US Pilots Labor Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Chinese pay top dollar and get quality to go with it. No, I see Cambodia in your future.

Unless you love that desert lifestyle so much...

Haseet mipents

Sir, where is the men's room?

See, you've got leg up already with what you'll need !

No, I've got a future in CLT - 2014 to be exact.

You sound like you like it over there so enjoy.

So Westies how do you see you White Knight riding to the Nic rescue?

Honestly, one week into it and the PHX reps are bashing the APA - you are poison.
Bashing the APA. What are you talking about. The only thing they said was that the APA said it was their negotiations. If you bother to read the term sheet you would see they are right.

The only poison is east pilots. Parker has cut you guys out of this deal completely. He found a way around east pilots and usapa.

this forum is screwed up. when I read the latest posts, they are pretty current....however, when I sign in, the posts show the latest posts.... that were put up 36 hrs ago.

this is screwed up! ever since they reformatted the website. I cannot reply to any of the current topics.

breeze

It seems the usual USAPA faithful have decided that they're Peter Pan living on Neverland Island....

Jim

Come on, the Great Pumpkin is gonna come and give them all the seniority they want! And he will listen to their endless stories about how much they suffered, and how much they are entitled too...

Seriously, USAPA sounds like the Island of Unwanted Toys.

What part of Binding Arbitration do they not get? The Binding, or the Arbitration part?

May 11, 2012
Mr. Doug Parker
US Airways CEO
111 W. Rio Salado Parkway Tempe, AZ 85281
Mr. Parker,
I was pleased that we were able to meet on Thursday in Washington. It was timely as I am extremely concerned about the events that have transpired in the last weeks. Our pilots fully understand that the proposed transaction between US Airways and AMR would represent a substantial increase in their economic package. Nevertheless, there are many issues that need to be resolved. It appears that the working relationship between the company and both unions representing the pilots that would be affected by the transaction could use considerable improvement.
I expressed our concerns that USAPA was not consulted during the period prior to the announcement of the term sheet entered into by the company and APA. This is especially disturbing since many of the conditions in the term sheet directly affect our pilots and commitments have been made that could adversely affect the future of USAPA pilots. For example, provisions in the term sheet directly cover shuttle operations. No current members of APA fly the shuttle while members of USAPA do. Additionally while commitments were made by the company and APA that USAPA would directly participate in the ongoing negotiations as an equal partner that commitment seems not to have been effectively communicated to the negotiating parties. We discussed this at length and you and your General Counsel agreed to reemphasize your commitment to your negotiating team no later than this weekend. You once again assured us that USAPA will indeed be an equal partner in the future negotiations involving its members. We understand you, David Bates and I are in agreement concerning this combined negotiating process, that there should be no Ex parte communications concerning negotiations, and that we must communicate this to our respective negotiating parties. We appreciate the cultural differences between USAPA and APA in the negotiating process and appreciate Steve Johnson’s commitment to help to resolve these issues over this weekend.
We asked that there be an immediate resumption of the Section 6 negotiations. While you agreed to consider this, you also noted the difficulty for the company in devoting the resources to the parallel tracks of negotiating and suggested that it was in every ones best interest to pursue a combined APA and USAPA agreement that would garner the most value for all. We asked that USAPA be reimbursed for its expenses involving this transaction. You agreed that you would make reimbursements for expenses of flight pay loss and professional fees and that USAPA should make a concrete proposal regarding reimbursement. Our General Counsel committed to developing that proposal. In view of the fact that the proposed transaction has lengthened the already lengthy period that our pilots are without a contract, we asked for a wage increase commensurate with the increase that the company proposed in past negotiations i.e. “ The Kirby proposal.“ You declined to do so unless it was embodied in a completed CBA.
We discussed at length the change of control and scope provisions of our contract. You and your General Counsel stated categorically that such provisions do not apply to the proposed transaction and that if they did you would not have considered the transaction. Our General Counsel informed you that this was not the understanding of our Merger Counsel, and that a different opinion had been communicated to our BPR. You offered to have your General Counsel meet with our Merger Counsel to set out in detail your position. We agreed that a meeting to discuss the change of control language would be the proper course of action. I understand that your General Counsel will be meeting with our Merger Counsel next week.
We also agreed that this dynamic process will require further meetings as necessary, and are desirable, to assure that whatever impediments to an understanding between USAPA, US Airways and APA are mutually mitigated.
Regards,
Captain Gary Hummel, President

Below is an excerpt from the PHX reps. It is part of an unofficial update - unofficial because the USAPA Communications Committee has not approved its release in the original form. We have received little or no information from USAPA during a period of time when events are happening fast:

US Airways is apparently in the process of negotiating only with APA (the Allied Pilots Association) for a collective bargaining agreement that only includes the present-day AA pilots. US Airways management IS NOT NEGOTIATING with USAPA, or the pilots presently employed by US Airways – PERIOD.
If a merger between US Airways and American Airlines in consummated, then AFTER AA emerges from bankruptcy, the company plans to combine the “New AA” with the ”New” US Airways. Keep in mind that “combine” has two different meanings for labor and for management.
Presently, the company sees no reason to negotiate with the US Airways pilots, and judging from the statements from our counterparts in Texas, the APA apparently feels that it is THEIR CONTRACT to negotiate, and is of little concern to either the East, or the West pilots of US Airways. This is also made clear from the language in the APA/US Airways term sheet.
After the companies merge, the new airline's management will enter into negotiations for a Transition Agreement, but only with the APA. Subsequent to the transition agreement negotiations, there will be a filing by the APA to the National Mediation Board no later than 60 days after the merger which will seek to certify the APA as the single collective bargaining agent for all pilots of the New AA. According to the plain language of the Term Sheet, only after the APA (or whatever association prevails) is certified as the sole collective bargaining agent will East/West pilots enter into the equation. Presumably the APA will begin negotiating a contract that covers all pilots at the New AA and, although we are speculating here, it seems likely that US Airways pilots will have two choices: 1) accept the APA’s contract over which they are currently negotiating with Parker; or, 2) enter into an additional round of negotiations for a combined contract that covers East, West and present-day AA pilots. In other words, there may be a few more years of C2004 and LOA93 while the APA pilots work under the new contract with its superior wages to either East or West contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back