Poor Customer Service on a Premium Flight--Comments Please

I'm embarrassed to see what's become of AA. It's been 13 years since I left, and it seems the airline I worked for died the day Gerard quit.

I'm embarrassed to see what's become of AA. It's been 13 years since I left, and it seems the airline I worked for died the day Gerard quit.
that would be correct. i had the opportunity to meet Gerard an he seemed to be a nice guy. very sincere. but yes its turning into a giant america west with northwest management calling the shots. should be interesting to see whats left 10 years from now if there is an airline left. the interesting thing is that they pulled a mini frank lorenzo at northwest and are trying it again.

In that How to memo about apologizing correctly and effectively, as Art mentioned, note that there is no admonition to provide the correct and deserved service and avoid the need for apologies. We won't tell you or order you to carry-out the garbage, just how to apologize for the galley smelling to high heaven. I don't think I would count that as a solution.

In that How to memo about apologizing correctly and effectively, as Art mentioned, note that there is no admonition to provide the correct and deserved service and avoid the need for apologies. We won't tell you or order you to carry-out the garbage, just how to apologize for the galley smelling to high heaven. I don't think I would count that as a solution.
that is what we have descended to...

There is very little time spent on these pages to go over the changes the entire industry has gone though since the "glory days".

Deregulation and consolidation has turned aviation from a service industry into a volume industry. Every airline does it and although most are focused on AA because of contract negotiations or just built up frustrations, few have noticed what's happened in the industry and continue to pine for a bygone era.

With all this perceived service failures the Industry is in the midst of the longest stretch of financial health in it's history, including unprecedented profits.

There is less competition and more consolidation, passengers just don't have the same choices. Pack 'em in, they'll pay.

There's a better than even chance that the agents at the self-service counter were not American employees. They are contract workers who have no airline benefits other than their paycheck--just like the "agents" in smaller stations like BHM orGRK. I'm surprised that one of the agents was able to help. If it's not an activity usual to their job (agent at self-service counter), I don't think they are trained to do it.

But, Art, you are correct as usual with your "no wonder" statement.

Once the merger happened and AA's agents unionized, any remaining customer service on the ground went in the toilet.

People love flying on Delta. Delta's agents are legendary for service. And they're fiercely non-union.

Okay, E. Do NOT get me started on the subject of employees who think union membership means they do not have to do their jobs. However, I don't think this applies in the situation described here. In traveling non-rev I've seen some unfortunate customer "service" from contract employees.

There is very little time spent on these pages to go over the changes the entire industry has gone though since the "glory days".

Deregulation and consolidation has turned aviation from a service industry into a volume industry. Every airline does it and although most are focused on AA because of contract negotiations or just built up frustrations, few have noticed what's happened in the industry and continue to pine for a bygone era.

With all this perceived service failures the Industry is in the midst of the longest stretch of financial health in it's history, including unprecedented profits.

There is less competition and more consolidation, passengers just don't have the same choices. Pack 'em in, they'll pay.

That would be true, except in AA's case, where they actually lose money running an airline, but they are saved and profitable because they sell their miles to credit card issuers. Their ENTIRE profit comes from that business, NOT running an airline....think about it for a minute......

As long as there is an A$$ in the seat the company does not care! Customers need to vote with their wallet for any product or service to get a businesses attention.

Reactions: Dea Certe
Hey guys! Long time, no see! I’m still here, still enjoy my work and my customers and despair over what its become. I’ll be retiring soon, will miss the days we had a quality product. When our management listened to what we needed and how to make it better. I do my best daily, for me. I’m hoping maybe the DOT might give it a look? It’s not just a comfort issue, it’s a safety issue.

I still enjoy my customers, most of my coworkers and will miss the good times.