$2 Coach Fares And $39 In First (Merged topics)

Truth be told, if I was in CCY and had the power, I would honor all of the tickets, but simply prohibit them from accruing FF mileage, which is something US can do without running afoul of any rules or regs. Contractually, US reserves the right to limit mileage earning on any ticket without notice. As a practical matter, this would cause many people to cancel these tickets.

That assumes US IT systems are up to the task. Do you want the punchline, or is it self-evident?

I check in with United on a ticket operated on United metal, in which I place my UA MP number. Do you really believe that US has the technical moxie or even the access to UA's systems to keep miles from being earned? For extra credit in the latter case, do you think UA really cares?

Then there is the PR aspect of doing so.

ClueByFour said:
Do you really believe that US has the technical moxie or even the access to UA's systems to keep miles from being earned? For extra credit in the latter case, do you think UA really cares?

Then there is the PR aspect of doing so.
[post="262828"][/post]​

1. Seeing as it would only take a message from US/DM to Mileage Plus to have UA automatically flag and scrutinize all US postings to/from the affected small cities, the technical part is not too difficult, even for a technically challenged airline.

2. Truth be told, too much is being made of the PR aspect. It's a $2 fare - with decent media spin, US can make the buyers look like some combination of idiots and/or greedy people out to con the airline. That said, I'd probably agree if you argued that US doesn't have the ability to pull off such a media feat.

It seems that they offered a $2.00 fare that they should honor it. Maybe the person who put the fares out on the internet might be asked what happened when they double checked to make sure it was correct. If this was a management person they may get a bonus for such a innovative marketing plan.

Does anyone have any idea how many tickets were sold with this mess up? Since it happened on a week end and no one was around to fix, it I bet it was a lot. May this was to make the folks who still do not have their bags from Christmas feel like someone cares. "we canot find your bag but how about a round trip ticket for $2.00".

This might be a good example for a marketing or business management class to show what happens with a lack of vision or a viable business plan and the talent to execute it.

PineyBob said:

Don't you have to go come up with another identity to bypass your lifetime ban on FlyerTalk?
[post="262843"][/post]​

No, I just have to sit back and watch the same people who talk about saving US fly on $2 tickets that will end up costing the airline millions when all is said and done.

avek00 said:
No, I just have to sit back and watch the same people who talk about saving US fly on $2 tickets that will end up costing the airline millions when all is said and done.
[post="262849"][/post]​
Well enjoy the show and learn, because the people here actually fly rather than sitting in a college dorm room, trolling and being a wanna bee. The people who post here have forgetten more about the airline industry than you will ever learn. Avek, arrogance and ignorance are a very deadly combination. You have a great career at US if they make it.

BTW, What time is your freshman english class this morning?

longing4piedmont said:
Well enjoy the show and learn, because the people here actually fly rather than sitting in a college dorm room, trolling and being a wanna bee. The people who post here have forgetten more about the airline industry than you will ever learn. Avek, arrogance and ignorance are a very deadly combination. You have a great careet at US if they make it.

BTW, What time is your freshman english class this morning?
[post="262854"][/post]​

Nice rash of insults l4p - but you didn't really address his statement - FFUCOS was formed to "save US". But a $2 mileage run is worth more than saving the airline to some. And some of us do read this and wonder.

KCFlyer said:
Nice rash of insults l4p - but you didn't really address his statement - FFUCOS was formed to "save US". But a $2 mileage run is worth more than saving the airline to some. And some of us do read this and wonder.
[post="262856"][/post]​
And like him, you have also proven you have no clue when it comes to US, FFOCUS or the DM program. It does not surprise me that you came to his defense.

Avek has very long history of trolling on other web sites. He has proven time and time again that truth, knowledge and accruacy are not his concern. He has received several lifetime bans for his efforts. You are now in good company.

Now to your point. In case you have not noticed (I know that reading comprehension is in short supply in Johnson County, KS) I have not used a FFOCUS aviatar in my post in quite sometime. Draw from this your own conclusions.

I booked no tickets from this mistake. I was the first to try to alert US of this mistake, even going as far to try to contact other posters on this forum who I thought maybe able to give me another senior manangement contact name and tried to reach some one in management when it appeared I could not reach my contacts.

The fact that tickets could be booked from early Saturday morning until late Saturday night bothers me a great deal. It is evident from the post on this board that many warnings were sent to the US employees to not book these fares for themselves through out the day on Saturday. US knew of this problem long before I started trying to reach someone.

