Snow Day

There was no where to return to. Gates were taken, inbounds cloged the allys.

It's JFK. It's winter. There was a blizzard. During cold weather ops, Tugs are left running to prevent freeze ups and no starts. Bag tugs are fitted with plows and the flight line is kept scraped. You push the empty planes to remote parking and allow full planes to the gate. That's the way its been done for decades.

Any way you slice it, there's no good excuse.

I also blame the pilots, the rules are thrown out the window when these things happen, find a mechanical situation and get these folks back in the terminal. A little more creativity and assertiveness is needed during these situations.
What's the pilot's incentive? Brakes off, doors closed, beacon on= flight time pay. May not be the situation here but that has happened before.

The reason pilots didn't call a bus and deplane the floks because the pilots don't have and union and their actions would have warranted termination.

PS Pilots...get a union!

two pages of moronic postings by clueless trolls who's only undertanding of the world comes from reading USA Today and MSNBC. Enjoy your little anti-jetblue love fest here children! You continue to prove why this forum is worthless as a place for informed discussion and information about the business of aviation.

I'll check back next year to find you all here doing the same thing.....what a bunch of low-life losers!

I guess when the you-know-what hits the fan, JetBlue is just like any other airline. :shock:

Actually, most airlines would of gotten their passengers protected on other flights by now. HUNDREDS of passengers are still camped out at JFK still waiting, FOUR DAYS NOW.

Actually, most airlines would of gotten their passengers protected on other flights by now. HUNDREDS of passengers are still camped out at JFK still waiting, FOUR DAYS NOW.

Wow...unreal. You are right. Most airlines would have gotten their passengers protected on other flights by now. I had no idea passengers were still waiting for flights after four days.

Unbelievable. And judging by the stroke "daedalus" is having with this thread, it looks like the "Blue Crew" is in major denial over the whole situation.

I guess when the you-know-what hits the fan, JetBlue is just like any other airline. :shock:
<_< <_< <_< Yes and how quickly people forget the fiasco in the 90's at DTW involving NW and more than one aircraft. Also, US had MANY similar instances ( although not quite so bad ) at PHL, LGA and CLT. Oh i vividly remember them! YIKES

Bottom line, JB should have CXLED or diverted aircraft to avoid this fiasco. Quite possible JB has little or NO experience with this kind of situation.Now the real test is how operationally will they rectify this and learn from this mistake. CREW PLANNING, OPERATIONS and SCHEDULING obviously needs to Rehabed...PRONTO!

JetBlue cancels more flights into Monday

By MARCUS FRANKLIN, Associated Press Writer

JetBlue called off almost a quarter of its flights for Monday but hoped that would be the last round of cancellations as it struggles to recover from the snowstorm that saw some travelers sitting on grounded planes for hours.

The airline had scheduled 600 flights for President's Day, more than the 550 to 575 flights it has on a normal Monday, but 139 of them were canceled, JetBlue announced late Saturday.

The latest cancellations were needed to make sure all flight crews had gotten the legally mandated amount of rest before returning to service, JetBlue Airways Corp. spokesman Sebastian White said Sunday.

"Canceling one more day's operations will really help reset our airline," White said Sunday.

All JetBlue flights were canceled in and out of 11 airports: Richmond, Va.; Pittsburgh; Charlotte and Raleigh/Durham, N.C.; Jacksonville, Fla.; Austin and Houston, Texas; Columbus, Ohio; Nashville; Portland, Maine; and Bermuda.

The cancellations followed hundreds of other canceled and delayed flights since Wednesday, when the snow and ice storm that had plowed across the Midwest struck the Northeast, grounding the company's airliners at John F. Kennedy International Airport.

White said JetBlue has been using several methods in efforts to reduce the backlog of passengers stalled by the storm, including charter flights, adding flights in certain regions, rebooking passengers who had some travel flexibility to later dates, and booking seats on other airlines.

He said the airline attempted to warn passengers of the latest cancelations by telephone and e-mail.

The disruptions also meant JetBlue faced mountains of luggage checked by would-be travelers. Some passengers complained that after their flights were canceled no one could find their bags.

White said the airline had teams out in the New York City area on Sunday delivering luggage to customers.

Today...

Jetblue: Give us one more day to get back to normal...

Tomorrow...

Jetblue: Oh, OK...we need one more day...

The day after...

Jetblue: OK...Just this one time...We need another day...

And the day after that...

Jetblue: JUST one more day...

How long is this "meltdown" going to continue?

Are the inmates running the asylum? This minor winter weather event really seems to have exposed some major flaws in the way Jetblue operates. The tales being told by folks over on flyertalk.com of refugee cities in Jetblue terminals for DAYS is simply unreal.

Geez...It's going to be summer before long...

Verb 1. ally with ally with - untie formally; of interest groups or countries
unite, unify - act in concert or unite in a common purpose or belief

Speaking of allies, I am glad Gen Patton did not allow excuses like yours.
So I missed the "e" and I get an English lesson. I don't think you got it though. If the pilots had no gate to retun to, then they had no gate to return to.
Funny you bring up Gen. Patton. If the GI had no ammo,no food, would the Gen. raise hell with that GI or find the Supply Officer? Hum?
I happen to live one town over from where the Gen.'s family still lives. Played hockey on the same team with one of the his grandsons.
Since you seem to be a fan of the Gen., I'll leave you with this. Before the war, he had a Yacht commissioned.
"Yacht" n., from the Dutch word "jaght" short for "jachtschip." It was a "Yawl",n.,fore and aft rigged sailboat with a mainsale, at least one jib, and a mizzenmast aft of the helm.
He named it the "When And If."
Beeing a fan of the Gen., I'm sure you can tell us what was behind that name.

It's JFK. It's winter. There was a blizzard. During cold weather ops, Tugs are left running to prevent freeze ups and no starts. Bag tugs are fitted with plows and the flight line is kept scraped. You push the empty planes to remote parking and allow full planes to the gate. That's the way its been done for decades.

Any way you slice it, there's no good excuse.
I'm with you pal. As a pilot (not for blue), I'm looking at it from a pilot's eyes. Blue comes out Black and Blue over this mess. It's Sunday night, what 3 days after the storm, and still a wreck.

After about 4 hours on the ground, the correct sequence of events for someone in the back:

1. Tell FA to tell the front that you want off. When that does not happen:

2. Dial 911. Inform dispatcher (and thus police) that you are being held against your will and that they either come out to the plane now and get you or respond to the call from B6 dispatch when:

3. Blow slide and step out into the snow.

No jury in the world is going to convict in this instance.

A
3. Blow slide and step out into the snow.

No jury in the world is going to convict in this instance.

Maybe not, but you may end up on the No-Fly list!!! :p

On the subject of deplaning when no gate is available, it's too bad that few aircraft have self contained airstairs anymore. (727, DC-9/MD-80). It would make it easier.

Latest posts