overhaul

You despise what this union has become? When have they change?

I really do not want to burst anyone's bubble, but if you really believe the TWU is going to split wages between OH and the Line, you better visit the Employee Assistence Program.
This union has always been about protecting numbers at the expense of the licensed mechanics. Being a business it is in their best interest to do that. That hasn't changed. They are still about dues. As long as it has members it stays in business.
What has changed? The union has become a coddler of slugs with no leverage in negotiations. I would imagine that it hasn't ALWAYS been that way. I can say THAT has gotten worse in my time here.
It appeared to me that the last T/A was another step in the direction of splitting line and OH pay that was started in 1995 with the original SRP program. Upping that number to 40% of base maintenance and giving the line mechanics a line premium of $2.55 an hour seems obviously to me like splitting line and overhaul pay with the eventual goal of having the majority of OH unlicensed and the line wages more in line with the other airlines.

This union has always been about protecting numbers at the expense of the licensed mechanics. Being a business it is in their best interest to do that. That hasn't changed. They are still about dues. As long as it has members it stays in business.
What has changed? The union has become a coddler of slugs with no leverage in negotiations. I would imagine that it hasn't ALWAYS been that way. I can say THAT has gotten worse in my time here.
It appeared to me that the last T/A was another step in the direction of splitting line and OH pay that was started in 1995 with the original SRP program. Upping that number to 40% of base maintenance and giving the line mechanics a line premium of $2.55 an hour seems obviously to me like splitting line and overhaul pay with the eventual goal of having the majority of OH unlicensed and the line wages more in line with the other airlines.
very good points!

unfortunately the term sheet didn't specify seperate contracts for Line and OH, but I imagine AA could always present that to the judge. It would probably be in the union's best interest to preserve as many amt jobs on the line, and with the highest wages available. I will be very surprised if the TWU goes that route!!

I agree with you, either get separate contracts or do away with OH because it costs too much.

I did not say to split Line and OH. You might find that the Line costs could be higher than OH. It is not always the wage that dictates cost.
Look at the Term Sheet. The company is not indicating a wage cut.

It could well be that the company had the lowest wage and line maintenance and is enjoying it.

unfortunately the term sheet didn't specify seperate contracts for Line and OH, but I imagine AA could always present that to the judge. It would probably be in the union's best interest to preserve as many amt jobs on the line, and with the highest wages available. I will be very surprised if the TWU goes that route!!
The legality of separate contracts within the Mechanic craft and class has been called into question before. With few minor exceptions, none of their competitors pay their line different wages than their o/h and from the TWU's point of view it would go totally against their "strength in numbers" philosophy anyway. The compAAny's goal is to exceed profit parity with their competitors. Their innovative goals are to set lower industry standards in regard to pay, holidays, and vacation, with stricter work rules, sick pay, and expanded OSM usage. They will become the envy of their corporate peers and the bane of labor.

The legality of separate contracts within the Mechanic craft and class has been called into question before. With few minor exceptions, none of their competitors pay their line different wages than their o/h and from the TWU's point of view it would go totally against their "strength in numbers" philosophy anyway. The compAAny's goal is to exceed profit parity with their competitors. Their innovative goals are to set lower industry standards in regard to pay, holidays, and vacation, with stricter work rules, sick pay, and expanded OSM usage. They will become the envy of their corporate peers and the bane of labor.
In one of my earlier threads I indicated that OSM's will one day outnumber amt's at the bases, and it's evident by AA's actions that it's going to happen sooner rather than later. The amt's, I don't think, will have an appetite for non-licensed workers, that will represent the majority, to dictate our wages and benefits in the future.

As far as legality, when was the last time seperate contracts were challenged??? AA has one shot at destroying the M&R craft and class.....and I don't see anyone standing in their way. That's not very good news for the A&P mechanics industry wide.

The OSM's may have their license, however being compensated is another story.

I think AA is missing a big opportunity by not spinning off OH both AFW and TUL into it's own company, but under the AMR umbrella. Having an experienced workforce with the infrastructure already in place would be major hurdles already overcome if AMR opened it's own MRO.

Would a OH guy tell us if they would rather stay at Tulsa working for $28 an hour or move to OKC and make $28 an hour, or living in their home in Alliance Texas working for $28 an hour or staying with AA living in NY, or California for $33 an hour.

IMO AA is either wrong for not spinning off OH or wrong for not dumping all of OH, how many years have we heard that OH is costing AA too much in labor.

I have to agree with Duke787. As much as I despise what this union has become, had we voted yes on the T/A we would at last have the money in our pocket. (For the record I voted NO because of the Retiree Medical cut. Hoping there would be a counter from the company to keep at least that. I admit it was a mistake) No matter how we had voted I think this day was coming. There are too many restore and more/I want SWA pay guys IN OVERHAUL that the company would have had a hard time either paying OH less or forcing the OH mechs to the line. Too many guys just can't see what the industry had become and can only see what it was. It was a gamble and it appears we lost, for now.

Well said, I think those OH guys over estimated their worth to AA. Like I just posted, I would spin them off to their own company. Those guys are just to good to throw to the street. There must be money in MRO work as there are a lot of MRO company's. Unfortunately the T Town guys are pricing themselves out of the market.

I think AA is missing a big opportunity by not spinning off OH both AFW and TUL into it's own company, but under the AMR umbrella. Having an experienced workforce with the infrastructure already in place would be major hurdles already overcome if AMR opened it's own MRO.

Would a OH guy tell us if they would rather stay at Tulsa working for $28 an hour or move to OKC and make $28 an hour, or living in their home in Alliance Texas working for $28 an hour or staying with AA living in NY, or California for $33 an hour.

IMO AA is either wrong for not spinning off OH or wrong for not dumping all of OH, how many years have we heard that OH is costing AA too much in labor.

Sorry.....that's not an option......In order to make $28 you must go to JFK, ORD, LAX, or MIA....but hey, if you don't like it you can move to Tulsa! :D KARMA (def)destiny or fate, following as effect from cause.

Interesting. It appears that United, Jetblue, and National has been getting such a good deal on maintenance that they drove their MRO into BK. Looks like it might be costing more in the future.

If they drove their MRO into BK then all that means is that they will lower their labor costs....see you at the bottom!

Sounds like you are planning for a layoff?

How did you translate an MRO reducing costs in bankruptcy into my planning for a layoff? Blah Blah Blah..... I am only planning on out posting you so that I can gain contributor status. I still bow down every time I see " The most interesting man" commercials....it reminds me of your old picture....I miss those days!
;)

How did you translate an MRO reducing costs in bankruptcy into my planning for a layoff? Blah Blah Blah..... I am only planning on out posting you so that I can gain contributor status. I still bow down every time I see " The most interesting man" commercials....it reminds me of your old picture....I miss those days!
;)

Ok have fun.

But you cannot outpost me to obtain contributor status

Back