2014 Fleet Service Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can see the logic in it ...it's like taking an extra week of vacation ...

You can spend some holiday time with your family and get paid to sit at home in luxury. ...

Or you can come in during the busiest working time of the year and really earn your money ...

Looks like lots of people decided to take the easy way out .

ograc said:
Tighter language in the new JCBA concerning mandatory overtime. Check. Emergency situations... understandable. On a daily basis, because of the lack of staffing... I don't think so. Mandatory overtime, based on the company not hiring adequate staffing, seems almost illegal. Unfortunately, the current language, defines only how mandatory overtime is to be issued. It lacks any language that establishes parameters by which mandatory overtime is justified. This is an example of why a joint contract agreement should be read and reviewed in it's entirety. Work rule language needs improvement. If not... then be prepared to live with the consequences. This abuse of mandatory overtime is an example of the company taking full advantage of what is allowed by contract. In the meantime... choose thy fate! IMO... The contract goes far beyond the compensation package.
The company is not abusing mandatory overtime, they have been forced to take these extrema measures because of our membership abusing the sick policy ...

If you ask me we need to go back to the policy of not paying people for the holiday if they call in the day before , during or after the day ..

I should note that it would make little difference how many new people the company hires if they too also decide to call off sick ..

freedom said:
The company is not abusing mandatory overtime, they have been forced to take these extrema measures because of our membership abusing the sick policy ...

On the other hand there are some nasty bugs going around.  The other night I saw someone tossing his cookies right outside of UDO.  I've seen people in the last couple weeks being in no condition to work working just the same and exposing others in the mean time.

I'm sure that there are legitimate illnesses, I even feel as if I'm coming down with something, but I also feel that there is a significant group that is simply calling in because they can ..

Also, let's not forget the bitter, bitter cold we've been having , they had to bring out the deicing truck the other day ...

CJ youre absolutely right bro    in my station  just in the last couple weeks or so we've had a number of agents with the bug going around working and then calling out sick      and when I say a number  we been working both sides (AA/US) with barely 3 agents   and some flights been taking hits big time    but then mgmt. just doesn't give a rats bout getting more help and believe me when I say  we need it   we def do need extra help

ograc said:

Tighter language in the new JCBA concerning mandatory overtime. Check. Emergency situations... understandable. On a daily basis, because of the lack of staffing... I don't think so. Mandatory overtime, based on the company not hiring adequate staffing, seems almost illegal. Unfortunately, the current language, defines only how mandatory overtime is to be issued. It lacks any language that establishes parameters by which mandatory overtime is justified. This is an example of why a joint contract agreement should be read and reviewed in it's entirety. Work rule language needs improvement. If not... then be prepared to live with the consequences. This abuse of mandatory overtime is an example of the company taking full advantage of what is allowed by contract. In the meantime... choose thy fate! IMO... The contract goes far beyond the compensation package.    

We've had that problem constantly in the past and we do have language that manpower is not an emergency situation. Management will still hand out the slips and most people are too scared to challenge them and say that they are not staying. Even had a guy one time who's Grandmother had just died and was getting on a flight the next morning, they gave him a hard time until I said "GO HOME" right in front of that manager and if he wants to raise a stink we'll deal with it when you get back.

Most people want the money though by percentage since they have to slip the entire shift and many times it's easy money.

freedom said:

Freedom you are not the judge to decide if members are sick or not.

If you ask me we need to go back to the policy of not paying people for the holiday if they call in the day before , during or after the day ..

Why? Do you want to work for the company?

I should note that it would make little difference how many new people the company hires if they too also decide to call off sick ..

When it comes to the Holiday we used to get Double and a half but yes if you called in sick the day before or after you only got straight time for the Holiday and it didn't come out of your sick bank. Only maniacs or people on their death bed would call in sick.

Reactions: 1 person
freedom said:
I'm sure that there are legitimate illnesses, I even feel as if I'm coming down with something, but I also feel that there is a significant group that is simply calling in because they can ..

Also, let's not forget the bitter, bitter cold we've been having , they had to bring out the deicing truck the other day ...
Stop sounding like management if you're not a part of their gene pool. It's not a very endearing quality for someone who benefits from a Union contract my man.

Reactions: 3 people
Look I'm as pro union as the next guy but when you see rampant abuse of the sick policy I mean come ON...

And manpower IS an emergency as far as ramp is concerned , our business is to load and push out planes , if we don't have the people than we can't do our jobs ...

I dislike entitlement mindset, just because we have a union contract doesn't mean we exist in some sort of separate universe than the rest of the company. ..

We are well compensated (by AZ standards) to do our jobs , I expect people to behave like adults ..

Reactions: 2 people
freedom said:
Look I'm as pro union as the next guy but when you see rampant abuse of the sick policy I mean come ON...

And manpower IS an emergency as far as ramp is concerned , our business is to load and push out planes , if we don't have the people than we can't do our jobs ...

I dislike entitlement mindset, just because we have a union contract doesn't mean we exist in some sort of separate universe than the rest of the company. ..

We are well compensated (by AZ standards) to do our jobs , I expect people to behave like adults ..
That's fine bro and I can understand where you're coming from but you're also not your brothers keeper. You just come in to work and do the best you can with the tools that the company provides you. If those tools are not available then you don't try and put the square peg in the round hole.

It's managements job to worry about the things you're talking about and if you're co-workers aren't doing the right thing or have no work ethics be proud that you do. But don't cast stones when you can't speak for everyone.

We've all had days we've worked short and we always will. Just do the best you can safely and when the time comes go home safe as well.

700UW said:
Pro-Union?

You are only pro-freedom wallet.

Shall I continue?
700UW the one thing I give Freedom credit for since I've been back on the forums and read the things he's posted is that the guy is honest.

Too many people on these pages have no clue how to be that and BS all over the place but behind closed doors we all have our dirty little secrets.

I may not always agree with people but when they're honest they get credit for it and my respect.

WeAA,

He voted for and campaigned and gloated about the raise he got in the 2008 Transition Agreement, which he was warned would lead to outsourcing and layoffs of his fellow brothers and sisters.

He is not honest, nor pro-labor.

Go back and read the thread, hey freedom what happened to all the gloom and doom you posted about the economy collapsing and the IAM should have gotten a new CBA way earlier, which would have led to less gains?

700UW said:
WeAA,

He voted for and campaigned and gloated about the raise he got in the 2008 Transition Agreement, which he was warned would lead to outsourcing and layoffs of his fellow brothers and sisters.

He is not honest, nor pro-labor.
Go back and read the thread, hey freedom what happened to all the gloom and doom you posted about the economy collapsing and the IAM should have gotten a new CBA way earlier, which would have led to less gains?
Well I wouldn't call gloating an admirable trait but if he has a CBA in front of him and he wants to petition for it's passing that's his right.

We'll eventually have a JCBA in front of us as well and there may be people on here that don't agree with it being passed. You can tell that I'm not a person who's going to shy away from my opinion on what I think of it and I may even be an advocate for it?

BUT if there is anything in there that could potentially harm someone else I will at least respect that member's point of view and position and, uh certainly not gloat.

When it comes to the union management relationship I've always taken after the German model where both parties are responsible and concerned about job performance. ..

I don't want to see people get in trouble but at the same time I think it's important to take away incentives that encourage people to abuse the system...

As for working short, I don't like it ..The honest hard working members show up everyday and end up working twice as hard to make up for the short fall..This causes tempers to flare people to rush and accidents to happen leading to more injuries. ..

What's happening right now is simply inconsiderate of our fellow brothers and sisters. ..

Status
Not open for further replies.