WN Mechanics seek mediation

The 2.75 minimum in LOA 1 is no more and I haven’t seen it reprinted anywhere else. The only job security I’ve found so far is the old language in Scope Article 2(3). “The company will not contract out work when such contracting out results, or will result, in a reduction in force for any employee covered by this agreement.”
Granted we are well above 2.75 now but through attrition could go well below.
Birdman what is the purpose of LOA2 is believe covering those Dallas postions, is that because the 300's are gone. Because I remember in AMFA updates they said the company agreed to the 2.75 & it was T/A ed in negotiations. I see the 4 th C Check line made it into Scope Article 2, which was in the original LOA 2, from the 2008 agreement, which we reached when we bought Airtran. Which we won in Arbitration. Is it your and Swampy opinion that the 2.75 is protected by if they try to contract anything out, and do a reduction in force, that works comes back, which would protect our ratios?However I know you can never Assume language.

LOA 2 remains unchanged and stated “regarding Dallas line work”. I fail to see any relation to the 300’s. There’s a lot of previously items that didn’t make the final TA. Major station protections and 2.75 ratio gone. The 4 HMV lines (mentioned in Article 2(5)) are still in place and are currently Y checks but I believe they can change the MPM any time they want that defines what constitutes a HMV. IMO, anyone hired is protected only by Article 2 Scope, just as it was before but no more ratios.

LOA 2 remains unchanged and stated “regarding Dallas line work”. I fail to see any relation to the 300’s. There’s a lot of previously items that didn’t make the final TA. Major station protections and 2.75 ratio gone. The 4 HMV lines (mentioned in Article 2(5)) are still in place and are currently Y checks but I believe they can change the MPM any time they want that defines what constitutes a HMV. IMO, anyone hired is protected only by Article 2 Scope, just as it was before but no more ratios.
So much for no language changes. So what did we get for the 2.75 ratio which we were told by both AMFA and the company was T/A ed? At least we maintained our bid positions, Hangar, Ron, Shops, shop line relief, and Line.

Last edited:
The 2.75 minimum in LOA 1 is no more and I haven’t seen it reprinted anywhere else. The only job security I’ve found so far is the old language in Scope Article 2(3). “The company will not contract out work when such contracting out results, or will result, in a reduction in force for any employee covered by this agreement.”
Granted we are well above 2.75 now but through attrition could go well below.
IMO only, tell me what you think. With the negotiating committee giving away the 2.75 ratio. If we reject this I don't see us ever getting that back, when we do a new deal, say a year or 18 months. Because with this being driven out by 6 weeks of road shows, this year for a new deal would be gone. ETOPS or no ETOPS. So we just end up chasing our tail for more back pay, or economics, versus language. This is almost getting like the Teamsters, but in AMFA's defense, our company has changed towards all employees.

Read again......Maintenance Control Field Service? I don't think so.
I figured that is what you are talking about, that's probably as in a tech support role if needed, ask at the road shows. They are part of our union regardless if you like it or not. It's kind of like inspection can work as a mechanic, but we can't work as an inspector, even though I was,an inspector at one time.

The problem I have is it's in there and subject to interpretation by potentially an outsider who knows nothing about our world. It has happened before. I never wanted them in our union to begin with. The majority of them took those positions knowing they would be management at that time.

The problem I have is it's in there and subject to interpretation by potentially an outsider who knows nothing about our world. It has happened before. I never wanted them in our union to begin with. The majority of them took those positions knowing they would be management at that time.
I understand how you feel, the reason they joined the union, is alot of those guys were leads, then supervisors, then Maint Control. Their pay scales were all over the place, and they were tired of the buddy buddy system. So they signed cards. Water under the bridge. Plus with our small group compared to say American, AMFA needs to grow the numbers some how. Just vote however you feel is best for you. And ask what questions you need to at your road show.

Read again......Maintenance Control Field Service? I don't think so.
Well it's official road shows start mid July, end August 23 th, so we probably will not vote till sometime in Sept. Which if it passes you would not get your bonus till Christmas, and January. If it fails nothing till 2019.

Well it's official road shows start mid July, end August 23 th, so we probably will not vote till sometime in Sept. Which if it passes you would not get your bonus till Christmas, and January. If it fails nothing till 2019.
From the Swalife Labor page:
Compensation
  • A $74 million ratification bonus would be paid within 60 days following the date of ratification. An additional $17 million bonus would be paid no later than April 1, 2019. AMFA Leaders elected to split the bonus across 2018 and 2019, and they determined the method for allocating the bonus to individual Members. This is from the company so I'm rightfully suspicious, but why would AMFA not support the TA when they possibly negotiated for it to be ratified in 2018.

From the Swalife Labor page:
Compensation
  • A $74 million ratification bonus would be paid within 60 days following the date of ratification. An additional $17 million bonus would be paid no later than April 1, 2019. AMFA Leaders elected to split the bonus across 2018 and 2019, and they determined the method for allocating the bonus to individual Members. This is from the company so I'm rightfully suspicious, but why would AMFA not support the TA when they possibly negotiated for it to be ratified in 2018.
Why would AMFA take 6 weeks to do road shows, then not have a vote till Sept, when you had an AIP in April. If you not behind it, why drag it out.Do they want to be replaced, or do these guys not want to work on airplanes anymore?

Latest posts

Back