US based FAs per flight that flowed through NRT to intra-Asian flights will no longer be doing that so that a crew will entirely be Asia based or US based?

Thank you. I believe that will be the case. All crews will either be US-based (to/from the US) or Asian-based (throughout Asia). From what I understand the IFSR's based in Manila will be let go.

Why did you leave out the ones that werent union, the list is quite long since 1978, longer than unionized?

I'd be interested to know as well. I would bet if you took all the employees from every airline that went under (or merged or acquired) that lost jobs, the numbers would be closer than would at first appear. For example, of the >150 airlines to go under since deregulation, I'm sure the majority of airlines themselves were not unionized, but the majority were also small start-ups who never really had time to unionize. When MarkAir (of Alaska) went under in 1994-5, they had under 2,000 employees TOTAL. And they were a pretty big start-up. Eastern,Braniff,PA, TWA were all much larger and lost many employee jobs (both unionized and non-unionized).

A Days seem quite popular with most of my F/A friends. 'Course there's no reason why that couldn't have been negotiated into a JCBA.

Check w/your friends, but I believe PMNW F/A's had ~ 5% contributed prior to the merger, with no action (or expense) required on their part. For IAM represented employes, the pension contribution worked out to ~ 6%; money they will now have to contribute out of pocket, assuming they're addicted to things like food and shelter as I am.

PMNW had the following formula:

401(k) Plan Company contributes:
- 3% if sum of age and years of service is less than 40
- 4% if sum of age and years of service is 40 through 59
- 5% if sum of age and years of service is 60 through 79
- 6% if sum of age and years of service is more than 79

DL's formulas is a little simpler (as you probably know):
401(k) Plan – Company contributes up to 7% of pay (2% fixed contribution plus up to 5% Company match on FA contribution)

Reactions: 3 people
no one said DL is handing out pilot pay raises out of the goodness of DL mgmt's heart. DL has a long standing history of giving pay raises to non-contract employees at roughly the same time as to pilots... and there have been times when the non-contract employees have had pay raises first.
DL agreed to pilot pay increases as part of the merger integration process and based on the certainty that DL had built a viable, profitable business plan that justified pay raises.
Now that laboratory conditions have been lifted, DL is free to increase the pay of non-contract employees.
hmmm in the same year the pilot contract comes up for negotiation(and Bastian doesn't have a BK judge to hide behind now :angry: ) Let the "pilots are evil, outsourcing is good" campaign start.

As for the raise, I'll take my 5th week of vacation please..... :angry:

Reactions: 2 people
no, it is actually not spin at all. The number of airline workers has dramatically declined since deregulation and the percentage of union workers has also dramatically declined. The percentage of airline workers who are not unionized continues to grow in part due to DL's mergers and acquisitions and the growth of carriers like B6 and VX.
My suggestion for the labor movement is to focus all of your attention on supporting AA's employees during their company's BK proceedings - because labor will face yet another major assault over the next year that has the potential to affect all employees in the airline industry. 2012 will end with even fewer unionized airline employees.
Maybe, but i would also note that we should support United's pilots. they have a chance to end all the big RJ love, If they get to zero 70+ seat jets then DALPA (or DPA) has a leg to stand on for C12. Less big RJs at DCI means more jobs at Delta. (also helps APA chances in BK.)

Yes. A lot of things are tied to the UA pilots scope agreement. PMCO wants to keep their scope and the PMUA pilots agree. I am hoping for the same, but the 70 seater will somehow finds it way back. But 90 or mor seats, I don't know.......
The pilots are standing firm on scope, because PMUA pilots got killed in BK. I think that scope will be a major thing in negotiations, which will trickle down to the other workgroups. More big RJ's, less work for mainline.

dawg and tbar,
lest you think otherwise, I completely agree with you. I think scope is absolutely key and nothing more should be given up.
UA pilots gave up alot on scope in BK - unlimited 70/76 seat RJs is not necessary. The 250 or so 70/76 seat RJs that the current DL pilot agreement allows is more than sufficient for the company. Of course this is on top of unlimited 50 seat RJs at DL and UA as well.
If you pull up schedules between some large cities throughout the US, at certain times of day at least a majority of the flights involve one or more large RJ connections on either DL or UA. DL esp. is maintaining 3 large hubs DTW, MSP, and ATL and keeping them large and very competitive by using lots of RJs.. and the 76 seat 2 class RJs are highly competitive in terms of product with mainline. But you have to ask at some point if you can maintain 25% share of the domestic market - which DL and UA are close to - then do you really need to be outsourcing 30-40% of all the domestic seats you offer?
You can see my thoughts on outsourcing on the other scope but DL and UA are profitable companies and there is no reason to continue to argue that they need more freedom to outsource jobs.

Reactions: 4 people
I hate to poke a hole in your story but the merit group was promised a raise July 2010, and btw, can't unionize. They received 0 pay increases on July 1st 2010. For the entire week following July 1st, one particular merit group's management went around chest bumping, daring the merit employees to say something about the pay increase that "didn't happen". Long story made short...I said something about it and was punished. T'ain't gloom and doom. Just livin' it.

2BnB
Yep