United Mechanics Contract

And WN only has four lines of C-checks in-house and outsources more maintenance than any othe US based airlines.

I believe it's 73%.

So don't let the facts get in the way of your spin.

Reactions: 1 person
Docker said:
Talk to me about AMFA when they bring over 50% of their maintenance in house..
If AMFA can't eventually get the guys that SWA has left a good deal I'd have to say that they are finished in the industry.

A big chunk of that is going to rest on what the IBT, and the TWU/IAM Association gets during these skyrocketing airline glory days.

Just speaking as a personal observation.

WeAAsles said:
If AMFA can't eventually get the guys that SWA has left a good deal I'd have to say that they are finished in the industry.

A big chunk of that is going to rest on what the IBT, and the TWU/IAM Association gets during these skyrocketing airline glory days.

Just speaking as a personal observation.

You're an idiot, SWA already has a "good deal".  It's just tougher getting an even better deal, when the rest of us are still stuck in the suck - courtesy of the "one size fits all" industrial unions and their shittee contacts for AMTs.  Again, go figure, a baggage handler giving advise to AMTs - what could go wrong?

Reactions: 5 people
700UW said:
And WN only has four lines of C-checks in-house and outsources more maintenance than any othe US based airlines.

I believe it's 73%.

So don't let the facts get in the way of your spin.

That's not the responsibility of the membership.  SWA started out that way, SWA never had a high percentage of heavy in house maintenance.  So, as the AMFA at SWA makes gains by pushing for more in house maintenance - don't be hating on them - at least they are going in the right direction.  You like to paint the picture as if the AMFA lost the heavy maintenance at SWA.  When in reality the IBT was there originally, I guess it was okay back then - when it was even worse.

700UW said:
AA has 900 planes and 14,000 mechanics, WN has 700 airplanes and has 2,300 mechanics.

14K maintenance and related maybe, but damn sure not 14K licensed Airframe and Powerplant Mechanics.  You're throwing in a good chunk of the "and related" to bolster your argument on behalf of your one size fits all commie union.

Docker said:

It would be nice if all airlines brought in more maintenance.  We go to work to make as much pay and benefits as possible, and I expect my union to negotiate the best possible pay and benefits, not trade it away to keep more people employed at our expense - only to lose the people a few months later anyway. 

Vortilon said:

That's not the responsibility of the membership.  SWA started out that way, SWA never had a high percentage of heavy in house maintenance.  So, as the AMFA at SWA makes gains by pushing for more in house maintenance - don't be hating on them - at least they are going in the right direction.  You like to paint the picture as if the AMFA lost the heavy maintenance at SWA.  When in reality the IBT was there originally, I guess it was okay back then - when it was even worse.

Nailed it!

Take Care,
B) xUT

Reactions: 3 people
Docker said:
That will probably never happen.  As already stated SWA started out from the very beginning outsourcing anywhere from 68-75% of their maint.  They are currently down closer to 60% now, with AMFA and SWA working on bringing in more maint with added "C" check lines in BWI, HOU, LAX and another in Florida (I forget which station).  Also adding new over night maint lines in DAL, HOU, DIA, LAX, BWI, FLL, MCO and maybe more.  Let's also not forget that after AMFA took over from the teamsters here at SWA, and added DOUBLE the heavy maint lines in Dallas, added "C" check lines, added maint lines for the over nighters, brought in a lot more back shop maint. and has also added hundreds of headcount.  Now that may not be bringing in 50% of outsourced maint. but it's a heck of alot better than where all the other airlines and unions have been going for the past 10-12 years.  Let's also not forget it was the "teamsters language" and agreement that allowed them to start outsourcing outside the US in Canada and then in Elsolvador. Once AMFA found out what they were doing they called for meetings and put put limitations and restrictions and even added the 4th line of heavy maint in Dallas.  AMFA took the terrible language of the teamsters and turned it into more perks for the mechanics than nothing at all, as the co. (with the teamsters language) could have freely done the outsourcing outside US without doing anything that AMFA was able to negotiate for the mechanics and add all the restrictions and limitations.  This is what most people out here fail to see or know, most think AMFA owned the language for the outsourcing when in fact it was the teamsters language, and when AMFA took over and got word on what the co. was attempting to do jump in and nego what they could, whereas the co. could have just done it all anyway AND was going to do so no matter what was in the contract from the teamsters.  If we did not have the restrictions and limitations that AMFA was able to nego into the contract SWA would have 8 lines of maint going thru Elsov. instead of 4 and would be doing a lot more check maint as well.  Sorry for rambling, but thought you needed to know the real story since AMFA has been at SWA instead of all the lies and misinformation people spread about AMFA just to keep them out of the other airlines.  BTW, AMFA isn't broke either, our Local alone has almost 2 million in several different funds and accounts, whereas with the teamsters we were always in the negative each and every single month. This may not sound like a lot to some here with much much larger locals but we do have a small number in our locals compared to you guys and the other Legacy carriers.  I do wanna wish you the best of luck at United on getting the best contract ever, but I have seen all these promises made by the teamsters before and never follow thru so I am very skeptical...

Reactions: 2 people
D757, It was great to hear that the teamcare is being dropped from the offer.  Now, if you know, is that the only thing changed?  Was any of the other requirements of the membership addressed or changed in the offer?  Or is the teamsters simply just going to drop the teamcare and throw the contract offer back at the membership.  

SWAMT:   What I mentioned in the other thread was that the teamsters based on member survey dropped teamcare from the new union proposal. 

You are asking if teamsters are going to throw the ( company ) proposal back on the membership, the answer is NO. 

Based on member survey the union has finalised a new proposal. As far as I know the union and company have not met yet for furthur negotiations.

The company concessionary proposal that was voted down in feb was all company baloney and not a union negotiated contract. 

Not sure if this was going to affect you guys at UAL but I am pretty sure it would have affected the CAL guys since they have been teamsters for some time now on the Continental side. Also don't think it will affect the UPS guys as they and the co. paid huge penalties to get out of that certain fund and moved the monies elsewhere.  In the article below the teamsters lose their bid to make massive cuts to the pensions:

http://www.startribune.com/treasury-to-announce-teamster-pension-cut-decision/378416931/

No none of us are in that teamster deal. Us continental guys have a company pension and the UAL guys company pensions were defaulted on in 2005 bankruptcy and turned over to the government pbgc. 

Glad to hear you as well as CAL guys are not in it. My next question is, and I don't think they are, is the teamsters trying to get you all as a group into their pension during this JCBA nego's?  Thanks for that update, I really thought the CAL guys might have been in it.

swamt said:
Glad to hear you as well as CAL guys are not in it. My next question is, and I don't think they are, is the teamsters trying to get you all as a group into their pension during this JCBA nego's?  Thanks for that update, I really thought the CAL guys might have been in it.
No