Problem Identified

proAMFA

Senior
Sep 28, 2003
All this debate of which organization is a real union and which orgainization is not has nothing to do with affiliation.

I couldn't help reading about whether or not the Pilots Union will or will not support the mechanics and related at NWA if they go out on strike. I couldn't help but notice that the flight attendants union is having a vote whether or not to support the mechanics if they strike. And the "Fighting Machinists"-the IAM, well let's just say they don't appear to be living up to their name.

There is no debate in my book, if your orgainization elects to have its members cross a picket line then they are not a real union. REAL UNIONS DO NOT CROSS PICKET LINES!

Simple as that.

Are we going to start behaving as real union brothers and sisters or are the Airlines going to continue whittling down our numbers, pay, and benefits?

Are we going to start behaving as real union brothers and sisters or are the Airlines going to continue whittling down our numbers, pay, and benefits?

Dear proAMPA,

Im indeed sorry to report to you that unions are indeed becoming a thing of the past. A lot of them do have a future but it is indeed finite. As a member of your union you shouldn't have any problem requesting and getting last years books and reviewing them. First you have to get the total number of members multiply that by the amount of dues payed per month then multiply that by twelve. Now you have a rough amount of what was payed into the union that year. Then look at January's thru December's statements and total the number of total deposits for that year minus any intrest earned. This value should be pretty close to your rough value. Now total all the debits for the same twelve months. So now we have the total amount recieved and the total amount spent for that year. I think at this time you will be appaled at the numbers you are seeing. You can't stop there though because you now have to review the checks to see where all the money went, I think your going to find that alot of the money went towards charge cards and credit cards now you are going to have to go back to your union and request the past years history on all charge cards and credit cards to really see where the money went, and that is when you are really going to get mad. I believe that you are going to find that about 85% of that money went towards your union leaders salaries and their extravagant conventions, that you weren't invited to, their vehicles and fuel.
Im not trying to rain on your parade but just stateing something that you as a union member should investigate. Unions are untrustworthy bigots that play you like pawns so they can revel in their greedy needs. They really need to be exposed.
Please post your findings and share your results with us.

Thank You Mike Wallace,

I agree with you that things are not as they should be. And the state of unionism in America is in real trouble. A union is supposed to serve their boss the membership rather than themselves. Unless the workers can get unions to throw aside their greedy self-interests and concentrate on the job their paid to do we are indeed in serious trouble. My post was about unions and how they should behave toward the other union organizations. If unions continue to cross each others picket lines then I predict things will continue on as they have in the recent past. Divide and Conquer. I'm not here to indict unions over their finances I'm on this board to urge union members to support each other in order to accomplish important goals. For a union to tell its membership to cross picket lines and have a no strike/no lockout clause that allows the membership to cross a picket line is poor unionism.
Their is only one aviation union I know of that makes it clear its members will not cross a picket line, that union is AMFA.

I'll admit that a unions finances are worth looking into-of course. In case you haven't been here check out this site

http://www.dol.gov/esa/regs/compliance/olms/rrlo/lmrda.htm

keeptheodds said:

Dear proAMPA,

Im indeed sorry to report to you that unions are indeed becoming a thing of the past. A lot of them do have a future but it is indeed finite.

And what makes you an expert on Unions? Have you ever belonged to one?

As a member of your union you shouldn't have any problem requesting and getting last years books and reviewing them. First you have to get the total number of members multiply that by the amount of dues payed per month then multiply that by twelve. Now you have a rough amount of what was payed into the union that year. Then look at January's thru December's statements and total the number of total deposits for that year minus any intrest earned. This value should be pretty close to your rough value. Now total all the debits for the same twelve months. So now we have the total amount recieved and the total amount spent for that year. I think at this time you will be appaled at the numbers you are seeing. You can't stop there though because you now have to review the checks to see where all the money went, I think your going to find that alot of the money went towards charge cards and credit cards now you are going to have to go back to your union and request the past years history on all charge cards and credit cards to really see where the money went, and that is when you are really going to get mad. I believe that you are going to find that about 85% of that money went towards your union leaders salaries and their extravagant conventions, that you weren't invited to, their vehicles and fuel.

Well actually anyone can look at it, just go to the DOL website, look at the LM-2 for any union or Local you like.

Im not trying to rain on your parade but just stateing something that you as a union member should investigate. Unions are untrustworthy bigots that play you like pawns so they can revel in their greedy needs. They really need to be exposed.
Please post your findings and share your results with us

And what are corporations? The friends of working people? I'll agree that there are serious problems with the labor movement. You may even be right ain regards to todays unions but the concept is valid and maybe the qicker the corrput usesless organizations of today die off the sooner something else can rise in its place.

Bob Owens Posted Aug 15 2005, 01:52 PM
And what makes you an expert on Unions? Have you ever belonged to one?

Who is this question directed to?