Prop 8 over turned in CA

Dell,

We are not taking about civil rights. That was my mistake and I am sorry for using the wrong term. We are speaking of equal rights. All laws must address all people the same. The 14th amendment does not all for discrimination.

Reactions: 1 person
Obama drops defense of law against gay marriage

"The president has concluded that given a number of factors, including a documented history of discrimination, classifications based on sexual orientation should be subject to a more heightened standard of scrutiny," Holder said.

The key provisions in the law "fails to meet that standard and is therefore unconstitutional."

Judge's partner cited in Prop 8 case

SAN FRANCISCO – The sponsors of California's same-sex marriage ban said Monday that the recent disclosure by the federal judge who struck down Proposition 8 that he is in a long-term relationship with another man has given them new grounds to have his historic ruling overturned.

Walker, a 67-year-old Republican appointee, declared Proposition 8 to be an unconstitutional violation of gay Californian's civil rights last summer. He retired from the bench at the end of February.

Protect Marriage general counsel Andy Pugno said that changed when the judge this month told a group of courthouse reporters about his 10-year relationship. The issue is not that Walker is gay, but that his relationship status made him too similar to the same-sex couples who sued for the right to marry, Pugno said.
B)

I do not see how the judges sexual status would/should affect anything. Are they implying that only a straight judge could make a fair and impartial decision on a case involving the future of gay couples? I hope they get laughed out of the appeals court.

I do not see how the judges sexual status would/should affect anything. Are they implying that only a straight judge could make a fair and impartial decision on a case involving the future of gay couples? I hope they get laughed out of the appeals court.

His sexual status is 'male', his preference is 'other males', if he is such an 'honest' stalwart in law, why would he hide his preference until after he retired?
B)

Impropriety & Impartiality are not really what's at stake her. It's the APPEARANCE of same that apparently has some concerned.

Roll back the clock to AL in the 1950's. Were judges and juries there capable of giving a black man a fair trial? Often the answer was a resounding NO. The impropriety then was real, not made up. So bad that even today 50 years later, many blacks still feel a fair trial in the south is beyond their reach.

I can easily see why some conservative Christian groups could feel like a gay judge would not be impartial. The modern day Conservative Christian has a lot in common with the black man of the south some 50 years ago in that they both feel they're treated unfairly buy the judicial system.

I am not saying I agree with them, just that I can see where they're coming from.

His sexual status is 'male', his preference is 'other males', if he is such an 'honest' stalwart in law, why would he hide his preference until after he retired?
B)

What business is it of yours or anyone else who he likes? Are judges required to state their sexual preferences somewhere?

Impropriety & Impartiality are not really what's at stake her. It's the APPEARANCE of same that apparently has some concerned.

Roll back the clock to AL in the 1950's. Were judges and juries there capable of giving a black man a fair trial? Often the answer was a resounding NO. The impropriety then was real, not made up. So bad that even today 50 years later, many blacks still feel a fair trial in the south is beyond their reach.

I can easily see why some conservative Christian groups could feel like a gay judge would not be impartial. The modern day Conservative Christian has a lot in common with the black man of the south some 50 years ago in that they both feel they're treated unfairly buy the judicial system.

I am not saying I agree with them, just that I can see where they're coming from.

I'm sorry but that is the biggest load of horse crap since the idea of abolishing public education. The idea that Christians are some how mistreated by the judicial system is at least laughable, obscene but laughable. Why just the other day I read that a nut job claiming to be christian lost a case about freedom of speech ... OH no....they won that case.

Where do you come up with this crap?

If this is a conflict of interest then every case seen before every judge will have a conflict of some sort. No female judge can rule on females and vice-versa. A black judge cannot rule on blacks and vice-versa and the list goes on. Funny how no one is making a case over these types of cases. I guess people have come to accept blacks and women as being equal under the law.

This better be laughed out of the appellate court or the legal system will become even more of a laughing stock than it already is.

Reactions: 2 people
I'm sorry but that is the biggest load of horse crap since the idea of abolishing public education. The idea that Christians are some how mistreated by the judicial system is at least laughable, obscene but laughable. Why just the other day I read that a nut job claiming to be christian lost a case about freedom of speech ... OH no....they won that case.

Whoa! Slow down I said some "Feel" like they're not treated fairly I never said they were! However always remember perception is reality. Blacks were denied equal justice this is fact, Today like some Christians it's more of a feeling, but again perception is reality. I never said their opinion or feeling was right.

If this is a conflict of interest then every case seen before every judge will have a conflict of some sort. No female judge can rule on females and vice-versa. A black judge cannot rule on blacks and vice-versa and the list goes on. Funny how no one is making a case over these types of cases. I guess people have come to accept blacks and women as being equal under the law.

This better be laughed out of the appellate court or the legal system will become even more of a laughing stock than it already is.

Hopefully it will be adjudicated under the law and not have new law made by activist judges. Again I never said I agreed with them, I said I understood where they're coming from. You know my view on Gay Marriage is "Why Not? Let them be miserable like the rest of us" If you spend anytime around Conservative Evangelical Christians, Homosexuality and Gay Marriage is an assault upon their core values and beliefs. Right or wrong it strikes at the very heart of all they hold dear. Given this, how do you think they'd react to a gay judge?

I'm not here to say their argument does or doesn't have merit, I just know where they're coming from and in that context I understand. To me ones choice of romantic partners is NOT the business of Government. For me it's kind of simple:

Think Homosexuality is wrong? COOL, Don't have sex with someone of the same gender. Pretty simple.
Think Abortion is wrong? Don't have one!
Think Tattoos are the mark of the devil? FINE Don't get a tattoo.
And so it goes. Someone once asked me what the Libertarian philosophy was and half joking I said "I can sum it up in three words, LEAVE ME ALONE" If I decide to become a Gay Ob-GYN who works in drag with my flaming queen lover as my Scrub Nurse at an abortion clinic with Tattoos and piercings, It's nobody that's in Governments damn business. You want my opinion this crap shouldn't be clogging up the courts

Latest posts