The most disturbing aspect of all of this and the multiple post on flyertalk is that this is not a game and has the potential to impact the dedicated employees of this airline in a very negative way. As a result I simply could not and did not play along.

As for the members of FFOCUS I can not and will not speak for them. I can only tell you that they must decide for themselves on this matter. I will tell you that I made my feelings clear to several of them. I find your comments directed at me personally insulting and inflamatory on this matter, but I also know that given past history no apology will be forth coming.

longing4piedmont said:
And like him, you have also proven you have no clue when it comes to US, FFOCUS or the DM program. It does not surprise me that you came to his defense.

Avek has very long history of trolling on other web sites. He has proven time and time again that truth, knowledge and accruacy are not his concern. He has received several lifetime bans for his efforts. You are now in good company.
Now to your point. In case you have not noticed (I know that reading comprehension is in short supply in Johnson County, KS) I have not used a FFOCUS aviatar in my post in quite sometime. Draw from this your own conclusions.
[post="262862"][/post]​

Didn't say you booked - but there were indeed posts from those with a FFUCOS logo in their profile who admit to booking these fares.
longing4piedmont said:
As for the members of FFOCUS I can not and will not speak for them. I can only tell you that they must decide for themselves on this matter. I will tell you that I made my feelings clear to several of them. I find your comments directed at me personally insulting and inflamatory on this matter, but I also know that given past history no apology will be forth coming.
[post="262862"][/post]​

Sorry - you posted nothing but a slew of insults towards someone else. All I did was compliment you on that - without addressing the issue brought up by avek...troll or no...he had a valid point. And I can't see anything "personally insulting and inflammatory" in my post.

KCFlyer said:
Didn't say you booked - but there were indeed posts from those with a FFUCOS logo in their profile who admit to booking these fares.
Sorry - you posted nothing but a slew of insults towards someone else. All I did was compliment you on that - without addressing the issue brought up by avek...troll or no...he had a valid point. And I can't see anything "personally insulting and inflammatory" in my post.
[post="262867"][/post]​
As I thought. You are so predictable.

And it looks like freshman english class is out........... B)

Now posting in 3.....2.....1....

longing4piedmont said:
The fact that tickets could be booked from early Saturday morning until late Saturday night bothers me a great deal. It is evident from the post on this board that many warnings were sent to the US employees to not book these fares for themselves through out the day on Saturday. US knew of this problem long before I started trying to reach someone.
[post="262862"][/post]​

They knew, and I think they did what they could. But there are fewer fare updates on the weekend, as there is much less fare activity. So they would have had to ensure that every GDS pulled the fares out manually. That is no small task on a Saturday with fewer people working, and lets just say that I've seen 'smaller' errors in scope than this one.

longing4piedmont said:
Avek has very long history of trolling on other web sites.  He has proven time and time again that truth, knowledge and accruacy are not his concern.  He has received several lifetime bans for his efforts.
[post="262862"][/post]​

Normally I don't respond to ad hominem attacks, but as a point of clarification: I have only received a "lifetime ban" from one site (FlyerTalk), and that had to do with my very vocal opposition to FlyerTalk's financial support of the anti-airline SaveSkyMiles effort.

In any event, everyone here at USaviation can take a look at FlyerTalk and see who preaches about saving US while buying 10 $2 tickets (or even worse, 10 $80 First Class cross-country codeshare tickets) to make Chairman's Preferred/United 1K/Star Titanium. I commend you for not contributing to US' (and United's) financial woes in this instance, but unfortunately, many of your (former?) comrades were not so noble when the challenge arose.

whlinder said:
They knew, and I think they did what they could. But there are fewer fare updates on the weekend, as there is much less fare activity. So they would have had to ensure that every GDS pulled the fares out manually. That is no small task on a Saturday with fewer people working, and lets just say that I've seen 'smaller' errors in scope than this one.
[post="262869"][/post]​
Thanks for the info. I'm under the impression they actually became aware of the problem mid morning on Saturday.

You may be able to answer another question I have. Why did it take so long for the orbitz and other web sites so long to pull the fare buckets? I always thought they were pulling from the buckets that US maintained. People were still booking tickets using these sites at 10-11:00 PM Saturday night.

avek00 said:
Normally I don't respond to ad hominem attacks, but as a point of clarification: I have only received a "lifetime ban" from one site (FlyerTalk), and that had to do with my very vocal opposition to FlyerTalk's financial support of the anti-airline SaveSkyMiles effort.
[post="262871"][/post]​
You, I and many others here know that this is not the truth.

Latest posts

Back