OCT/NOV 2012 IAM Fleet Service Discussions

Discussion in 'American Airlines' started by Admin, Oct 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Admin

Admin Administrator

2. freedom

freedom Veteran

Whoo hoo !!! i want to merge with AA !!!!

let's go super airline !!! make it happen managment !!!

3. necigrad

necigrad Veteran

Freedom... One of these days... Seriously...

Is it wrong to wish objects traveling at a high rate of speed could travel through my monitor and out someone elses???

• Like Like x 2
  4. JFK Fleet Service

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  5. cltrat

cltrat Veteran

in this case I would say no it is not

• Like Like x 2
  6. Black Magic

Black Magic Veteran

Being based in phx you better pray night/day that they keep it a hub or you will be swept on to the streets!

• Like Like x 1
  7. robbedagain

robbedagain Veteran

if a merger happens this is the scenario i could see play out: lax dfw clt mia phl jfk ord hubs or ord a focus city along with dca its just my guess

8. ograc

ograc Veteran

I would be inclined to agree for the most part. Additionally, IMO... I foresee CLT or PHL being downsized in this merger senario as well. PHX is destined to be the next existing hub on the chopping block if ths merger goes through. Freedom... if you are stationed in PHX you better watch what you wish for. If you are stationed in PHX I would advise packing your bags. IMO... the members in PHX will experience the same consequences of those in PIT and LAS.
    ograc

• Like Like x 1
  9. wings396

wings396 Veteran

I'm going to disagree with you about CLT & PHL, but do think that PHX could see some cuts.

• Like Like x 1
  10. ograc

ograc Veteran

PHX will see more than just cuts. I'm thinking serious downsizing. PHL & CLT could experience reductions. A combined carrier would create major hubs (MIA, CLT, PHL, & JFK) on the east coast. Not to mention DCA. IMO...something is going to give. One thing is certain... when the proposed merger speaks of "synergies" it most certainly will result in reduced flight activity in redundant hubs. Subsequently, resulting in job loss or displacement for many. Will it be MIA, CLT, PHL, DCA or JFK ? No one knows for certain. One thing is certain... many will be adversly affected (West and East). Members working in existing hubs (both IAM and TWU represented) need to cross their fingers and hold their breath... for their futures may be adversly impacted with the impending merger.
    ograc
    ograc

11. ChockJockey

ChockJockey Veteran

Why do you think this?

12. Jester

Jester Veteran

PHX is not a particularly good location for a hub, in general, as it is too far south to make shorter route connections, except to San Diego or some locations in Mexico. It does not have particularly high fares given it is mostly a leisure market, and considerable competition from Southwest. The large size of the Phoenix market does not automatically dictate a good location for a hub.

Furthermore, if there was a merger with AA, then between AA's hubs in both DFW and LAX, much of the southwest and California markets could be covered more than adequately without having PHX sitting somewhere in the middle. Although I do not have the exact numbers in front of me, as I recall, the yields into LAX and DFW are considerably greater than what PHX offers.

If someone is thinking about buying a house in the Phoenix area and works for US, I would tell them to hold off, unless they have 25 years seniority.

Jester.

13. 700UW

700UW Corn Field

Doug has all ready stated CLT will grow if a merger with AA happens.

14. bagchucker

bagchucker Senior

Doug has stated many things that were proven false after the fact. Outsourcing comes to mind quite quickly. Don't continue to drink his Kool-aid.

15. bagchucker

bagchucker Senior

It has already been determined that if you want to remain employed with as a FSE, you need to be flexible and able to relocate to retain your job. As long as there are jobs in the system for us post-merger, I will pack my bags again if needed. It's my understanding that lots of AA FSE's are bailing out, whether it be voluntary or involuntary (early-out vs. outsourced/pink slipped). I would gladly go back to L.A. if given the opportunity.

16. necigrad

necigrad Veteran

Left to right...

LAX, DFW, ORD, CLT. Maybe JFK or MIA as a focus city. Just my opinion. Under no circumstances do I see anyone in PHX with a hire date after 2005 if this merger goes through. And that's being optimistic.

17. robbedagain

robbedagain Veteran

i agree the above post and bagchucker i also agree with you its only a matter of time but how would you look at it this way if your in a city lets say for example baltimore whereas you have mainline flights to the hubs and often military movements how do you see cities such as that staying either mainline or outsourced? i thought that may be us employees would be protected unless i misread that somewhere

18. john john

john john Contributor

Doesn’t AA contracts offer more jobs for non-mechanic fleet service employees. If so this could help expand the fleet service group at US If a merger took place

19. Jester

Jester Veteran

Assuming PHX becomes like LAS, I think you will need to cut deeper into the stack than just 2005... something like 1997 and that holds only a part-time line? I could only imagine the cost of living in L.A. for a part-time job... maybe Dallas?

20. ograc

ograc Veteran

I yield to Jester's response. That about covers my line of thinking.
    ograc

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.