Iam Negotiations

USA320Pilot

Veteran
May 18, 2003
www.usaviation.com
IAM Negotiations

ARLINGTON (theHub.com) - With tentative agreements reached -- and the ratification process underway -- for the Communications Workers of America (CWA) and the Association of Flight Attendants (AFA), the company remains in negotiations with only one union: the three bargaining units of the International Association of Machinists (IAM), as all parties await the ruling by bankruptcy Judge Stephen S. Mitchell, which could come as early as Jan. 6.

Jerry Glass, Senior Vice President of Employee Relations, remains optimistic that the company and the IAM can reach agreements that meet the cost savings targets and still reflect the input of the union.

Glass said that time is of the essence. “All of our cards are on the table and we are not holding anything back. We have consistently told the IAM that we would consider any ideas that they might have to meet the target savings. Every other labor group has met the target and we remain hopeful that consensual agreements can be reached,â€￾ Glass said.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

The IAM (M&R) gave the company a proposal Thursday evening and the company has not responded.

And your title is misleading.

Are you that pompous?

By law under section 1113c there has to be discussions.

And I don't care what the company propaganda has to say.

I know what is going on and what took place when.

Likes I said, the offer was given to the Company Thursday.

And you know it seems you take pleasure and glee on what is going on, you really need to seek some help.

Let me remind you again:

Companies that request abrogation of the labor agreement but it must meet the following nine (9) distinct requirements:

1. The debtor in possession must have made a proposal to the union.
2. The proposal must be based upon the most complete and reliable information available at the time of the proposal.
3. The modification must be necessary to permit reorganization.
4. The modification must provide that all affected parties be treated fairly and equitably.
5. The debtor must provide the union with such relevant information as is necessary to evaluate the proposal.
6. The debtor must have met with the collective bargaining representative at the reasonable times subsequent to making the proposal.
7. The debtor must have negotiated with the union concerning the proposal in good faith.
8. The union must have refused to accept the proposal with good cause.
9. The balance of the equities must clearly favor rejection of the agreement.

ALPA comment:

According to ALPA MEC chairman Captain Bill Pollock on December 17, "You should also know that during the time that the Company was negotiating with the AFA, IAM, and CWA, the amount of cost savings the Company was demanding from each group increased during bankruptcy, as it did with ours."

Complete Story

US Airways comment:

In a column titled "IAM Negotiations", Jerry Glass, US Airways senior vice president of employee relations said, "We have consistently told the IAM that we would consider any ideas that they might have to meet the target savings. Every other labor group has met the target and we remain hopeful that consensual agreements can be reached.â€￾

Complete Story

USA320Pilot comments: 700UW, I take no "pleasure and glee on what is going on" and I have argued for months for the "pain to stop", but the fact is the company intially sought $850 million in total labor concessions and today the number is closer to $1.1 billion per year. If the "hardliners" would have negotiated to protect their members, the cost cuts would have been less.

700UW, what's your opinion of Bill Pollock's comments above? After all, he is a US Airways board member and director.

Separately, on July 14, 2004, in a report to the US Airways ALPA Negotiating Committee, ALPA Investment Banker and Financial Advisor Michael Glanzer said in his Executive Summary, "Absent the implementation of a new cost structure either through negotiation or imposition through the bankruptcy process the Company will fail within the immediately foreseeable future. "Taking into account various assumptions made in the Transformation Plan, implementation of the Transformation Plan requires that the Company's total labor costs approximately be equal to a reasonably close range of those contemplated in the Transformation Plan."

700UW, what's your opinion of Michael Glanzer's comments above?

Best regards,

USA320Pilot

First of all I don't care what Jerry Glass says, he is not a trustworthy man, and just because Jerry says something it should be gospel?

I don't think so.

I don't care what Glanzer says when he is paid by US Airways to do a report for ALPA, and he has no airline experience and seems like a conflict of interest to me.

