June - IAM Fleet Service Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
For many reasons it's much easier for the Pilots to threaten a strike. For instance, Relatively few members could cause much chaos.
I would be up for overall education to all FS about the strike option. Even with all the obsticles the RLA poses it's still a valuable tool. Maybe the next convention could bring it up.
Bagfather,
I respectfully disagree it's any easier for the pilots to threaten a strike than any other work group. If any one organized workgroup were to go on strike it would have an adverse financial impact on the the company, the members of the union striking and all employed with the company. In the end it is the final option when both parties have failed to meet halfway. Under the RLA it is the leverage granted to organized labor in their efforts to obtain fair and equitable working conditions for the employees they represent.
ograc

We went on strike in 92 as M&R they still flew over us, but they grounded the entire F100, F28, DC9, 737-200s and the MD80.

They bleed cash but working by the book during the 30 day cooling off period was what worked best.

The FAs system of CHAOS is more effective, as the company doesnt know when or where what flight would be struck. So say one day CLT day shift walked off, they could never recover from that.

Reactions: 1 person
We went on strike in 92 as M&R they still flew over us, but they grounded the entire F100, F28, DC9, 737-200s and the MD80.

They bleed cash but working by the book during the 30 day cooling off period was what worked best.

The FAs system of CHAOS is more effective, as the company doesnt know when or where what flight would be struck. So say one day CLT day shift walked off, they could never recover from that.
700UW,
IMO...Keeping the members on the property with a system of CHAOS is a viable option. Under the RLA the strike vote is the legal option. Regardless... both options require solidarity among the members to be effective. In the end... without solidarity the group is destined to be divided and conquered. Addressing the apathy among the membership, increasing involvent, engaging the membership and subsequently building solidarity among the members is the key to contractual gains for all organized workgroups on the property.
ograc

You would have to have a strike vote anyhow in order to perform CHAOS.
Agreed. IMO... wheather it be a strike vote...CHAOS... the common thread is solidarity and support of the negotiating committee representing the members. Both require an engaged membership. IMO... without the solidarity and support of the members the negotiating committee and affected group is headed into the buzz saw.

During our negotiations in 1999, one day all of us in mechanic and related in CLT, PIT and PHL wore one red wrist band and even the ramp did in CLT, it started on the first day of super mediation five days before the 30 day cooling off period was to end.

It drove local management crazy and they were on the phone with CCY and PIT and the VP of Mtc, Charlie Nardello told them to back off and let us wear them. Funny thing is the negotiating committee wore them too, lol!

During our negotiations in 1999, one day all of us in mechanic and related in CLT, PIT and PHL wore one red wrist band and even the ramp did in CLT, it started on the first day of super mediation five days before the 30 day cooling off period was to end.

It drove local management crazy and they were on the phone with CCY and PIT and the VP of Mtc, Charlie Nardello told them to back off and let us wear them. Funny thing is the negotiating committee wore them too, lol!
The one and only threat to management imposing their will on the workers is solidarity among the work group. Historically, it is what organized labor was founded on. IMO... engaging the members and building solidarity is the foundation to achieving future gains for any organized group. This fundemental goal remains the challenge for any leadership team... for without it we are a scattered flock with the wolves at the door.

The one and only threat to management imposing their will on the workers is solidarity among the work group. Historically, it is what organized labor was founded on. IMO... engaging the members and building solidarity is the foundation to achieving future gains for any organized group. This fundemental goal remains the challenge for any leadership team... for without it we are a scattered flock with the wolves at the door.

Its talk like this that educates the membership so they know what they are entitled too. Having them ask their peers that know, and are willing to share is not a threat but an education. Too many of our peers have never been around an actual strike vote. Not that there would ever be one, but it should always be on our minds when things start going south after all else fails.
People use to give their lives for the cause of labor ! I am not at all a radical but i think we as a group have given enough. More than those who are just coming into this business could know. Think of yourself what you will..." just a baggage handler " but i would hope one would think of themselves in higher regard !

I know in CLT we put Mechanic and Related and Fleet Service through the union awareness program, I was one of the instructors, it was done in the late 90s if I remember correctly.

Its talk like this that educates the membership so they know what they are entitled too. Having them ask their peers that know, and are willing to share is not a threat but an education. Too many of our peers have never been around an actual strike vote. Not that there would ever be one, but it should always be on our minds when things start going south after all else fails.
People use to give their lives for the cause of labor ! I am not at all a radical but i think we as a group have given enough. More than those who are just coming into this business could know. Think of yourself what you will..." just a baggage handler " but i would hope one would think of themselves in higher regard !
mike33,
When Hoffa organized the lowly truck drivers it was no different. They were just a bunch of "truckers" trying to scratch out a living while the companies they drove for made profits. Every organized work group represents an important spoke in the wheel. It's all about the work group uniting for the common good. The strike vote is a sign of solidarity. IMO... without a strong strike vote from the members they send their negotiating committee into negotiations bent over with their pants down.

mike33,
When Hoffa organized the lowly truck drivers it was no different. They were just a bunch of "truckers" trying to scratch out a living while the companies they drove for made profits. Every organized work group represents an important spoke in the wheel. It's all about the work group uniting for the common good. The strike vote is a sign of solidarity. IMO... without a strong strike vote from the members they send their negotiating committee into negotiations bent over with their pants down.

Cargo,
Hoffa was who i was thinking about. Concurr!

The negotiating committee has had and still does have my full support to do the right thing. I've spoken to some of them personally, since I know them. The politics are over. Remember, the District is where the issues are.

Niblet,

I find it interesting that your president to be... "Nelson" has not followed suit and offered his own words of support. I'll bet you any amount of money he will critique the whole process, and make further claims of impropriety regardless of what transpires over the next year or so.

Stay involved, you heart was in the right place as was Cargo's...

BroBilly

Cargo,
Hoffa was who i was thinking about. Concurr!
The challenge for the newly elected team will be to build solidarity among the members. To make them realize, we as a group play an important role in the successful daily operation of the company. To enlighten the junior members they should have a profound interest in the direction of contract negotiations. To encourage them to stay informed and support the efforts of their Negotiating Committee. Throughout the campaign, at each local's polling place, IMO... and based on what I witnessed, the majority of those voting were members with many years of employment. IMO... we need to find a way to get the younger / junior members engaged.

Status
Not open for further replies.