The Tech Thread

I'm interested in recording shows that are on the same time I want to watch something else.

Seal show is on the same time as Hannity for one......

vzbyk_s-200x150.gif
I see. I guess when I think of streaming I think of "on demand" (like Netflix or Youtube).

Let me see what I can come up with for recording streaming content.

I'm interested in recording shows that are on the same time I want to watch something else.

Seal show is on the same time as Hannity for one......

vzbyk_s-200x150.gif

What La is saying is that you have to think differently - if you are streaming - you can watch whatever you want, whenever you want. We are fast approaching a time where the show revolves around YOUR schedule - not the other way (as it has been for years). My kid and her fiance watch a show on the CW and they simply downloaded the CW channel on Roku - they can watch shows that were aired at their usual time slot at their convenience. And YouTube is an available channel on Roku...there is a LOT of stuff to see...There are tons of documentaries on Youtube that you can watch. My guess is that once you start streaming - it will take you less than a month to get used to the change.

I found no stand alone product that records streaming video for the consumer market, only computer programs.

What La is saying is that you have to think differently - if you are streaming - you can watch whatever you want, whenever you want. We are fast approaching a time where the show revolves around YOUR schedule - not the other way (as it has been for years).

Well sort of. That is mostly correct. However now there is "live" streaming that more or less happens in real time. That is not something you can watch on your schedule. Twitch is a perfect example of this. I suspect some sports events use this technology to. Sort of a pay per view live event kind of thing.

https://go.twitch.tv/ This site caters to online competitive gamers. If you go here you will see an example of live streaming. You will notice it says LIVE in the upper right hand corner.

These days you can stream onto anything. I have unlimited data so I watch Netflix or HULU on my phone to kill time while I wait (dentist, wife shopping, DMV, whatever)

Last edited:
I bought a Roku 2 device quite some time ago after Glenn Beck went off air on his own with Blaze TV. Dunno if it works with all thats out there now. It did have a lot of what you mention now but was quite limited then, a lot were subscription channels which, having Dish, didn't warrant a look. Maybe I'll hook it up and see how its grown.
Beck ended up on Dish and I quit using the Roku.

All this is relatively new to me as I just never messed with it. Like I said, two Sony TV's that refuse to quit..... LOL

I bought a Roku 2 device quite some time ago after Glenn Beck went off air on his own with Blaze TV. Dunno if it works with all thats out there now. It did have a lot of what you mention now but was quite limited then, a lot were subscription channels which, having Dish, didn't warrant a look. Maybe I'll hook it up and see how its grown.
Beck ended up on Dish and I quit using the Roku.

All this is relatively new to me as I just never messed with it. Like I said, two Sony TV's that refuse to quit..... LOL

Yea, but think how much you will save in electricity.
I used to have a 65" rear projection Panasonic that finally died.
Damn thing sucked about 200% more than my 65" Samsung LED.
It weighed over 300 lbs and I had to have it hauled out.
The Samsung is about 60 lbs and sucks power much less.
I bought it about 3-4 years ago for $2500 but I can get better now for under $1000.
My rear projection would be unusable in daylight unless I pulled all the curtains.
My Samsung is 'crystal' even at daylight.
Take the leap Dude, You'll never regret it.
JMHO

Yea, but think how much you will save in electricity.
I used to have a 65" rear projection Panasonic that finally died.
Damn thing sucked about 200% more than my 65" Samsung LED.
It weighed over 300 lbs and I had to have it hauled out.
The Samsung is about 60 lbs and sucks power much less.
I bought it about 3-4 years ago for $2500 but I can get better now for under $1000.
My rear projection would be unusable in daylight unless I pulled all the curtains.
My Samsung is 'crystal' even at daylight.
Take the leap Dude, You'll never regret it.
JMHO

Reading OLED is the cats ass....just read Sharp is building two new facilities and the expectation is mass production OLED screens which is the most expensive part....then prices will come down even more.....hopefully.
So in the mean time, I can now get a high end 4k for around $600 give or take.

What model Samsung?
If I get a non smart Tv and plug a Roku into it, its now basically a smart TV right?