Pollack is a company man through and through, there is no way the head of a union should be on the BOD.

That is the same man who TERMINATED your PENSION without letting you even vote on it.

For the millionith time, let the IAM do what it must for its members, not for you nor any other employee at US Airways.

The IAM represents Workers, not Airlines.

And like I said and what Mrs Levine told Judge Mitchell, the IAM M&R gave the company a full and complete proposal Thursday evening and the Ramp gave them one on Wednesday,

Why did Lead Attorney Lietch tell the court that no proposals were given when they were?

700UW said:
First of all I don't care what Jerry Glass says, he is not a trustworthy man, and just because Jerry says something it should be gospel?
I don't think so.
The IAM represents Workers, not Airlines.

(in short)

mr 700w "this is the problem" not all workers are equal; but the iam refuses to accept
it

Mr.700w are you an aircraft mechanic? if so, would you please tell us what FAR, PART 43 AND
FAR PART 65 ARE ?

Do you know what AC 43.13/A1&2B STAND FOR ?

Do you know the meaning of the accronym F.A.R. ?

pardon me, i am only trying to figure out WHO YOU ARE.

No I am not a AMT.

And under the Duty of Fair Represenation the union by law has to represent everyone equally. The "And Relateds" pay dues just like the AMT does. Everyone out there is trying to earn a living to take care of themselves and their families.

FAR= Federal Air Regulations, and you do not have to have a certificate in order for the FAA to take civil or criminal action against you.

And figuring me out is not important.

PART 43--MAINTENANCE, PREVENTIVE MAINTENANCE, REBUILDING, AND ALTERATION

43.13 Performance rules (general).

a) Each person performing maintenance, alteration, or preventive
maintenance on an aircraft, engine, propeller, or appliance shall use
the methods, techniques, and practices prescribed in the current
manufacturer's maintenance manual or Instructions for Continued
Airworthiness prepared by its manufacturer, or other methods,
techniques, and practices acceptable to the Administrator, except as
noted in Sec. 43.16. He shall use the tools, equipment, and test
apparatus necessary to assure completion of the work in accordance with accepted industry practices. If special equipment or test apparatus is recommended by the manufacturer involved, he must use that equipment or apparatus or its equivalent acceptable to the Administrator.

b- Each person maintaining or altering, or performing preventive
maintenance, shall do that work in such a manner and use materials of
such a quality, that the condition of the aircraft, airframe, aircraft
engine, propeller, or appliance worked on will be at least equal to its
original or properly altered condition (with regard to aerodynamic
function, structural strength, resistance to vibration and
deterioration, and other qualities affecting airworthiness).

amt4u said:
Mr.700w are you an aircraft mechanic? if so, would you please tell us what FAR, PART 43 AND
FAR PART 65 ARE ?

Do you know what AC 43.13/A1&2B STAND FOR ?

Do you know the meaning of the accronym F.A.R. ?

pardon me, i am only trying to figure out WHO YOU ARE.
[post="230486"][/post]​
FAR PART 43=MAINTENANCE, PREVENTIVE MAINTENANCE, REBUILDING, AND ALTERATION

FAR PART 65=CERTIFICATION: AIRMEN OTHER THAN FLIGHT CREWMEMBERS

Accronym F.A.R=Federal Aviation Regulations

And to think I wasted all those years as a cleaner... go figure :p

Companies that request abrogation of the labor agreement but it must meet the following nine (9) distinct requirements:

1. The debtor in possession must have made a proposal to the union.

US Airways has tried, over and over, but the concession stand was closed until recently and apparently, it is now wide open.

2. The proposal must be based upon the most complete and reliable information available at the time of the proposal.

It does as very clearly articulated in the S.1113 motion.

3. The modification must be necessary to permit reorganization.

So far, the bankruptcy court has imposed a very "painful" 21% pay cut and not only permitted A320 outsourcing, but A330 outsourcing too.

