Next Big Thing in Oct- Merged Topics

If any other airline considered LCC as a partner then after reading this web site they may have very serious second thoughts. Hopefully we show the most vocal and smallest part of this airline.

Oh so what! At least we're not boring! That being said, US employees definitely need a meeting of the minds in a merger partner, you know, under paid, under appreciated, overworked, over medicated, likes liquor. Oh hell, that pretty much sums up the entire aviation industry in this country. Take your pick of airline partners ...

Later,
Eye

I would be willing to bet that Doug will be gone when his stock options/grants are fully vested. The caveat being if he can pull off another deal and further inflate his golden balloon (much bigger than a golden parachute).

How do you really feel about all the rumors? It has been widely thought that DP was the savior and such for the new airline industry post 9/11. He was able to convince a BK judge to allow the merger of US and doing so brought the legacy carriers into a frenzy. Now with his inability to close the deal with labor, the airline has become stagnant. ALPA is trying to de-certify from their union and go independant. IAM is in a war to make the company follow through with contractual obligations. The flight attendant contract is no closer from being written much less negotiated. And lastly, CWA and the agents have so much parity, no one knows if they can ever reach a deal...

Rumor has been that UAL would take the east ops, and CO would take the west ops. Leaving AA, DAL, and NW to find merge partners to strengthen market share. In the big scheme of things, LCC isn't a player to anyone, unless labor issues have been resolved. So why the rumors? No one is going to buy into a bag of crappy goods unless they have something to gain from it. Do the rumors start so labor can try to get negotiations going? Is there any fact basis to rumors?

DP talked about synergy. Promised creditors synergy. What the heck is synergy when this company continues to make money? And worse off HOW... This airline is run like a dump yard. Dump all of your eggs in one city (PHL) and make money. Make plans to fly to destinations you have no chance to get (China). Buy aircraft from manufacterers who have lent them money in the past (Airbus) instead of Boeing which make a more realistic aircraft for future projections. Use a computer system that is several generations behind the power curve.... The list goes on and on...

Recently, the news showed that LCC had the highest profit margin for the second quarter and should that same trend continue, will be the same for the third also. Who the heck needs synergy when you make money inspite of yourself. And then again what about the new COO. What's his gig... He already stated he wasn't going to do anything out of the ordinary in PHL in the near future. Read the news new boy... Phillys got problems... it is your job to fix them... not brush them under the carpet... Oh yea, I forgot this place is run like a dump... Go ahead and brush...

Now lets talk about FOCUS... Does DP have it? Does Kirby have it? Does anybody have it? Can this airline cotinue to make money with bad decisioins running rampant? Who knows... Stay tuned...

Thoughts?

Just my opinion...

Really good opinions. I think though that we are still a player because the Northeast is a gold mine, as proven by the fact that we are making money in spite of ourselves. We also have cash and access to credit. I certainly do not hope for any other mergers right now as we need to finish this one. But again, I also had hoped for cleaner planes, better on board products, decent contracts, etc. So my track record for hope is pretty poor .... just like our managment team!

I haven't noticed any rampant rumours of mergers from other carriers.

Also, LCC management is liquidating the USAirways brand into cash. And it is not investing in capital infrastructure to retain cash. Cash can help in a transaction. But it doesn't mean it's imminent.

We will be Northwest Airlines by October. Which name will they keep though??? Even if Northwest is bigger, there name is not a very good one in my opinion. I say keep the US name, but probably not.

We will be Northwest Airlines by October. Which name will they keep though??? Even if Northwest is bigger, there name is not a very good one in my opinion. I say keep the US name, but probably not.

If an NWA merger is true, they would be wise to scrap BOTH names and reinvent the airline as something else. Both the NWA and US products carry years of negativitiy and media hatred. Look at what a name change and new paint job did for Air Tran, a.k.a. ValuJet.

Anyone care to guess on a new name?

Back