WN Mechanics seek mediation

So we keep hearing that we have no leverage with the ETOPS issues at hand. But I keep reading these articles that not having a new contract, with ETOPS agreed to, is one of the reasons why SWA has not been blessed by the FAA as of yet.
I am in no way saying we do or don't, but it really is making me wonder if the FAA as well as all the still ongoing investigations, are waiting for an agreement with both sides agreeing about ETOPS before sliding that precious certificate across to SWA.
Maybe the FAA would be much more comfortable in passing the certs if we did in fact have an agreement settled about ETOPS within our new contract.
It really does make me wonder as I keep seeing and reading these articles with company spokesman and women responding to such questions within these articles...

Southwest Airlines facing hurdles on Hawaii service front
As the old saying goes: Don't listen to what they're saying,watch what they do.

How are those lawsuits progressing? Oh- I forgot- they are not tied to a successful CBA implementation. Go Figure

As the old saying goes: Don't listen to what they're saying,watch what they do.
Yes indeed.
I was told by one of the engine engineers involved with ETOPS said they are waiting for a smooth agreement so I guess we will see.

Yes indeed.
I was told by one of the engine engineers involved with ETOPS said they are waiting for a smooth agreement so I guess we will see.
Yes we will see, as a side note we finally got some one to run against Cramer, Dan B. from MDW good guy hope he wins for local AMFA 4.

How are those lawsuits progressing? Oh- I forgot- they are not tied to a successful CBA implementation. Go Figure
Same as our ETOPS since mechanics called the Feds, like calling the cops on people because you are mad at them, for lack of contract progress. But with our elections in local AMFA-4 looks like we can get rid of some of the trash. All the candidates wrote a profile except Bob Cramer, I guess he thinks he is above everyone else. I know MDW doesn't like him.

Has everyone noticed something since the announcement of the new co. nego. cmte.?
There has not been one iota of propaganda coming out from the nego cmte. None, Notta, Ziltch. "0" propaganda, "0" scare tactics, and "0" games being played thus far. This is great news IMO. It appears we have much more professional folks involved as well as the real decision makers will now be at the table.
I have also heard more positive info from others involved that the co. is really wanting to get this done and out of the way. This is all positive and I am more thinking this was a great move by our upper leaders to replace the nego cmte. Maybe things really will get done in an efficient manner this time around. We will see by the first visit next week by how this new nego cmte actions are. Not saying we will have anything this year as that would be too much to ask for, but I will say that the first Q of next year may not be out of the question, but like I said, the companies ne nego cmte actions will dictate how long it will really be. Just much more optimistic now with the more positive info I have heard as of lately. Good to finally hear it now and look forward to more positive hearings come next week as well.

Another Q dividend payout.
Another big boost to St Louis as SWA is adding several flights out of SL.
Along with the growth coming in NY, Wash, Nash, and now St Louis and end of year 18, it would be a great time to get a contract done. Not to mention the huge Tax Reform benefits that SWA will greatly benefit from.
This coming Mon marks our first meeting with the co's new nego cmte. Although only 2 days were set for this initial meet and greet and set more future dates I think it would be greatly beneficial for more dates being set before holiday season hits. But I really don't expect anything until next year, but we will see come next week. Maybe-just maybe we might get some good news...
Oops; forgot to post these articles:

Southwest Airlines’ Fourth-Quarter Dividend

Southwest adding flights from St. Louis

Last edited:
Another Q dividend payout.
Another big boost to St Louis as SWA is adding several flights out of SL.
Along with the growth coming in NY, Wash, Nash, and now St Louis and end of year 18, it would be a great time to get a contract done. Not to mention the huge Tax Reform benefits that SWA will greatly benefit from.
This coming Mon marks our first meeting with the co's new nego cmte. Although only 2 days were set for this initial meet and greet and set more future dates I think it would be greatly beneficial for more dates being set before holiday season hits. But I really don't expect anything until next year, but we will see come next week. Maybe-just maybe we might get some good news...
Oops; forgot to post these articles:

Southwest Airlines’ Fourth-Quarter Dividend

Southwest adding flights from St. Louis
Update #70 will be next year, but only looks like economics, so maybe not to bad!

