Question for West Flight Attendants

Well the West way of doing things for beverage service is very efficient and the passengers like it...It is no way amateur and provides a good product to our passengers who pay good money to be taken care of.

On transcon flights or anything over 2hrs with BOB, we start off with a full beverage service, Full can and tidbits, followed by a trash service with empty drawers to collect cans, and if you dump all items out of the cup and stack it makes for great trash management.
Our BOB service has both FAs one on each side one selling BOB, the other offering Water and Coffee. If I am working B, though I will set up a full beverage cart w/ice for the C FA to offer refills rather than telling the passenger that we will bring it back. This way, we take care of their needs and satisfy their beverage/meal choice.
Once this is completed, we go through again with another trash service, and an hour-hour half will go out and do a full beverage service by pouring.
If you fill the cups or as you Easties call it Party cups with appropriate ice, not skimping, you can get two full cups of beverage out of one can of soda.

It has worked for those of us over on the West side of the operations, and we do place the ice bin on top that is lined with ICE, and it has NEVER fallen off!

It amazes me when I fly on East metal and see some of the odd configurations of putting ice on top...two ice bags just sitting on top of the cart in no bin, no wonder why you dont like the ice on top, because you dont know how to set it up properly! Guess us Westies over at Amateur West need to come out and show you a thing or two!

...no, really, it hasn't worked...

...when HP first started serving InFlight Cafe shortly after 9/11 we served push/pull. Someone threw a fit about being <<gasp>> alone with a full size beverage cart in YC and considered it to be a safety issue...so the folks sitting in cubicles at Food & Beverage came up with the "let's do a full beverage first then offer coffee and water with InFlight Cafe!" concept (yes, just like someone at the POLASKI club enjoying a cup of coffee with their fish sandwich). Many of us threw a fit and complained, but remember, HP was the king of micromanaging and the complaints of the evolved fell on deaf ears.

Working HP metal, in the last 4 years or so, my crews and I usually perform push/pull, then coffee, just like east (it started years before the merger). It makes more sense, therefore we do it. You see, not all of us out west are kool-aid drinking sissies. Actually, the vast majority of the "westies" are uber cool...but that's for a different thread.

I call the current HP InFlight Cafe service the "No no no, no no..." service. Remember the David Spade Captial One commercials? When you're offering drinks the passenger wants food...no is the answer. "That service is later!" Then, during InFlight Cafe the passenger wants a glass of wine or a Sprite...again, no is the answer. "We have coffee or water!" Room temperature water, with no ice, may I add. It's a classic example of HP trying to reinvent the wheel. Push/pull is 1000% more efficient.

As for full can Vs. cup debate, I offer the full can 99% of the time. I don't have time to stand in the aisle waiting for the Diet Coke to fizz in a 7-11 BigGulp sized Party Cup. The can it is. (FYI, premerger...HP had much smaller cups with the HP logo on them, the current party cups must have been on sale...they're so fragile and tacky...I hate them.) Strangely, on HP, we offer a full beverage on segments like LAX-LAS, SNA-LAS...these flights usually last from 38 mins to 42 mins. Imagine 2 F/As serving 138 passengers in YC on an A320 in 38 mins. Can, cup, who cares...it's rushed and unprofessional. I love serving...but offering a full beverage service on segments this short is just plain absurd...drink, drink, drink...now give it back, give it back...so tacky and unrefined.

As for the ice issue...I could really care less if the ice is on top of the cart or in a drawer inside the cart. I'm more worried about the fact that sometimes we don't even get ice. But as for service flow (InFlight Cafe) and service parameters (segments like LAX-LAS), let's use some common sense, and do what is clearly the best flow for the crew and passengers...KISS...Keep It Simple Stupid...

CAN! No matter what!
Tell the morons in Tempe that! If we get check rided, we are not allowed to can unless it is a Inflight cafe flight. Most of our check rides are on two hour flights. Also a lot of fa's have problem with giving pax's two snacks each??! IF you have enough just do it. Most of them have three pretzels in them anyway. I just hope you easties aren't subject to our nosey inflight mgmt style anytime soon. They are on the rampage again...! :rolleyes:

Just for S & G's I would LOVE to take two of the most fearsome inflight folks that do your check rides out west and put them on a transatlantic flight to check ride them. I'd LOVE to be there for the debrief or coaching. OH MY! ! ! ! :lol:

Just for S & G's I would LOVE to take two of the most fearsome inflight folks that do your check rides out west and put them on a transatlantic flight to check ride them. I'd LOVE to be there for the debrief or coaching. OH MY! ! ! ! :lol:
I say wrangler em all up and put them on one of you TransAtlantic specials, I am sure they would come out a whole different person!!! :lol:

Latest posts

Back