14 more stations to be expressed?

From what I understand it''s not about load factors, but yield. You can fill up the boat but not break even with el-cheapo fares. If your station has a high yield, and sells more business fares than vacation ones then maybe there is less chance to worry. Unfortunately, most of this valuable information is kept in Crystal City and is not discussed with the front line until it''s out you go...or stay for lower pay. The station I work in has stayed mainline so far due to high-yield. The locals yelp about the fares but don''t realize they are paying to keep the larger jets.

----------------
On 5/20/2003 11:11:58 PM networking wrote:

From what I understand it''s not about load factors, but yield.  You can fill up the boat but not break even with el-cheapo fares.  If your station has a high yield, and sells more business fares than vacation ones then maybe there is less chance to worry.  Unfortunately, most of this valuable information is kept in Crystal City and is not discussed with the front line until it''s out you go...or stay for lower pay.  The station I work in has stayed mainline so far due to high-yield.  The locals yelp about the fares but don''t realize they are paying to keep the larger jets.

----------------​
You are correct about the yeild being a major factor. Some stations are seasonal vacation spots, while others have year round business travel. Even some small stations have very large corporate travel accounts.

Atlanta''s June 9th schedule shows 17 flts with 10 RJs and 7 B737. Rumor has it more RJs coming, possible cities LGA, DCA again.

----------------
On 5/21/2003 7:30:54 AM ramprover wrote:

Atlanta''s June 9th schedule shows 17 flts with 10 RJs and 7 B737. Rumor has it more RJs coming, possible cities LGA, DCA again.

----------------​
If that does happen, look for a passenger migration over to DL....more lost revenue due to the Replacement Jets. I have said many times that replacing the props with an RJ is great, but the downgrade from a 737 is not a welcome change from the passengers perspective.

----------------
On 5/19/2003 3:01:51 PM IAM1776PHL wrote:

Does anyone have a list of what stations are Express?

How far West can these RJ''s reach? Will we see TX, NM, CO even AZ cities reached? Will new markets be opened to US? Or are we returning to our bread-and-butter East coast markets.....just being cheap about it?

----------------
On 5/20/2003 1:35:40 PM phllax wrote:

My guesses are DTW, YYZ, YUL (if not already), IAD, IND, CMH.

----------------​

With US joining * alliance in the near future, instead of just expressing cities like YYZ and YUL,why not split & codeshare the flights with AC? For example, have only AC operate YUL-PHL/CLT/PIT and only US operate YYZ-PHL/PIT/CLT (or vice versa). Would this not be a better utilization of resources for both airlines regardless whether its all RJ, mainline or a mix?

----------------
On 5/21/2003 10:55:07 AM gilbertguy wrote:

----------------

How far West can these RJ''s reach? Will we see TX, NM, CO even AZ cities reached? Will new markets be opened to US? Or are we returning to our bread-and-butter East coast markets.....just being cheap about it?

----------------​

the embraer 170 has a range of 2100......
the bombardier 700 has a range of 2000....
excluding the west coast looks like they can fly them anywhere they want.
seems like the mainline jets may be used only to get where the rjs cant.
remember...they still have to maintain 279 and thet have to go somewhere.

----------------
On 5/21/2003 12:03:17 PM sdavis29 wrote:

----------------
On 5/21/2003 10:55:07 AM gilbertguy wrote:

----------------

----------------​

the embraer 170 has a range of 2100......
the bombardier 700 has a range of 2000....
excluding the west coast looks like they can fly them anywhere they want.
seems like the mainline jets may be used only to get where the rjs cant.
remember...they still have to maintain 279 and thet have to go somewhere.

----------------​
------------------------------------------------------------

can they carry passengers AND baggage that range?

Here are a few more you could ad to the mix: ROC BUF SYR

They have all lost alot of mainline. SYR I think is going to 4 per day.

In regards to express to YUL and YYZ, Our Canadian cousins work under a different setup. They are covered by the labor laws of Canada and are not in the bargining units covered by the IAM or CWA. Currently, I believe, the outside functions are contracted out and the inside is done by US Airways employees of Canada. So for them it doesn''t matter who flys the airplane as long as it is a US Airways base flight. This is of course not to be confused with code-share flights.

Secondly, the first new larger small jets start showing up in the last quarter of this year. Even though deliveries will be relatively rapid, it will take some time to build up enought flying to affect many stations. Of course, if you are one of the first ones it really doesn''t matter after that.

Third, our representatives from the IAM and CWA are saying that the company has indicated it will have 3 employee level adjustments a year. If true, then every four months we can wait for the grinning reaper. As from both reps., the unions and company are having some trouble interpreting how each contract is suppose to work with the small jets. Ah....negoiate in haste, mistake and finger point at leisure.

Latest posts