Iam Negotiations

Ok Mel Gibson, come up with anymore conspiracy theories?

And I do not want to see US go Chapter 7, but if they can't understand the 50% of the mechanic and related won't lay themselves off, if they dont give them a fair contract then the place is doomed then. Same goes for Fleet.

Who says it's 50%?? You?? The all knowing?? Give me a break. You spout how you won't trust Jerry Glass' word in another thread yet everyone is supposed to take your word as gospel?? Yeah right! We all know your MO and how you operate. Isn't it time to start responding and agreeing to your own posts just like you did before?

The company wants to outsource all heavy maintenance, all shops, gse and all utility.

Can you not figure it out? It will cause the layoff of 50% of the mechanic and related workforce.

I guess since you are not an IAM member, nor a mechanic and related employee or even a US Airways employee, you would not understand that.

And if you dont believe me go ask the company. I know exactly what the company is seeking.

Go read the proposal offered, the court testimony, or any of the articles in the paper covering the story.

Keep trying.

Being a IAM member helping out on the negotiations doesn't mean you know what they want. All you know is what they asked and being the skilled and seasoned negotiatior that you are you should know that right Lav...I mean 700?? You always ask for more than you need and you never accept the first offer. The settlement always falls inbetween.
and you're in the know.....geeesh..

Only time will tell, but you are not dealing with the people and you do not know what is going on.

We shall all see by Jan 6th.

MrAeroMan said:
You always ask for more than you need and you never accept the first offer. The settlement always falls inbetween.

[post="230713"][/post]​

Better tell this to a certain A320pilot. :shock:

Aeroman,

The company has made the claim of laying it all on the table...the ask on Heavy Maintenance and giving up the Utility classification absolutely spells the end of over 50% of the jobs in the "Mechanic and Related" field. To assume less is blindly foolish.

Lets see for a moment.

All Avionics work is outsourced
Wheel and Brake Shop will be gone
The remainder of the INT Landing Gear and Plating Shop will be gone
Composite Shop Gone
Flight Control Shops will be gone
Seat Shops will be gone
Lavatory/Galley Shops Gone
Engine Shops Gone
Hangars 1 , 2 and 5 in PIT Gone ( Maybe 3 and 4 too )
CLT Base Maintenance Facility Gone
Utility Gone in the few remaining cities that has it.
Planners reduced by 70% by virtue of Heavy and Shop closures.
GSE Gone in all cities that remain at present

We will not only be voting ourselves out of jobs , but we will be taking a good number of middle management and administraitive types out with us by voting with the company...and the vast majority understand this with 20/20 vision un-like yourself. That includes the soon to be impacted Non-Union people whom know which way the wind blows too.

I feel certain that if the company approached the IAM with only wage reductions and work rule changes like that of what ALPA and the others were able to vote on..then yes , an an agreement could be struck in fairly quick order. However , we as IAM members are being asked to not only load the gun for the company , we are being asked to put it to our heads and pull the trigger too.

Lets put the shoe on the other foot for a moment....if the others were knowingly voting away thier jobs without buy-outs or other blow-numbing perks , whom other than ALPA's majority would be in favor of this? I'll bet the CWA wouldn't go for it...and I'm damn certain the AFA would tell them to take a long walk on a short pier too.

Frankly....what does U's survival mean to someone whom has been tossed out by reason of thier corporate greed and years of compounding stupidity? Not much !!

I'm loyal to the company...and I'm equally loyal to the preservation of the industry as a whole...but if being loyal equates to comitting career suicide or individual financial ruin? Well the loyalty well has just run dry.

Very well said Phantom!

No group is being asked to give up as much and vote themesleves out of a job.

Very well said , but it does not matter. There are thougsands who want your job at a new rate.... Why do you guys not see that? Why so you think iam has no choice but to agree to most of what the company wants. If iam members vote no, I firmly believe they will be replaced. Doesnt take a rocket man to figure that one out. Hey 700, how time off feeling?

Guess you did not figure it out.

US does not want to do the work in-house, they want to outsource it, so they won't be hiring anyone to work at US to do the job. Do you understand what outsource means?

The IAM and its members will not agree with the company, you will not get 50% of the workers in maintenance to vote themselves out of a job.

Time off? I am putting in over 40 hours a week. Have no idea of what you are talking about.

So. how did we get to this point? Didn't it start years ago when U bought a certain airline and was forced to hire over 700 mechanics PLUS cleaners to bring it into compliance with U's IAM contract?

Could very well be, but this won't help now. Lot's of people are going to be hurt either way.

A320 Driver

First of all Mechanics were hired as the fleet increased.

You forget a new facility was opened in 1990 in Charlotte and the place had to be staffed. Also the TPA hangar was built and had to be staffed as was IND Hangar.

Piedmont and US Airways both had Utility, PI only in a few cities, there was an increase of headcount due to increase of flying. European and Carribean expansion.

But since 1989 there has been lots of facilities closed, SAN (hangar and engine shop) UCA heavy Maintenance, INT heavy maintenance, GSO hangar, IND Hangar, ROA Hangar, BUF Hangar, CLE Hangar, DCA hanger closed and now reopened, MIA Hangar, ILM Hangar, and TPA hangar.

Maintenance stations have been closed since 1992 also, US is down to 18 maintenance stations from a high of 30+.

The maintenance department has been cut by almost half since the closing of INT, GSO, ROA, TPA and 9/11.

So maintenance has been hit very hard, there are more mechanic and related on furlough then pilots.

Where do we go from here, who knows, but you won't get 50% of the workforce to vote themselves out of a job.

700 then youre assuming that the other 50% will continue to work ? I thought the bruthers stood together. If the contract is voted down, whats your bruthers and sisters gonna do? They staying?

Back