Jumping Ship....is it time?

US1YFARE

Veteran
Mar 31, 2004
I do a lot of ranting, complaining, whining, joking, etc. etc. etc.--but, I don't do trip reports. I debated whether or not to post this, and decided what the heck--some people may be interested others could care less and they can just get annoyed reading this.

Last week, I had a not-so-good travel week with US, and there was the article involving Travis Christ's comments, and let's not forget the first class closets, and then there was the fare quote from PHL-BOS that I got last weekend. I really do believe that the executive level at US does not care about keep the VFF. They tell us what they want us to believe but do not respond by making positive changes. Indeed, I cannot name one change that has been positive for the east coast VFF.

Well, I decided that luvn737 and several others are correct...just leave...so, I went onto FL's website, signed up for the FF program, and booked a ticket to Boston--in less than 10 minutes. The website works very well and is easy to navigate. I received email notifications of the flight, notice of availability of web checkin, and it uploaded my flight schedule into my Outlook Calendar. I'm telling you it was a good website.

Check-in at PHL was easy. Someone actually approached me and did the kiosk for me--I didn't ask...she just did it. I checked a bag to see what happened.

The flight boarded on time. Business Class boards first. Now get this...PREDEPARTURE DRINKS. The FA offered any drink you wanted and had already started making coffee. Again, get this--real creamers. During the flight they had a decent snack basket (selection of cookies, granola bars, and chips). The flight attendants were on the young side and friendly. It was morning flight and the lights were dimmed. Before the flight and while landing some of the FA's talked to some of the pax. During the flight, they served multiple drinks, including cocktails, on this short flight. In Y they only take credit cards for cocktails. FL has XM satellite radio with free headsets for everyone. The seats seemed a little smaller than US FC, but maybe I'm getting fatter. The plane was immaculate and the lav was larger I believe than on US. There is no closet to hang your coat. The flight arrived early and my bag was out within minutes.

The return trip was delightful as well. Check-in at BOS was a bit chaotic--reminded me of PHX last week. Still, the gate agents (very young) were friendly and smiled. The flight boarded timely and left the gate early. A predeparture drink was served--alcholic or otherwise. The FA's, again young, wore FL Santa hats and greeted everyone as they boarded. The plane was not as clean as the first one, but was along the lines of US. The tray tables, however, were immaculate. XM radio and snack basket--this time cookies, chips, and pita puffs or something like that. Cocktails were served and I even saw the FA give someone 2 minis ala US. Even though the flight departed early, we had a groundstop on the runway...as soon as the announcement was made, the FA started serving cocktails and drinks in the Biz Class. I was a bit surprised considering they told us that we would only be delayed for 30 mins.

I know this was just one flight and problems are expected after taking more flights and I'm sure I'll get tired of FL's snack basket, BUT, booking that next FL flight won't be so difficult. That is what US should be concerned about. I've experienced FL and it is good. I'd say what they offer between PHL and BOS is BETTER than what US offers--mainly because of the XM radio.

US wanted $950 for my refundable flight to BOS from PHL (Y ticket with an upgrade to FC). FL wanted $338 for my Biz Class seat. That's a huge difference and I got more for my money--lots more. I wouldn't have even considered this 6 months ago--I probably would have pulled a Piney Bob (sorry, Bob) and priced it out, but then refunded it or pulled out because I wanted to fly US. But now, Tempe has given me so many reasons to bolt and that process has started. UA got about $6K in revenue from me this year that should have gone to US, but didn't because of US's FC product. Now, I'm booking flights on other REAL lcc's. I guess we'll see what happens.

Tempe doesn't know how to define US and while they remain unfocused, they will continue to lose customers. Getting those customers back will take a lot longer than it took to lose those customers.

US1YFARE...nice try, glad you had a good first time experience. I commute on them regularly and they are very nice to commuting crew members but they are just like any other airline...I have seen and wittnessed alot of things that have happened that you may have missed on your ONE flight. Take them several times and report back...please. I talked to one of their pilots the other day on the crew bus, he use to be with us...and he HATES it there. He says it's a big "ghetto" airline...nothing but a big regional operation. I'm glad you liked them...take them all you want, but don't report back after ONE lousy flight how WONDERFUL they were. Commute with me for a few months and you'll see!!!! This pilot said managemnt has NO respect for the crew members and treats you like crap. I'll favor LCC anyday, thank you. So the website doesn't work...novel idea, PICK UP THE PHONE. I've logged onto many different companies websites and things didn't work...you know what, I called them. WOW!!! If the website is the worst thing in your life that ever happens...I'm happy for you! LCC is in the middle of a major corpoate deal and all we can rag on is the frick'n website...sad!!! PICK UP THE PHONE!! Your another one after reading your past posts is complain. LCC is going to make over $500 million dollars this year...somethings working. Let the employees enjoy this we haven't had anything to be happy about for a long time now, and your worried about the website. Enjoy connecting through ATL all the time..you'll change your tune. I can here it now, "What do you mean there is a three hour delay in ATL, well atleast the website works. Good, because you'll need it to work while your sitting in ATL waiting for your connection looking how your getting to your final destination. :up:

Nuf said about nutt'n!!

Is it BLUE KoolAde today? Or mebbe Orange? Is that a cuckoo clock or another Westie reading the script?

If you read my post carefully, you would have noticed that I admitted that it was just one flight. There was a point that was obviously missed by you. Are you part of the Westie class that just got their GED? OOOPs...sorry, I shouldn't insult them by including you in that group.

