US' Devaluation of Elite Benefits--It's Not Just Us...

For perspective on the subject, the Times talked to Ravindra Bhagwanani of Global Flight, which the paper describes as a "frequent-flier consultancy." Bhagwanani says "scrapping the elite bonus is a sacred cow no other U.S. carrier would ever have dared to think about.
Well, for all the people that were on here last week saying other airlines would follow Tempe’s lead, that’s something to think about.

While i agree wholeheartedly with airlines attempting to make the travelling experience as comfortable and user-friendly for their most loyal customers, this flier has a decidedly different opinion with regards to frequent fliers.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25192959/

Well done Art - I have had a number of UK articles brought to my attention, and I completely missed that US Airways news isn't usually news across the pond. The "everything's extra" is making news as well as the miles.

While i agree wholeheartedly with airlines attempting to make the travelling experience as comfortable and user-friendly for their most loyal customers, this flier has a decidedly different opinion with regards to frequent fliers.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25192959/

That article smacks of sour grapes to me. I take it he never gets to fly up front, there fore everyone who does is a spoiled brat.

"airlines today are adding amenities to their premium cabins while quietly removing basic services from their economy-class sections" - what, changing the menus for the first time in a brazilian years? Yeah, for at least 4 or 5 times the price we are rolling in amenities :rolleyes:

And the people he has chosen to highlight as FFs? OK, I'd like to point out a few economy passengers that board a little the worse for wear in the alcohol stakes and claim all economy passengers are "ruining air travel". Its a good thing EVERYONE in economy turns off their phones when told to :lol: For petes sake, all groups have extremes.

All this negativity is really really wearing, but to get kicked when you're losing a lot of what makes flying more tolerable is a bit much.

Thank god for InternationalShannon! You rock! Keep us smilin'!

<SNIP> And the people he has chosen to highlight as FFs?
Author Elliott is using hyperbole to make a point. Even his first example of Naomi Campbell being arrested off a flight doesn’t mean much since Campbell has been convicted of felony assault on her own employees.

Honestly, the very few FFs I’ve seen behave badly usually had a darn good reason to be upset.

Honestly, the very few FFs I’ve seen behave badly usually had a darn good reason to be upset.
Almost every problem I have ever seen has been a FF and most of them were dead wrong, the others simply handled whatever inconvenience the wrong way. They may travel more often but they shouldn't expect to sit up front if they don't pay for it and they sure as hell should have some level of respect for the people that are working their flight, either in the terminal or on the aircraft.

Almost every problem I have ever seen has been a FF and most of them were dead wrong, the others simply handled whatever inconvenience the wrong way. They may travel more often but they shouldn't expect to sit up front if they don't pay for it and they sure as hell should have some level of respect for the people that are working their flight, either in the terminal or on the aircraft.
Oooooh... no you din'nt! :ph34r:

I would also like to gently point out other words that are written in these agreements:

American Airlines may, in its discretion, change the AAdvantage program rules, regulations, travel awards, and special offers at any time with or without notice. This means that the accumulation of mileage credit does not entitle members to any vested rights with respect to such mileage credits, awards or program benefits.

Continental Airlines reserves the right to modify or discontinue the OnePass program in accordance with the terms and conditions set forth in the Frequent Flyer section of continental.com.

Delta and its program partners reserve the right to change program rules, benefits, regulations, Travel Awards, fees, mileage Award levels, and special offers at any time without notice.

Northwest Airlines® has the right to terminate the WorldPerks® program at any time.

US Airways reserves the right to change, temporarily suspend or discontinue any or all aspects of the Dividend Miles program at any time with or without notice.

Just as any customer has the right to fly someone else
Only pointing out Bob that all the other airlines have reserved the right to deny upgrades or kill the programs entirely. We are in the world of $4 jet fuel. Employees have had to sacrifice...and IMHO, it's coming to a point where the VFF's are going to have to sacrifice a little themselves.

This quote from the article sums up Tempe's contempt for VFF's nicely:

Usually, airlines would rather try to downgrade the program for base members, but enhance it at the same time for elite members, given their revenue potential. But there is obviously no sign of balancing off whatsoever for elite members," he tells the Times.

From the beginning, Tempe has told the VFF F-off. Have fun with the Kettles and your $2 coffee--coffee that sucks by the way. :rolleyes:

I'm beyond angry right now as in my heart of hearts feel that some of these moves will result in the loss of every single job at US Airways and I'm boiling mad. You guys fought to hard to have it undone.
Oh, please. I remember your post a few days back. It was something about how you cannot wait to pi$$ on the grave that is USAirways. You care not for the employees.

Keep fighting the good fight, but don't make us try to think you care....