New ID badges

The East flight crew ID's also have "CREW" written on them in bold letters. I believe this has to do with access, as well.

When the last batch of East ID's were issued, the CREW designation was left off the flight crew ID's, requiring that all flight crew ID's had to be re-issued, at great expense.

To the management folks monitoring this forum, let's not make that expensive mistake again, okay?
that was done as a security measure after 911. befroe 911 no airline crew id said "crew" on it. after that terrible day. i think the tsa required all airlines to place the "crew" designator on all flight crew badges. so i think this has to be put on all flight crew i.d's.

I believe the B&W for crews was mandated by the FAA eons before TSA even existed. My B&W photo is at least 15 years old and looks nothing like me anymore. It would seem like NOT looking like your photo would be a cause for security concerns, but no one ever even compares me to the picture. In effect, my picture could look like Daffy Duck and I'd probably get waved on to screening as long as the expiration date was good.

The B&W was used (I was told) to make the ID card universally valid at all airports. Technically, if you wander around a particular airport with a color-photo airline ID, you have to have another airport-specific ID. Most non-crew don't even bother with the airline ID at work anyway and rely strictly on the airport issued badge.

The B&W crew ID's were also planned to be valid for Universal Access Doors (UAS) to be in place at all airports for crews to bypass security. Of course, no airport or airline had to actually PROVIDE an FAA-qualified UAS door, so there is only ONE on the entire USAirways system (in CLT.) I believe the Chief Pilot Office and INFlight Office in CLT actually set aside money in their budgets to make that door a reality.

Flight crews are B/W, rest are color.
Why? "thats the way we've always done it"- USAir.

How many orginal U pilots to change a light bulb.. 1, because that the way we've always done it.

How many PI pilots...6, One to change the bulb, 5 to talk about how great the old bulb was.

PSA..nobody knows, they keep calling in sick

AWA...please.."insert joke here"

Thanks guys...Greeter.

Your full "legal" name is required on airline ID's now. No way around it since 9/11

And if ya read what I wrote, you'd see there is a FULL legal name on that badge. Mine has my nickname (ie the name I go by in everyday life) large, then smaller underneath it has Lastname, Given First Name.

As far as ID numbers, just give me something EASY to remember dangit! I think 123456 would be a good start. :D

How many orginal U pilots to change a light bulb.. 1, because that the way we've always done it.

How many PI pilots...6, One to change the bulb, 5 to talk about how great the old bulb was.

Thanks guys...Greeter.

"No lightbulbs for anyone, because it's too hot in PHX. Plus they are too expensive. "

And if ya read what I wrote, you'd see there is a FULL legal name on that badge.

It'll be interesting to see what name my new badge has - assuming they're issued before I retire. My "legal" name is James, but I go by Jim. Since the US/PI merger, US has had a split personality with respect to my name - some stuff I get is addressed "Jim" and some is addressed "James". But my US ID, unlike my PI ID, has always had "Jim" instead of "James".....

Jim

It would seem like NOT looking like your photo would be a cause for security concerns, but no one ever even compares me to the picture. In effect, my picture could look like Daffy Duck and I'd probably get waved on to screening as long as the expiration date was good.
Who actually looks at pictures anyway? When you write a check at the store (who does that anymore though??) and the cashier asks for ID, all they do is scribble down the number. I used to work in retail and people got upset when I wouldn't let them just write their ID number at the top of the check themselves.

But I digress :)

Thanks guys...Greeter.

Who needs a light bulb with a future as bright as ours?

A waste of money. Realy, don't we have more pressing things to spend money on?

By the way they are done in house. I assume the equipment is long paid for and your only talking the cost of the plastic and the pearsons time that processes them.

Back