The Tech Thread

What is the benefit of using water (which is very heavy) over fire retardant?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aerial_firefighting

Newer retardants use ammonium sulfate or ammonium polyphosphate with attapulgite claythickener or diammonium phosphate with a guar gum derivative thickener. These are not only less toxic but act as fertilizers to help the regrowth of plants after the fire. Fire retardants often contain wetting agents, preservatives and rust inhibitors and are colored red with ferric oxide or fugitive color to mark where they have been dropped. Brand names of fire retardants for aerial application include Fire-Trol and Phos-Chek.

Some water-dropping aircraft carry tanks of a guar gum derivative to thicken the water and reduce runoff.

Best Buy this afternoon.

giphy.gif

That looks like me at the Sprint store yesterday. I've closed on 4 houses in my lifetime. The total time to close all 4 combined was less that it took to upgrade a phone.

No doubt.....the sales guy asked if I had been looking.....I said reading and learning.

My 2 Sony 27" tube pictures suddenly suck compared to what I was looking at today...LOL

Those 4K models are something, she was even taken back as she has a Bravia 1080 32" that's pretty nice but not to the level of 4K.

One TV was running with shots in NOLA by the ST Louis Cathedral where the horse drawn buggies are...We were there, she was impressed at the clarity being able to recollect the real scene.

Samsung, Sony and the LG's were all nice. LG OLED is the cats ass.

delldude did you wall mount the TV and if you did wall mount it did you take my advice and find one that fully extended gave you plenty of room to access the back of the TV?

Switch to 4k/HDR is moving along quite well, before you know it, it will be the new standard.

Leaning LG 55 C7 OLED, SJ5Y-S sound bar.

Dude......shoot the lock off.
delldude many of these sound bars offer "wireless" (the speakers have to hook to the wireless receiver with speaker cable and the receiver obviously requires electrical power) speaker kits for the rear channels.

Here is an example.

The LG Kit (Full Speaker System)
http://www.lg.com/us/home-audio/lg-SJ4R-wireless-surround-kit
Expect to pay about $250 for 4.1 for the kit

This is the model I have.

You can just get the rear speakers as well.

Last edited:
delldude many of these sound bars offer "wireless" (the speakers have to hook to the wireless receiver with speaker cable and the receiver obviously requires electrical power) speaker kits for the rear channels.

Here is an example.

The LG Kit (Full Speaker System)
http://www.lg.com/us/home-audio/lg-SJ4R-wireless-surround-kit
Expect to pay about $250 for 4.1 for the kit

This is the model I have.

You can just get the rear speakers as well.

I was talking to the guy about sound bars too......I have an old 90's vintage Pioneer surround system w/o a sub woofer......it does have decent rear speakers already mounted and wired. I'll get a sound bar kit and use the rears I have.

They had a SJ7 bar I think...it sounded good. Any chance you can hook a AM/FM tuner up to the sound bar?

I'll be wall mounting it too, with something like you mentioned. Wall mount looks better I think.

Now it's like...65 or 55 inch.....?

They had a SJ7 bar I think...it sounded good. Any chance you can hook a AM/FM tuner up to the sound bar?
I guess that depends on how technical you are. If you give me a couple of days I can figure something out.

Please note these soundbars have Bluetooth capability and can stream music from Bluetooth sources (like say.... your cell phone or laptop). So before I go through all the trouble of finding an AM/FM tuner solution does the Bluetooth solution work for you?

With a laptop with Bluetooth capability and Spotify it would be like having a virtual jukebox in your home.
I'll be wall mounting it too, with something like you mentioned. Wall mount looks better I think.
Care for one more recommendation? Put a recessed receptacle behind the TV. I would suggest at least a 4 gang box with two gangs used for electrical outlets, 1 gang for coaxial and one for Cat 6 ethernet (you can go wifi with your smart TV but cat 6 will provide a superior connection). This will allow for a clean look and flexibility in the future.

Here is an example (though with rj45 instead of Cat 6 and the rj45 and coaxial are sharing a gang)

LL

Now it's like...65 or 55 inch.....?
Can you please clarify I don't understand the intent of your question.

Last edited:
What is the benefit of using water (which is very heavy) over fire retardant?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aerial_firefighting

Newer retardants use ammonium sulfate or ammonium polyphosphate with attapulgite claythickener or diammonium phosphate with a guar gum derivative thickener. These are not only less toxic but act as fertilizers to help the regrowth of plants after the fire. Fire retardants often contain wetting agents, preservatives and rust inhibitors and are colored red with ferric oxide or fugitive color to mark where they have been dropped. Brand names of fire retardants for aerial application include Fire-Trol and Phos-Chek.

Some water-dropping aircraft carry tanks of a guar gum derivative to thicken the water and reduce runoff.
The down side to those aircraft is that once they drop their load, they have to land and refill their tanks. Which takes time. What's what is nice about the CL-415's, even though they mainly carry water, the fact that once they drop their loads, all they have to do is find a suitable local water source and refill on the fly, without stopping and can make three or four drops in areas the big boys can't in a third the time.

Last edited:
I guess that depends on how technical you are. If you give me a couple of days I can figure something out.

Please note these soundbars have Bluetooth capability and can stream music from Bluetooth sources (like say.... your cell phone or laptop). So before I go through all the trouble of finding an AM/FM tuner solution does the Bluetooth solution work for you?

With a laptop with Bluetooth capability and Spotify it would be like having a virtual jukebox in your home.Care for one more recommendation? Put a recessed receptacle behind the TV. I would suggest at least a 4 gang box with two gangs used for electrical outlets, 1 gang for coaxial and one for Cat 6 ethernet (you can go wifi with your smart TV but cat 6 will provide a superior connection). This will allow for a clean look and flexibility in the future.

Here is an example (though with rj45 instead of Cat 6 and the rj45 and coaxial are sharing a gang)

LL

Can you please clarify I don't understand the intent of your question.

I have an old Sony AM-FM tuner I got when a relative passed on.
mQ6w2o_S_3okoruOW61PZpA.jpg

It's in excellent shape and I just had a thought of running it through the sound bar if possible....
I already have a hole into the wall by the floor where I ran a 10'Dish Sat feed through which is in the same wall frame which will be behind the TV. I thought of putting an opening with some type trim behind the TV and running through the wall down to the surge strip and tie everything in that way. No visible wires.

What I meant is what size do I want now? A 55" or 65" TV.

Check this out, I got it too when I got the Sony tuner:

TC 788-4

dbe9b54d47f2ccb8c54ec7f550cebdc2.jpg

I am trying to find a better solution (all in one with a 3.5mm jack) but this is what I have come up with so far. I am having difficulty finding one with a 3.5mm jack. Though if you have RCA outputs you won't need that.

https://www.amazon.com/Musou-Digita...-5&keywords=analog+to+digital+audio+converter

This with appropriate cabling and adapters (if needed, such as an RCA to 3.5mm adapter and m2m 3.5mm cable) should meet your needs.

Feel free to shop around to meet quality needs if this does not meet those or give me your specs and I can try to match them.
71lA5kClVJL._SL1500_.jpg

71LNifVHZbL._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited: