3 new 757's &west pilots

etops1

Veteran
Dec 6, 2003
what is all the fuss about from the west pilots about the 3 757's we got to fly intl? there are on the east certificate . what hard to understand about this. we needed them asap so that other airlines would not take over gates in phl. it makes more sense to have phl pilots fly them than have phx pilots fly them. becaue you would have to d/h phx based crews to overnight in phl then have them fly to europe. just like it makes sense for the phx crews to fly hawaii runs. also our guys in phl are already trained in european overwater ops. the phx guys are not. i am sure that in due time they will be. don't get me wrong , i would love to fly our new friends to europe . i am sure we will have a blast since most of the phx crews are younger and more energetic but this is something that needed to be done quickly. someone please enlighten me on this issue because it keeps coming up . i just don't see why j.r baker doesen't see this.

Labor negotiations 101. It's called prevention of the potential whipsaw, A lovely little tool airline management loves to use. For any example, take a look at ASA/Skywest. ASA has higher pay rates for some equipment. Skywest bought ASA from delta. ASA is fighting some paycuts. Ooops...Management decides, too many airplanes at ASA, need to go to skywest (for cheaper) ASA needs to furlough. Skywest needs to hire now. ASA now starts scrambling to save jobs and such, skywest happy they get growth now. That's the simple explanation.
Basically classic airline management, during buyouts and such, would ask or threaten for concessions or other quids, or threaten to move growth or existing flying over to other certificate. (another example, Polar/Atlas) The transition agreement was supposed to help alleviate that coming up, and rightfully so the issue has been settled. Though how it is all going to play out in the end, who knows. AWA now have the rights to the first 7 Capt/FO seats on the 757 after the integration is completed. This of course will create some movement, and open up spots below for furloughed (we hope) BUT that also means that the top 7 US f/o's would miss upgrading. There will be a better picture of how it all plays out when the seniority integration is completed.

Interesting note, with the 190 growth, they are "due" half those seats also, by the transition agreement. Most likely Jr. F/O's at West that want to move east would like those Capt seats over in a east base. I hear the arguement or fear of the West side, concerning PHX/LAS, and being bumped by Sr. East people. Uhmmm....how people commute for West? How many are drooling at being able to come back to the east and live, and take positions over there while there are 1800 on furlough?

what is all the fuss about from the west pilots about the 3 757's we got to fly intl? there are on the east certificate . what hard to understand about this. we needed them asap so that other airlines would not take over gates in phl. it makes more sense to have phl pilots fly them than have phx pilots fly them. becaue you would have to d/h phx based crews to overnight in phl then have them fly to europe. just like it makes sense for the phx crews to fly hawaii runs. also our guys in phl are already trained in european overwater ops. the phx guys are not. i am sure that in due time they will be. don't get me wrong , i would love to fly our new friends to europe . i am sure we will have a blast since most of the phx crews are younger and more energetic but this is something that needed to be done quickly. someone please enlighten me on this issue because it keeps coming up . i just don't see why j.r baker doesen't see this.

I was reading your email, and when I got to "j.r. baker" it all became clear. All I can say is welcome to jr's world.

Not the best example of a pilot.

East vs. West. PHX vs. PHL. Divide and conquer. The most effective management strategy ever devised....

An approach actively promoted on this board by Pittsburgh haters.

When will the dogass Cardinals win the Super Bowl?

Man you got that right. The GAG'rs are again starting to come out. They are begining to get that fearful feeling that PIT and PHL might try to stand up for the profession once again.

Cardinals and the Super Bowl. Just as soon as they find a coach. Dennis Green!?!?!?!?!?!?!
Jeeeeeeeeeeez.......... The only guys who might be more incompetent than him are the BOS and CLT copilot reps.

pilot

East vs. West. PHX vs. PHL. Divide and conquer. The most effective management strategy ever devised....

This sounds like some crap from the 90's when it was 2Pac Vs. Biggie Smalls!!! East Coast Vs. West Coast!!! Too funny!!!