I don't complain about weather delays. And, when your website is the tool that the company uses to attract customers and generate customers, yes, it should work. I guess everytime that the website doesn't work, I'll just take a minute and thank God that I don't have cancer. Thank you for pointing out the important things in life. :blink:

If you knew anything at all, you would know that when we call the US1 desk to make a reservation, because we are an East customer, our reservations are treated like second class citizens when traveling through HP stations. But, heck, that's life, especially when you are paying through the nose for your tickets...don't sweat the small stuff...

Who isn't making money these days? It's not hard. US's route structure has always been the envy of the domestic airline industry. It was their cost structure that was killing them. But, you will believe that Doug is your savior and without him, your airline would not be profitable. Your company is profitable BUT FOR your management team. Fares are up and people are traveling.

What happened to me with FL is exactly what YOUR company hopes people do with US..."mebbe we'll get suzie occasional traveler who usually books WN but takes us one time and says, wow, this isn't bad". That is what happened to me.

Instead of criticizing your customers for recognizing that LCC has REAL LCC competition, maybe you should try to focus on delivering a decent product at a fair price. But it's ok, I hear there are very good drugs for people who are as delusional as you.

By the way...NOT everyone is making money, two that come to mind are FL and B6. Gee if FL is so great...how in the world are they losing money when the rest of us are making money! FL has pulled back growth and delayed aircraft orders. Must be those cheap fares and those chips and cookies you got that's costing them dearly. On your next terrible trip on LCC, stop up in the cockpit and introduce yourself by your board name, maybe I'll have the pleasure meeting you!

On your next terrible trip on LCC, stop up in the cockpit and introduce yourself by your board name, maybe I'll have the pleasure meeting you!

Geez, anyone have the Carebridge 800 number????

I'll be sure to do that....you fly RJ's right? :shock:

But WHO are you making money at the expense of?

30,000 or so workers leap out at me. Lower wages don't last forever.

How big a haircut did you personally take for Dougie to cash in his options?

Never mindingthe VFF whose revenue pas the bills. Who needs those rat Bustards?

It's a house of cards and if DP gets shut out of the merger mating dance, then he'll actually have to operate and grow an airline like a real businessman. M & A is Great for the quick buck artists but let's see how well the plan succeeds over time.

Piney..answer the question!! How can FL and B6 be losing money. That's the question I ask...you turned it into a rag on LCC again. Answer the question. I'll ask again..."How can FL and B6 be losing money and everyone else is MAKING money. With those CHEAP fares, as you know you can fill an airplane and LOSE money. Extremely tough to make money on leisure fares..only SWA does and thats mainly because of hedgeing! Piney, if you don't like LCC, for gosh sake, move on. If I don't like shopping at Wal-Mart I won't go back. I won't waste my time EVERY night hammering on it!

So Piney...ANSWER the question!

Is FL losing money, or, are they going to post a profit for the year? I think you are referring to one quarter this year.

Piney..answer the question!! How can FL and B6 be losing money. That's the question I ask...
Have you looked at the quarterly's? FL lost money in the 3Q - just like US - and has made money for the 1st 3Q - just like US.

Jim

Have you looked at the quarterly's? FL lost money in the 3Q - just like US - and has made money for the 1st 3Q - just like US.

Jim

ROTFLMFAO....But apparently, he KNOWS EVERYTHING.... :up: :up: :up: Now go get me a vodka tonic with two minis please...your stripes mean what????...whatever, I'm still thirsty...

Why do you keep commenting on the the fact that the flight attentants were "on the young side?" What does that have to todo with the service???

Do East flights still not serve predeparture drinks? I have never been on a West flight to this day that I have not either been served a real predeparture drink (not just water), or seen FAs serving predeparture drinks if I am in coach. Come to think of it, I am usually served two or more predeparture drinks as I drink very quickly and the FA usually comes and asks if they can get me something more.

Why the inconsistency? I have heard that East served either water or nothing at all (usually in the A321), but I would have thought that by now they would make the policy consistent. Seems skeptical to me

This post seams the typical "the grass is greener over at the other airline." While I have many problems with the "New" USAirways, in particular removing the closets to cram in extra seats on the planeis the top of my list. SOrry I drink my coffe black, but no real cram is just tacky.

I also fly alot and on many airlines US-CP, NW-Plt, Dl-Gold and AA-Gold. They all have their problems and pluses and minuses. You need to fly each several times before making a judgement.

As for the fares, any airline cannot be the cheapest all the time on every route. Yesterday morning I was online looking for a one-way fare from YOW-MHT. US $111.00, NW $896.00, AC $ 586. I choose AC since they had the only mid-afternoon flight and got me home at a reasonable hour.

I could have gone over to the NW board and ranted about ripoff fares, but found out they only has 1 Y seat left. US was way too cheap for that route, and the AC fare was lower than normal. I usually pay about $750.00 for a one-way ticket on that route.

While I still pondering what airline will get more business and what airline will get more busines(I need them all) the recent changes are making it harder for me to give US more business on routes where other carriers have equal or better products. I have stopped flying US on the very few trans-con I take.

It is hard to make a fair comparison on a few flights. Heck if you ask me from my personal experience, SW has empty planes, on the three flights I have taken with them I have had a full row to myself.

SO you need to fly other carries as much as you fly US to make a fair comparison.

OK people. I didn't start the thread because I think FL is the bestest airline in the whole wide world. Instead, I am pointing out that due to US's continuous stupid decisions and treatment of their VFF, I have begun to explore my options and what I found surprised me.

Next, I specifically mentioned that the flight attendants were young. I'm sick and tired of looking at the old bags on US. JUST KIDDING people!!!! RELAX!!! I said that because one of my complaints with some HP FA's is that they are very young and either not as worldly or educated as their US counterparts. So, despite FL's young FA's, I thought they provided good service.