New ID badges

US East Employee ID badges do not have experation dates on them, only if you are a flight crew.

Customers are not supposed to see people's ID badges. Flight Attendants are taught that thier ID is to be out of view or not worn onboard the aircraft.

Thats odd, that was not my understanding at all. We almost canceled a flight because an FA refused to remove the sticker on his badge he had over his name (he did not want customers to know his real name). Company policy does state you can not deface the badge, and that it is to be worn on the outer most garment, plainly visiable, in all secured areas. Unless I have a poor understanding of the term 'secured', this includes the planes...

maybe its possible the FA instructor who taught you that was incorrect?

SIDA badges expire
HP badges expire
US badges at this time do not expire

I thought there was a big stink shortly after 9/11 (like within 6months?) that the FAA or DOT required airlines to reissue all their employee badges and had to include the name/photo/employee id number/unique badge number (not emp id number) as well as a clearly visable expiration date.

Anyone have more details on that requirement or when it was enacted?

Thats odd, that was not my understanding at all. We almost canceled a flight because an FA refused to remove the sticker on his badge he had over his name (he did not want customers to know his real name). Company policy does state you can not deface the badge, and that it is to be worn on the outer most garment, plainly visiable, in all secured areas. Unless I have a poor understanding of the term 'secured', this includes the planes...

maybe its possible the FA instructor who taught you that was incorrect?

Nope, your understanding is incorrect. Off the aircraft, IDs are to be displayed above waist level on the outermost garment. Onboard the aircraft, IDs are NOT to be in view of passengers, in fact some airlines ask that flight attendants remove them completely. US only says out of customer view, you'll find some will keep it on but keep it hidden in a pocket. Once onboard the aircraft, crew have already been verified. It's the same idea as passengers having cleared security- once they are in they are in. However, non-crew employees need thier IDs displayed while on board an aircraft on the ground.

You are correct that they cannot be defaced so a sticker over the name is a no-no. The F/A should not be showing an ID on the aircraft at all. Maybe this was on America West? Even so, it would be unusual for a carrier to want thier cabin crew flashing full names and employee numbers at customers, not just for security reasons, but also for the obvious reason of looking really tacky.

However, non-crew employees need thier IDs displayed while on board an aircraft on the ground.

I know exactly what you mean, but just in case any civilians don't.....

Non-crew employees working on-board the aircraft - cleaners, caterers, mechanics, etc - must display their ID onboard the aircraft, just as off the aircraft within the SIDA. Non-crew employees traveling onboard the aircraft do not - they're just like regular passengers.

Jim

I saw a new badge in the West today for an AWA admin employee.
Where the expired date is it said "NEVER", so I guess they don't expire. On the back it also had an old style AWA #, I guess for legacy computer systems?

US East Employee ID badges do not have experation dates on them, only if you are a flight crew.

The distinction stems from a small but important difference. TSA regulations require that all SIDA ID have an expiration date. All airport employees except flight crew are issued airport specific SIDA badges, which have the required expiration date, in addition to their employee ID.

Flight crew, on the other hand, are not issued airport specific SIDA badges - their company ID substitutes, and therefore must have an expiration date. I suspect, though can not find it in the regulations, that this may be the reason crew ID are B&W vs color for other employees.

Jim

Well, for the f/a that did not want their name displayed...they may be upset when the new wings are issued if they decide to go with the ones that awa has..they have their names(first) on their wings. Personally, I do not want my name displayed on my wings. I a think their wings are very tacky and cheap looking. They are sapposed to be designing new wings,,we saw what they did with the uniforms, I can only imagine what the wings will look like...uughh :(

US East has the coolest wings and they should not change them. That would be a tragedy. They don't need to change EVERYTHING- the name and symbol is the same and everyone loves the style of the wings.

Names on wings are so lame. The wings with the connected name bar look like kiddie wings or something a barbie doll has... old school and tacky. A seperate bar look ok but the idea of sharing your name with hundreds of strangers on an aircraft each day is a touchy subject and would not go over well. They shouldn't even go there... people will break the name off or wear thier old ones. I doubt they would try to force something so dumb on the workforce.

Well, I think we need to contact someone about asking the f/a's first what they wanna do about the wings...I am sure every East f/a will agree that they do not want their names displayed for all the passengers to see... I sure do not. I hate when they find out my name because the pilot says it..or another f/a and then they keep yelling it out on the a/c...

Well, I think we need to contact someone about asking the f/a's first what they wanna do about the wings...

Wasn't that decision already decided on a couple of months ago to keep the USAirways (original) wings?

As far as I know, wings have not been addressed.
And I have been following the uniform issue closely.
Name, no name, makes no diff to me. Nobody looks at them anyway.
I personally prefer to be addressed by name onboard.
Which is why I intro myself by name when I serve predeparture in FC. Even so, some pax still want to call me "Oh Miss" or Ma'am" which I find irritating.
And occassionlly I am called "stewardess" (which actually gives me a chuckle).

West employees, I think you can get an updated picture on your ID if you want.
Just go to the badging office.
I'm gonna need a name change, so mebbe its time for a new pic as well.

Maybe it's a geographical culture thing? It seems in these days of stalking, identity theft, and weirdos on airplanes most people would be leery of giving anything other than an employee number to a random stranger on an airplane.

Latest posts

Back