4. The modification must provide that all affected parties be treated fairly and equitably.

US Airways senior vice president of employee relations Jerry Glass said that time is of the essence. “All of our cards are on the table and we are not holding anything back. We have consistently told the IAM that we would consider any ideas that they might have to meet the target savings. Every other labor group has met the target and we remain hopeful that consensual agreements can be reached,â€￾ Glass said.

5. The debtor must provide the union with such relevant information as is necessary to evaluate the proposal.

On November 16, William O'Driscoll and Randy Canale, president - general directing chairman of District Lodge #142 and #141 said, "Your Negotiating Committee reconvened at US Airways headquarters today. The Committee met with management to discuss various issues. Our economist is still going through the large amount of data provided to the IAM by the company; some of the information was received as late as yesterday."

6. The debtor must have met with the collective bargaining representative at the reasonable times subsequent to making the proposal.

On November 23, William O'Driscoll president - general directing chairman of District Lodge #142 said, "Your Negotiating Committee reconvened November 22nd and 23rd at US Airways headquarters.The Negotiating Committee will return to US Airways headquarters on Monday, November 29 and is scheduled to meet throughout the week."

7. The debtor must have negotiated with the union concerning the proposal in good faith.

Jerry Glass, Senior Vice President of Employee Relations, remains optimistic that the company and the IAM can reach agreements that meet the cost savings targets and still reflect the input of the union. Glass said that time is of the essence. “All of our cards are on the table and we are not holding anything back. We have consistently told the IAM that we would consider any ideas that they might have to meet the target savings. Every other labor group has met the target and we remain hopeful that consensual agreements can be reached,â€￾ Glass said.

8. The union must have refused to accept the proposal with good cause.

This point is still open.

On Decembeer 17, William O'Driscoll president - general directing chairman of District Lodge #142 said, Your Committee is well aware of the potential consequences of the 1113© process, but any consensual agreement must preserve the economic livelihood of IAM members at US Airways. Protecting your job security, wages and benefits remains your Negotiating Committee’s primary focus. We represent the interests of airline workers, not airlines.

We expect to have either a tentative agreement that is fair and just or, failing that, the company’s final offer to present to the membership for review and ratification before the bankruptcy court issues a ruling.

We understand that much needs to be done in order to reach an agreement and complete the ratification process in such a short time frame, especially over the holidays, but your negotiators are committed to getting it done.

9. The balance of the equities must clearly favor rejection of the agreement.

On November 18, William O'Driscoll and Randy Canale, president - general directing chairman of District Lodge #142 and #141 said, "Judge Stephen Mitchell today heard arguments in an Alexandria, VA bankruptcy court and denied the IAM’s motion for reconsideration of his Oct. 15 order that imposed temporary concessions on IAM members.

IAM attorneys argued the Oct. 15 order should be reconsidered for three reasons:

The wage and other reductions are causing substantial undue hardship upon IAM-represented employees;

Since the Oct 15 Order, the Air Line Pilots Association has ratified an agreement which provides for significantly less than a 21% wage reduction;

The Order awards US Airways 'interim' relief that, in reality, constitutes permanent relief. Specifically, the ability to outsource heavy maintenance and ceasing contributions to the IAM National Pension Plan."

USA320Pilot comments: US Airways has negotiated financial agreements with GE, the ATSB, and other parties that require by the first quarter that the company achieve a series of cost reductions and restructuring milestones, and it must complete its judicial restructuring and exit Chapter 11 by June 30, 2005. These cost reductions require full IAM participation in the new business plan or the airline loses its financing. Thus, with either a consensual or imposed agreement, US Airways will continue to operate and likely successfully restructure.

Thus, the IAM has a choice: obtain a consensual agreement or likely see even more "painful Imposition". When would now be a good time for the IAM to seek the best possible deal for its members?

Best regards,

USA320Pilot

P.S. To review IAM comments, click here.