Next Big Thing in Oct- Merged Topics

If an NWA merger is true, they would be wise to scrap BOTH names and reinvent the airline as something else. Both the NWA and US products carry years of negativitiy and media hatred. Look at what a name change and new paint job did for Air Tran, a.k.a. ValuJet.

Anyone care to guess on a new name?
Wal-Mart Air :up:

How 'bout TWA (assuming AA would sell the rights)?
No negative connotations--except for #800, and that's fading from memory--and a large part of the great non-frequent-flying populace out there (US's target market group nowadays, or so it seems from this board) thinks TW is still around anyway... B)

How 'bout TWA (assuming AA would sell the rights)?
No negative connotations--except for #800, and that's fading from memory--and a large part of the great non-frequent-flying populace out there (US's target market group nowadays, or so it seems from this board) thinks TW is still around anyway... B)

Funny you should say that -- I, too, thought about the idea of resurrecting an old name. US owns the naming rights to Piedmont (which I love for personal reasons). But, I was really thinking it would be cool to bring back the name Pan Am and their cool logo. I guess that brings with it bad memories, too (Lockerbie). Coming up with a new orignal name would be too hard, I suppose.

But, I was really thinking it would be cool to bring back the name Pan Am and their cool logo.

Unfortunately, the third (and by far the sorriest) incarnation of PanAm is still alive, if not well.
Saw a 727 in PA titles/colors at MIA just a few weeks ago...

The same owner of Pan Am owns a Railroad in NE. There are Box cars painted with the Pam Am Logo. And I think the corporate name is now Pam Am Railways since Boston & Maine was getting a bad name

If an NWA merger is true, they would be wise to scrap BOTH names and reinvent the airline as something else. Both the NWA and US products carry years of negativitiy and media hatred. Look at what a name change and new paint job did for Air Tran, a.k.a. ValuJet.

Actually, AirTran already existed and wanted to expand, and ValuJet had lots of ATL gates. ValuJet was going to be grounded by the FAA. You can't change your name and erase the wrath of the FAA.

Actually, AirTran already existed and wanted to expand, and ValuJet had lots of ATL gates. ValuJet was going to be grounded by the FAA. You can't change your name and erase the wrath of the FAA.

Oh...so Air Tran purchased Valujet then? I did not realize. Thanks for the correction.

We will be Northwest Airlines by October. Which name will they keep though??? Even if Northwest is bigger, there name is not a very good one in my opinion. I say keep the US name, but probably not.

Star Alliance or Sky Team?

I've seen those Pan Am boxcars, so lame. The airline is even lamer. They are based in Portsmouth and have Jetstream 32s and a few 727s. Shame to see such a great name used that way... why did they even bother?

One of my first flights as a child was on Pan Am.

Northwest Airlines plus
USAirways

equals

New World Airways (NWA)

or, because of the marketeers disdain for proper english, more likely: NeWorld Airways
hopefully not.

NWA splits US with UA. How that happens who knows? HP and NWA in the West, UA with US in the East, but the company will be ONE United Airlines!???? HMMM? Biggest airline in the World..... ;)

NWA splits US with UA. How that happens who knows? HP and NWA in the West, UA with US in the East, but the company will be ONE United Airlines!???? HMMM? Biggest airline in the World..... ;)

WCT...I have also heard the same comments. A small cheese at UA and an US staffer have mentioned similiar views on what may happen. US has started to separate from HP in subtle ways.

Back