RUMOR CONTROL

It would be nice if America West actually CLEARED their standby lists.

At US-East, we are trained to not hound the gate agents. We're trained that its ok to politely ask how its looking, but to take our seats and wait to be called.

I have done this TWO TIMES now in PHX.

And both times, the planes left with empty seats and myself in the gate area.

The excuse "Omg, I'm so sorry, I forgot about you".

I spoke to a supervisor who told me "oh, well here you have to remind us".

Maybe this is why HP's payroll is so small and why most of HP doesn't like the seniority thing -- cause their turnover is higher and therefor has a heck of a lot more junior people. When I fly thru San Fran, the East agents appear to be in their late 40s, 50s.. the HP gang seems quite young... not saying they're inept, but it appears they are newer to the scene than some of the other guys.

I've never been left behind on a US-East flight, or if I have, the controlling gate agent at least had the balls to make an announcement and say the flight is full (or what not).

East Meets West is becoming a very interesting soap opera.

You are so right! I was nonreving to SNA from PHX one day and there were over 25 on stand by. The flight was only 1/2 full. Becuase the flight was running late, the gate agent tried to close the door and send the plane without us. We figured out what was going on called for a Sup and started to go down the jetway. We all got on, but only because we had to force ourselves on.

It is ridiculous to have to remind gate agents that you are standing by. They have it all in their computer, if they would just look!

It's kind of like a FA telling the non rev gate agent "oops, sorry you didn't get any service, you have to remind us that you are here!"

OK, so try and sell me on this. Lets say you have 5 employees. Number 1 will be the most senior. Number 5 the most junior. If number 2 employee has 4 family members with them everybody below #2 gets bumped ? If this true, talk about a nightmare at the gates.
Happens everyday no problem this satiation is the same as FCFC

im a usair/east employee and i welcome first come first serve.........puts everyone on a reletivly level playing field.......
No it doesn’t to many loop holds

i would think the reserves would want fcfs just to get even with those senior bh who wont let us pick up off the etb if they cant commute they cant fly hmmm what goes around is gonna come back around....JUST A THOUGHT
Huh? How does a person block ANYONE from picking up a trip that has been posted on the ETB? It's a free for all. No way of saying...DO NOT GIVE LOW-LIFE RESERVES ANY OF THESE HARD EARNED SENIOR TRIPS," unless they are based in PIT and have 25 years, of course." Have you actually used the ETB?

I think in one of Mike's (I think it was Mike it was from a union rep)letters he talked about lineholders pulling ETB trips if the person they didn't want picking up the trip was trying to pick it up. For example if they were a reserve the line holder would pull the trip.

I have not used the ETB except to pick up trips, but I think I seen a feature they can check off to be contacted prior to the trip being awarded. Anyway, I am not 100% sure, but if you go back a couple of e-lines (e-mails) from Mike I am sure you can find it. It was not that long ago that he addressed this issue.

I also heard a rumor that they started their own board and want people to pay them to pick-up their trips. How true that is I dunno.

I think in one of Mike's (I think it was Mike it was from a union rep)letters he talked about lineholders pulling ETB trips if the person they didn't want picking up the trip was trying to pick it up. For example if they were a reserve the line holder would pull the trip.

I have not used the ETB except to pick up trips, but I think I seen a feature they can check off to be contacted prior to the trip being awarded. Anyway, I am not 100% sure, but if you go back a couple of e-lines (e-mails) from Mike I am sure you can find it. It was not that long ago that he addressed this issue.

I also heard a rumor that they started their own board and want people to pay them to pick-up their trips. How true that is I dunno.
No, it is a free for all. You can not delete a posting once it has been picked up. You CAN take it off the board if you've changed your mind, but prior to someone clicking the "pick-up" button. After that point, it is a done deal. You can put what ever comments you wish in the comments box like "only award to good-looking F/As" but ultimately, that doesn't matter. People DO sometimes say to call or e-mail them if you want to trade, so that you can discuss the trips in question. This is only when the trip is offered as a "DROP/TRADE". There is money offered on the boards as incentives which is not legal, but there it is in the form of "hugs, kisses, thanks,etc." There is a direct trade also where you do it with another F/A. These are agreed upon between the two, and you would not be able to see it on the board. There really is no way that seniors could prevent juniors from picking up posted trips. Juniors are already very limited to what they can pick up, due to having to be legal. What may be unfair is that people who have nice trips, swap with others who have nice trips, so these pairings may never go on AIL, or ETB, effectively shutting out those who can not possibly hold say "Rome", for example. You'd have to wait for a dozen people on this trip to get sick at once!

S1, S3, S4, S5 S6 go by seniority on US Airways EAST
The only times you do not use seniority are OA employees and companions with out employees

And if you are senior management, you are space positive before revenue paying passengers.

OK, so try and sell me on this. Lets say you have 5 employees. Number 1 will be the most senior. Number 5 the most junior. If number 2 employee has 4 family members with them everybody below #2 gets bumped ? If this true, talk about a nightmare at the gates.

No different than the first person on the computer taking all of their travelers with them at the same CHECK IN time. Is there a difference?

For those that have access to a Sabre set, why dont you check out some flights some times and see just where you would fit if it were DOH. You might be surprised sometimes. Of course, I try not to travel unless the flight is wide open, but there have been times in the past with s*it seniority that I have gotten on. Just think of all the people that have left in the past year or two. Furlough or buyout, base closing, res closing, etc. We've probably lost about 25 senior people and hired that many or more just in my station. Multiply that systemwide and things might not look as bad as you think with your seniority if you have more than a year or so.

If it hasn't been decided, and you haven't sent your email to row23middle....then make a voice. My station is east and west together..(kinda)(ha ha), but in talking with everybody there as well as those who travel through and asking if they have given their opinion via row23middle, many of those for seniorty haven't taken the time to send an email, while those who like FCFS have.

Still believing the chorus will be heard if the voices speak up and sing to the appropriate audience.

Again....a HUGE majority of US east employees commute. A much smaller percentage of US west employees commute. ..........Again, it works for other carriers but they don't have nearly the percentage of folks commuting as USeast does compared to it's size. That is for sure.

Most (not all) commuters are pilots or F/As; as someone already pointed out, they have an option that other emplyoees don't have, the jumpseat.

"Flight Attendants removing trips from the ETB and reposting the trips after "seeing" the name of the person first in line to pick up the trip while it in pending status. "

http://www.afausairways.org/Eline/mar19_06.htm

Here is the e-line that talks about ETB trips being pulled when the lineholder does not approve of the person picking up the trip.

Still believing the chorus will be heard if the voices speak up and sing to the appropriate audience.
Hopefully they will evaluate the arguments, and decide based on what makes sense--not just what the majority of the people want. If people dont' get their way and make a federal case out of it ..then they're immature idiots that shouldn't be working here anyway (and that goes for people on both sides). Complaining about flights benefits is very counter-productive ..the public definitely won't have any sympathy for employees complaining about free travel!

Back