Tulsa AMT movement.

chilokie1

Senior
May 11, 2005
Weeks ago the turbine building people were told a large amount of them would be
surplussed to the hangers. Since then we have heard rumors of many changes to the 
original plan, but as of yet nothing has happened.
Anybody  know anything definite ? We have heard rumors of Allegiant work, upgrade to AMT's
in the hanger,  changes to the amount of engine people being surplussed & shop seniority issues.

Reactions: 1 person
chilokie1 said:
Weeks ago the turbine building people were told a large amount of them would be
surplussed to the hangers. Since then we have heard rumors of many changes to the 
original plan, but as of yet nothing has happened.
Anybody  know anything definite ? We have heard rumors of Allegiant work, upgrade to AMT's
in the hanger,  changes to the amount of engine people being surplussed & shop seniority issues.
All I know is that Tulsa looks like dead men walking. If there is ever a riff there better be a lot of handicap parking at the line stations to accommodate these guys. Heard around April 10th the movement would happen.

Reactions: 3 people
Not exactly answering your question, but I did hear that 30 Crew Chiefs at the Tul Base stepped down so far during the Crew Chief self demotion window and 3 of those in Hangar 1&2.

Also 6 Landing Gear Inspectors wear rifted and 2 NDT from the same area of the Turbine building.

Those Dead Men Walking, well the average age is around 50 years old, but the sad part is the amount of experience that is being wasted in the AMTO program. Many very talented, but Junior mechanics wear taken from the Systems and Structure crews and put in the Cabin and limited in their Scope of work just so they could be compensated as non-licensed mechanics's...

When this movement of mechanics does happen, how many are going to want to actually do the type of work after being in their current environment? How many of those Dead Men Walking, will select retirement over a change in working conditions

Buck said:
Not exactly answering your question, but I did hear that 30 Crew Chiefs at the Tul Base stepped down so far during the Crew Chief self demotion window and 3 of those in Hangar 1&2.

Also 6 Landing Gear Inspectors wear rifted and 2 NDT from the same area of the Turbine building.

Those Dead Men Walking, well the average age is around 50 years old, but the sad part is the amount of experience that is being wasted in the AMTO program. Many very talented, but Junior mechanics wear taken from the Systems and Structure crews and put in the Cabin and limited in their Scope of work just so they could be compensated as non-licensed mechanics's...

When this movement of mechanics does happen, how many are going to want to actually do the type of work after being in their current environment? How many of those Dead Men Walking, will select retirement over a change in working conditions
I doubt that many of the DMW will retire because of their retiree med being given away by Jim Little,,  instead  they will morph into Dead Men Working.  Due to miscalculations by the expert bean counters a handful of engine AMT's will keep their jobs instead of going to the hanger or cam building. The only thing definite from the twu is that no one is going to like how the company is going to do the move and thats why the secrecy. The union made a feeble argument that this is a riff so seniority must be recognized but from what I hear seniority isnt going to be a factor.     

So whats the chances of AA pulling from the transfer list for folks wanting to go to Tulsa ??

AA767JET said:
So whats the chances of AA pulling from the transfer list for folks wanting to go to Tulsa ??
Right now with a Engine shop surplus that seems unlikely. There also appears to be a need for A&P's at the major HUBS.

Buck said:
Right now with a Engine shop surplus that seems unlikely. There also appears to be a need for A&P's at the major HUBS.
NY needs at least 75. Between transfers, resignations and the worst deal in the industry they are having a hard time keeping the place staffed. 

ORD has lost quite a few mechs to SWA over the past couple of years, losing even more to transfers.

The way I'm reading the townhall meetings, AA wants a scope clause of 100% line Maint and 50% OH. Seeing how Isom keeps saying the most important thing for Maint is to have planes ready in the morning for the flight schedule, I'm guessing that's what our scope clause will be, I don't see the line voting in less of a contract for OH scope. The hubs are just too expensive to shoot ourselves in the foot again.

100% line scope would open a lot of stations again, CLE, MSP, DET SNA to mention a few.

Bob Owens said:
NY needs at least 75. Between transfers, resignations and the worst deal in the industry they are having a hard time keeping the place staffed. 
I heard today that Fleet Service is coming back due to the damage increase on the fleet....

bigjets,
100% line? The company is doing work in South America and LHR. Have been adding more in the past few years. I see the company locking in the 15% for overseas work and looking to increase the overhaul cap. With RB211s on the decrease more RIFs out of TAESL are likely on the horizon. Kirby said at DWH that RR doesn't want to add other engine types to TAESL.

Overspeed said:
bigjets,
100% line? The company is doing work in South America and LHR. Have been adding more in the past few years. I see the company locking in the 15% for overseas work and looking to increase the overhaul cap. With RB211s on the decrease more RIFs out of TAESL are likely on the horizon. Kirby said at DWH that RR doesn't want to add other engine types to TAESL.

Just going by what Isom said the scope is with the IAM.

Overspeed said:
bigjets,
Not really sure what AA expects to add. The only thing that would be logical is the Trent 700. (but its a dying engine and not much volume in the North American market.) 
IMO AA killed TAESL when they went GE on the 787. 

and I believe that AA should try to work out an MRO deal with GE to support the GEnX. Pretty good volume in North American and it can be ran in the TAESL test cell. (I don't know about Tulsa) 

Reactions: 2 people
Isn't Taesl a RR facility? If so I doubt they would work GE engines. Plus we don't know what the lease agreement with the engines is. Does GE OH the engine? Also according to past townhalls AA is going to concentrate strictly on running an airline.

When a DWH mech asked about bringing back OH from HK to USA, I forgot who answered, but the answer was, we are looking to bring back OH to the states and contacted MROs! Didn't consider bringing back OH to TULSA. It looks like the writing is in print, some OH, nothing like it was before with 5000 mechs at TULSA.

I

bigjets said:
Isn't Taesl a RR facility? If so I doubt they would work GE engines. Plus we don't know what the lease agreement with the engines is. Does GE OH the engine? Also according to past townhalls AA is going to concentrate strictly on running an airline.

When a DWH mech asked about bringing back OH from HK to USA, I forgot who answered, but the answer was, we are looking to bring back OH to the states and contacted MROs! Didn't consider bringing back OH to TULSA. It looks like the writing is in print, some OH, nothing like it was before with 5000 mechs at TULSA.
In todays Tulsa World a front page story said AA & the city are in negotiations for an upgrading of the city
owned maintenance base, including a new test cell.

bigjets said:

I don't see anything that says AA has a service or OnePoint agreement for the GEnX or GE90. They may come to that but looks like AA is at least keep the option open. 

As for using TAESL for GE, well if Rolls is tossing the the towel I wouldn't see why it would be an issue. If the land/buildings are in AA name then Rolls really has no say so. If its in TAESLs name or Rolls name then AA would just have to buy Rolls out. If they aren't willing to add an engine then Rolls is saying they are going to be done with the facility once RB211 and T800 work dries up.

and that is the new thing now, because the outsourcing margins are getting smaller and smaller airlines are looking to send work to local MRO to reduce the travel costs and the supply chain costs. In theory it would reduce the TATs a little bit too.

I know Delta is doing more and more work with AAR because they can fly the aircraft between ATL and IND or MIA or OKC live and then swap it out with a frame fresh out of overhaul. Also have commented that it might not have been a grand idea to build TechOps Mexico in a city Delta doesn't even fly to. Much higher supply chain costs than expected.

And of course labor laws and wages are increasing in Asia. It is one of the reasons why HEACO bought TIMCO....  

Latest posts