My old Sony's, the aspect ratio sucks......if you put it on normal, the people look stretched an if you go to stretch, any wording appears larger then the screen....unless you go to normal. Thats irritating.

delldue all I can say is if your waiting to "futureproof" your TV you are going to be waiting a long, long time.

I mean there is TV tech out there the average consumer is not even aware of. For instance Lazer TV's.

Ever hear of a Lazer TV?

They have them.

http://www.lg.com/us/support/answers/tvs2013/laser/index
https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2013/06/lgs-100-inch-laser-tv-is-bonkers-to-look-at/
https://www.cnet.com/news/hisense-goes-big-at-ces-2015-with-100-inch-laser-cinema-tv/

Want to bet they won't have transparent displays or "wall paper" TV's soon?

delldue all I can say is if your waiting to "futureproof" your TV you are going to be waiting a long, long time.

I mean there is TV tech out there the average consumer is not even aware of. For instance Lazer TV's.

Ever hear of a Lazer TV?

They have them.

http://www.lg.com/us/support/answers/tvs2013/laser/index
https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2013/06/lgs-100-inch-laser-tv-is-bonkers-to-look-at/
https://www.cnet.com/news/hisense-goes-big-at-ces-2015-with-100-inch-laser-cinema-tv/

Want to bet they won't have transparent displays or "wall paper" TV's soon?

Future proofing doesn't work on computers nor will it work in this venue. However, Std HDTV already are dirt cheap and being replaced by 4K/UHD...even though industry is slowly utilizing those modes. It will use those modes big time. So one has to look ahead a bit. These ratings are a PIA....go through all this friggin technical rigamarole that blurs your vision and at the bottom of the review they tell you not to let all this crap frizz your hair too much as most of what they rated is vary hard to discern unless you specifically look for it. Sweet. WTF.
From what I saw online.....LG and Samsung are pretty reasonable and good tvs.....Sony a little more but usually a good pick........so they get into this edge lit being dim and direct being brighter......dark room vs daylite...How much does this matter?

I saw something a few years back with holographic projections via some laser technology....
Look to Japan for all your advances.....all this I phone/smart phone stuff was in use over there ten years ago before it came here......

Future proofing doesn't work on computers nor will it work in this venue. However, Std HDTV already are dirt cheap and being replaced by 4K/UHD...even though industry is slowly utilizing those modes. It will use those modes big time. So one has to look ahead a bit. These ratings are a PIA....go through all this friggin technical rigamarole that blurs your vision and at the bottom of the review they tell you not to let all this crap frizz your hair too much as most of what they rated is vary hard to discern unless you specifically look for it. Sweet. WTF.
From what I saw online.....LG and Samsung are pretty reasonable and good tvs.....Sony a little more but usually a good pick........so they get into this edge lit being dim and direct being brighter......dark room vs daylite...How much does this matter?

I saw something a few years back with holographic projections via some laser technology....
Look to Japan for all your advances.....all this I phone/smart phone stuff was in use over there ten years ago before it came here......

My father was a VP for Sony back in the 70's and 80's, and yes, they tended to "debug" new technologies in Japan before they deployed them on a worldwide basis. I have a Toshiba LED that I've had for about 5 years. Still has a great picture on it - and if there are better pictures, I wouldn't know about them because I am only watching the TV that is in my den - and I think it's great. I used to go with only Sony, but Sony changed after dad retired and their focus shifted to movies and media while TV and other electronics became kind of a sideline for them (except for videogaming). JMO.

A smart TV is basically just a TV with an internet connection. My Toshiba isn't smart, but the Roku I plugged into it has a wireless connection to my router and internet. IMHO, a "dumb" TV with a Roku is smarter than a smart TV as there are hundreds if not thousands additional channels available on the Roku.

I don't think the brightness is near the issue it used to be. Several years ago I had a 60 inch Toshiba DLP, which was kind of projection TV that used mirrors. When my TV room was in the basement, the picture was great. When I moved and my den had a large picture window, it was pretty much unwatchable during the daytime - hence the new TV. My current Toshiba LED has zero problems with ambient light, no matter how bright.

Again - when the TV in your den is the only one you are looking at, it doesn't really matter if the Samsung or the Toshiba or the Sony has a better picture. The only time it matters is when you see them side by side. I looked at TV's at Best Buy, and truth be told, the Samsung had a slightly better picture than my Toshiba, but it also cost about $500 more (it was 3D, and I would never have used it). Once I got it home, the picture was fantastic.

That brings up something else - I bought my TV from Best Buy because even though it was cheaper on Amazon, I was able to physically view and compare and ultimately decide on the TV for me. I felt that was worth something. Should Amazon be the demise of the "big box" stores, it's going to get even harder to decide which TV has the best picture, although I am sure that some people will buy two and return the one that they like less.

Reading OLED is the cats ass....just read Sharp is building two new facilities and the expectation is mass production OLED screens which is the most expensive part....then prices will come down even more.....hopefully.
So in the mean time, I can now get a high end 4k for around $600 give or take.

What model Samsung?
If I get a non smart Tv and plug a Roku into it, its now basically a smart TV right?

My old Sony's, the aspect ratio sucks......if you put it on normal, the people look stretched an if you go to stretch, any wording appears larger then the screen....unless you go to normal. Thats irritating.

I bought a Samsung Series 7 (7050) '65 inch' and I like it.
It is very bright in daylight and adjusts to ambient light as not to be too bright at night.
It has 1 component video input (for my old stuff), 1 SVGA, 1 USB and 3 HDMI inputs.
It is a 'smart tv' but I don't use the wi-fi as I have an HDMI port hooked up to my laptop for wi-fi.
I didn't want to hook it up to a 'Samsung' account.
Maybe I am 'overly cautious' but I don't want my 'smart tv' tracking what I watch.

But that's just me.

Good Luck Dude!

My 4K TV is LG.

Every word of the sentence above only had 2 characters. Every word but one had CAPS. :)

I have had problems with everything SONY I have bought in the last 10 years. I think they put too much focus on PlayStation. SONY used to be my go to brand. Not anymore.
I used to go with only Sony, but Sony changed after dad retired and their focus shifted to movies and media while TV and other electronics became kind of a sideline for them (except for videogaming). JMO.
I would have to say I totally agree with that statement.

If I were to buy a 4K TV today I would target LG or Sharp.

What you said about Japan is true. They do have tech we will not see for years. Using their phones to buy things from vending machines, micro projectors in their cell phones.

The best way to see how the display fares is to see the store display, hello Best Buy and Walmart. You can also read customer reviews on most retail sites.

We do have a store here in Tulsa called Video Revolutions that has tech the other stores probably won't see for 2 years. Take money........... and lots of it. I have seen TV's in that place sell for 20+ grand.

Last edited:
I'm just trying to see the difference between the fords and chevys before I go to Best Buy for a looky see. Boy, have I learned a lot in the last few days.

Last night I was watching a show on ABC, the Good Doctor, about this young doctor who is autistic and is in surgical residence.....Its not to bad.....highlights a lot about autism. He is odd in his ways and such, a friggin virtual memory on whatever he's in to. Well he wants to buy a HDTV.......so they show this one scene and he's about 2 foot from the TV screen and his mentor asks what he's doing and he replies "counting pixels". I had a moment on that...LOL

I'm just trying to see the difference between the fords and chevys before I go to Best Buy for a looky see. Boy, have I learned a lot in the last few days.

Last night I was watching a show on ABC, the Good Doctor, about this young doctor who is autistic and is in surgical residence.....Its not to bad.....highlights a lot about autism. He is odd in his ways and such, a friggin virtual memory on whatever he's in to. Well he wants to buy a HDTV.......so they show this one scene and he's about 2 foot from the TV screen and his mentor asks what he's doing and he replies "counting pixels". I had a moment on that...LOL
delldude my advice is to wait for 8K's to come out and get a 4K at rock bottom prices. I mean you waited this long. Also let's be honest, there is not that much out there that even uses 4K........