DL asks for $5.9 Million for renovations.

southwind said:
Probably the same way we knew you'd be the first in line to accuse Delta of wrong-doing! I swear, they could give you a $50,000 a year raise and a 6 month vacation and it still wouldn't make you happy !
Coming from DL it's never good enough

Meager, sub par or even concessionary agreements negotiated by the IAMAW are wonderful in Kev's mind.

So funny all the disgruntled unionistas reminisce about how wonderful the former NWA was but the fact is they hated NWA and their management just as much.

Josh

Northwest Airlines built the Chisholm call center in 1995 with a $9.7 million loan from the Iron Range Resources and Rehabilitation Board. Only $1 million of that loan was repaid, with the rest forgiven.

http://www.myfoxtwincities.com/story/23884274/delta-asks-minnesota-for-59m-to-renovate-chisholm-call-center

The previous deal had the state of Minnesota feeling a bit like a jilted ex-lover after lending plenty of money and ending up with broken promises and hurt feelings.

Considering the long, rocky relationship with the airline, Delta -- which purchased Minnesota-based Northwest Airlines -- promises that this time will be different. Even so, there is reason to be skeptical. The company said it was committed to maintaining its headquarters in Eagan, but eventually packed up and moved to Atlanta.

Austin, who worked for Northwest for 10 years, said many Minnesotans feel snubbed by Delta, but their remaining Minnesota-based operation is now looking to expand.

tell me what money MN loaned to DL?  The loans were made to NW.  DL repaid them.    NW's loans were forgiven.  DL's were not. 

carry on if you want. Apparently this notion that DL can do nothing good isn't universally held in MN.

DL got the loan.

http://mn.gov/irrrb/media/news/news-detail.jsp?id=285-93365

“It’s definitely a day to celebrate on the Iron Range,” said Sertich. “Not only do these projects create 148 quality jobs but also demonstrate the strong commitment these companies have to the future of our region.”

Delta Air Lines received a $5.9 million direct loan for the renovation and modernization of its 40,000 square foot facility in Chisholm. The funding will transform the facility into a modern, state-of-the art Customer Engagement Center and refurbish the infrastructure. It is projected that 107 new jobs will be created as a result of the expansion.

southwind said:
Probably the same way we knew you'd be the first in line to accuse Delta of wrong-doing! I swear, they could give you a $50,000 a year raise and a 6 month vacation and it still wouldn't make you happy !
As usual, you're a little late to the party.

As usual, you're dead wrong.

737823 said:
Coming from DL it's never good enough

Meager, sub par or even concessionary agreements negotiated by the IAMAW are wonderful in Kev's mind.
That's funny, I coulda sworn you & I just slogged through a 60+ page thread on the UA board that says otherwise.

Don't get lazy on us here...

So funny all the disgruntled unionistas reminisce about how wonderful the former NWA was but the fact is they hated NWA and their management just as much.
We did?

WorldTraveler said:
DL got the loan.
Then I suppose we're at the point GQ describes as you claiming victory in an (almost) empty room. Hurray.

I would still like to see any "guarantee" specifying how many jobs are to be created as a direct result of receiving this aid. It will also be interesting to see what things look like in 2025.

Sidebar: Talked to someone that used to work at the IRC yesterday. Apparently, the IRRRB used to (maybe still?) gets something like a .15 cent cut for every dollar of iron revenue, with the idea of investing in new industries once the deposits run out. Anecdotal to be sure, but sorta interesting if accurate.

A comment from one of my peers on FB:

"...corporate welfare was approved for the company making billions of dollars in profits. Our system is broken."

At the end of the day, I think that sums it up and makes for a nice bow to put on this thread...

I see that the Delta marketing department is well represented here.

Is that "World Traveler" a group account name operated from the Delta Headquarters?

Or is it some "W@H" employee paid to defend and cheer Delta?

Interesting that they chose a screen name that is or was the company on-board magazine name.

My WT name was selected long before DL and NW had anything to do with each other although I have respected NW for many years. And no I don't receive a paycheck from DL.

Apparently you aren't comfortable with highlighting the legitimate benefits of the transaction which ended up being validated anyway?

Kev,
why would the room end up emptying out just because the decision has now been made? Seems like it was about the same number of participants in the discussion as always with extras on the sidelines, as happens on this site.

MN and the company entered into discussions based on a program that is beneficial to both. Who knows how many guarantees DL made but the state of MN and specifically the Iron Range clearly doesn't have it out for DL and believes that what DL is doing is good for MN.

Why you and others felt you needed to object to it in the first place is the real question. The fact that you now feel that the room should empty because the obvious decision was made is even more puzzling.

If you are a legal resident of MN, then I suppose you have a right to complain. Otherwise, it is a transaction between MN and DL, both of which are fairly well-run organizations and are capable of deciding what is best for their own interests.

If you and your FB friends are strongly against such activities and aren't legal residents of MN, then start your campaign in your own statehouse and let us know the results. Perhaps in the process you'll find that there are citizens who really do think job creation and protection programs are worth it. There have been other types of programs used by virtually all US airlines and several have been the discussion of threads on this forum regarding other airlines. Did you register your objections to those activities in those threads?

WorldTraveler said:
Why you and others felt you needed to object to it in the first place is the real question.
Really?

I've been pretty clear on why I object to this deal.

How many times do I need to post my objections in order for you to understand them?

Last one out of the room, hit the lights...

I don't take anything away from your right to object... it isn't your money if you aren't a MN taxpayer and even if you are a MN resident, do you know the calculations that went into the decision? Perhaps it isn't welfare at all.

It is corporate welfare taken by a company that is in good enough shape to raze the IRC, build a new one, and probably not blink an eye. I find that to be an ethics issue. You obviously do not. Whether or not I live in MN is just as irrelevant as where you call home. 

file your objection and see where it goes.... and again, where are your objections regarding many other such actions in other locations and by other airlines, including those that have been discussed on this board?

DL is in the solid financial shape it is in because they make wise business decisions and not spend money where it is not needed. They don't need to rebuild the building just as 12 year old McD-D aircraft will work instead of buying 140 new aircraft in their place and cheaper, current generation new A330s instead of costly next generation 787s and A350s for the next five years.

Your objections would have a whole lot more validity if they didn't suddenly surface about the time DL was involved.

You might find that just like your support of the labor movement at DL, your views are not endorsed by as many people as you think.
But maybe you pride yourself in thinking you are the contrarian whether the contrary opinion makes sense or not?

WorldTraveler said:
DL is in the solid financial shape it is in because they make wise business decisions and not spend money where it is not needed.
...They just spend other people's $$$ instead.

They don't need to rebuild the building
Apparently, they disagree, and feel that a remodeling is definitely "needed."

Your objections would have a whole lot more validity if they didn't suddenly surface about the time DL was involved.
Irrelevant jabberwocky. Has been for the whole thread.

You might find that just like your support of the labor movement at DL, your views are not endorsed by as many people as you think.
You might wanna take your own advice there...

I've said what I need to say. Feel free to give in to your compulsions, and get the last word in.

The switch is by the door to your right...

DL accepted an offer that the state of MN offered, just like you probably bought your home - if you live in a mortgaged home - with some sort of government-backed mortgage. Most mortgages have some sort of gov't involvement.

I suppose you never benefitted from any taxpayer funded programs - schools, roads, none of that stuff either?

Yeah, I know where the circuit breaker is....

MN offered?

More like DL asked.

Back