Another update is now posted.
AMFA along with the economist, passed and fully explained a proposal across to the company.
Pretty sure the co. was surprised at the short list of change request being only held to economics with the snap up % and raises. Very few questions from co. except how the union came to those figures so the economist explained in detail that they were not just throwing any ole numbers and %'s out there. After all it's going on 7 years as they set the date to 8-16-2018 not 2016 and not early 2017 any more.
No dates set in stone as of yet, but, as we all knew we will meet again after 1st of the year.
Happy Holidays to all as we wait for the co. response...

Read the latest Negotiation Update here.

Another update is now posted.
AMFA along with the economist, passed and fully explained a proposal across to the company.
Pretty sure the co. was surprised at the short list of change request being only held to economics with the snap up % and raises. Very few questions from co. except how the union came to those figures so the economist explained in detail that they were not just throwing any ole numbers and %'s out there. After all it's going on 7 years as they set the date to 8-16-2018 not 2016 and not early 2017 any more.
No dates set in stone as of yet, but, as we all knew we will meet again after 1st of the year.
Happy Holidays to all as we wait for the co. response...

Read the latest Negotiation Update here.

Just wanted to add; At least the company didn't storm out of nego's like the original group did each and every time they received a proposal.
This new group was much, much more professional and courteous as well as respectful and that will go a long ways at the table for all involved and will make forward progress a lot easier.
Hope everyone had a happy Thanksgiving. Now back to the grind...

Just wanted to add; At least the company didn't storm out of nego's like the original group did each and every time they received a proposal.
This new group was much, much more professional and courteous as well as respectful and that will go a long ways at the table for all involved and will make forward progress a lot easier.
Hope everyone had a happy Thanksgiving. Now back to the grind...
AMFA 4 election Bob Cramer out, Dan Burgess in as ALR , told you MDW didn't like him! :)

Talk about bad timing. Sounds like another paperwork compliant issue. Not a good time when the FAA is looking hard at all compliant issues under the radar for ETOPS certs.
We still made over 4100 flights that day with right at 4200 was scheduled, so only approx 100 flights affected. Hope we can clean this one up quickly. Maint. now really under the scope with HQ.
Maybe we will get some more meetings scheduled for nego's in order to get the contract behind us. Some disappointing news but should be easily fixed and brought back into compliance quickly...

Southwest Airlines suddenly grounds 34 planes in its fleet

Talk about bad timing. Sounds like another paperwork compliant issue. Not a good time when the FAA is looking hard at all compliant issues under the radar for ETOPS certs.
We still made over 4100 flights that day with right at 4200 was scheduled, so only approx 100 flights affected. Hope we can clean this one up quickly. Maint. now really under the scope with HQ.
Maybe we will get some more meetings scheduled for nego's in order to get the contract behind us. Some disappointing news but should be easily fixed and brought back into compliance quickly...

Southwest Airlines suddenly grounds 34 planes in its fleet
This was on some of the 7800 series birds, some were inspections, and some was just remapping and verification of previous sheet metal repairs, A/C were back in service pretty quickly. But I agree on getting the contract done.

There are some changes coming next year that may affect us at the nego table.
After some local officer elections there have been some changes. Loc. 32, 18 and 4 ALR's have been changed. Although the majority of the AMFA nego team will remain, looks like up to 3 of them will be replaced starting January 2019-2021. Do not see it delaying at all. And actually may even see them pick up in pace.
Maybe now we can look forward to an agreement early next year when we get back to the table. And hopefully more dates will get set for Jan. as well, we will see.

Well here we are at the end of the second week after the first meeting with the new nego team from the company and still no word from the company on the Jan. 2019 dates for meetings. I really hope this company does not continue their petty, juvenile, game playing stall tactics as their replacement group did so much. The company keeps saying they will meet anywhere, anytime for any length. And they have not once proven this in the past, not once. AMFA has agreed to all the dates set in Jan. so now we will see how honest and professional this new nego team really is. It will not look good right out of the gate if they fail us once again. The 2-3 days a month was a freakin joke, it needs to be more like 2-3 weeks per month until it is done. That would show and mean a lot to the mechanics. But i do expect the same ole, same ole as this company has not once scheduled or remained at the table longer than 1-3 days per month.
I was really hoping to see new and respectful nego's coming from this new team but it appears as of now that we will get the usual.
Step it up and schedule and meet for all the dates offered as the union has already...

Latest posts