Grassroots Efforts at DL for ACS and FAs, no personal attacks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
the airline industry has been around for 80 plus years.

Let me know if there has been a larger event in that period that has resulted in the loss of more UNION MEMBERSHIPS than occurred by the CHOICE of DL employees.

Good point, E.

4 yrs. is indeed a long time. The day to day activity at DL is almost unrecognizeable...

As for tearing up cards? That's a bit dramatic. I still have mine, as do most people I know...

Reactions: 4 people
WorldTraveler said:
I didn't talk about the loss of JOBS. We all recognize that losing jobs was worse.

I specifically said that the issue was the loss of UNION MEMBERSHIPS.
No, you're just saying that now in one of your classic disclaimer moments.

WorldTraveler said:
Could there have been a greater loss for organized labor in the airline industry than the day when the DL-NW merger was announced and the subsequent votes that resulted in tens of thousands of union membership cards, including largely from the IAM, being torn up?
You postulated that there was no greater loss for organized labor in the airline industry.

Go ahead and make it all about "loss of membership" if it makes you feel in control, but I think any sane individual measuring what would constitute a loss to organized labor would see losing jobs as being a much bigger deal than losing members.

we would certainly expect you to argue the point but my post was clearly targeted at organized labor.

Does organized labor care when non-union employees are laid off? of course they don't.

Organized labor only measures loss in the form of a loss of paying members.

well obviously DL employees succeeded at keeping DL their DL and keeping the unions out.

Could there have been a greater loss for organized labor in the airline industry than the day when the DL-NW merger was announced and the subsequent votes that resulted in tens of thousands of union membership cards, including largely from the IAM, being torn up?

it was indeed a great day for DL people. They are still reaping benefits from that decision today.
How about instead of trying to redefine the obvious, focus instead on telling us what other event in the history of the US airline industry resulted in the loss of more UNION MEMBERSHIPS than the DL merger

IN WHICH DL EMPLOYEES VOTED BY THE TENS OF THOUSANDS that they did not want to be represented by unions- and that took place in what, Kev, 8 or 9 votes.

And, to this date, that decision by DL employees has not been changed.

WorldTraveler said:
How about instead of trying to redefine the obvious, focus instead on telling us what other event in the history of the US airline industry resulted in the loss of more UNION MEMBERSHIPS than the DL merger
Well, I could start with Deregulation or 9/11.

Somehow, I'm sure you'd deflect and disclaim those events as being insignificant compared to the DL/NW merger as well.

Split the hairs if you wish, WT. I'll still maintain that seeing jobs eliminated outright is far more troubling to a union than losing the dues income. I've carried a trade union card. Have you?

100,000 airline employees were laid-off due to 9/11.

Myself and several other union reps went to the White House to lobby for the Money and the ATSB loan program which the airline used to lay people off instead of keeping them employed.

Lets just say George W Bush's economic adviser Carlos Bonilla was not very receptive to labor.

Reactions: 2 people
Well, I could start with Deregulation or 9/11.

Somehow, I'm sure you'd deflect and disclaim those events as being insignificant compared to the DL/NW merger as well.

Split the hairs if you wish, WT. I'll still maintain that seeing jobs eliminated outright is far more troubling to a union than losing the dues income. I've carried a trade union card. Have you?
I would agree with you that 9/11 was the most devastating day to aviation in the US.

There is no argument there.

But again the difference is that DL employees CHOSE to eliminate unions as part of the DL merger.

Al Qaeda ruined thousands of US airline jobs via 9/11.

100,000 airline employees were laid-off due to 9/11.

Myself and several other union reps went to the White House to lobby for the Money and the ATSB loan program which the airline used to lay people off instead of keeping them employed.

Lets just say George W Bush's economic adviser Carlos Bonilla was not very receptive to labor.
What did you realistically expect him to do? Demand wasn't there and airlines eventually had to lay off staff.

the government couldn't have rebuild the demand that was lost.

10329806_286702248184435_4543323471126411512_o.jpg

Reactions: 5 people
Fellow Stewards,
It pleases me to inform you that after productive meetings with UAL and District 141, the below wing reductions have been rescinded in San Diego, Orlando, and Tampa.

This will alleviate the impact the reduction MAY have at IAH. Rich Delaney will have a bulletin out as soon as he is able at iam141.org.

In Solidarity,
Jorge Bonilla

Well look what happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.