777-200 cabin mod? 2 Class config on the way?

AAviator

Veteran
Nov 12, 2002
Been hearing lots about 772's being configured to 2 class service. Rumors are a bunch of 757-767 upgrades on the NATL, some 767-777 upgrades, some permanent deletions out of BOS, some seasonal services upgraded to year round, TXL, DFW-BCN etc.... Where's that MAHXXX guy?

Yep, he's been gone for about two years aside from the occasional drop in. Other than a small handful of us who remained behind, those interested in non-union or customer oriented discussion abandoned this place some time ago ago...

I'd expect the two-class shoe to drop eventually on all or a portion of the 772 fleet. Going back to a mixed fleet would be the only way to address the service parity issue in JV markets with JL and BA, but would add back all the complexity that AA got rid of when they standardized the 772 fleet.

On May 9, AA announced that all 47 existing 772s would get the new CX/US flat parallel to the floor business class and that all 47 772s would become two-class, leaving just the 10 77Ws with First (and only eight Flagship Suites per). Here's the press release:

http://aa.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=43&item=3507

The 763s will also get flat business class with direct aisle-access from every seat (but may be different seat from 777s).

If I were in charge, I'd keep eight F seats on the 772s, so they'd match the 77Ws. Among the benefits would be increased seating density (more J to sell, fewer F filled with J->F upgrades and lower CASM) plus it would lessen the sub-fleet impact of just 10 777s with international F seats. 77W breaks down - 772 could pinch hit. 772s could be used in off-seasons or slower days of the week (Tuesdays, Wednesdays, etc) but still accomodate RTW F tickets, etc. I don't see the rationale for flying just 80 3-class F seats systemwide on a subfleet of 10 777s.

Ok, so thats where that came from..

Hearing things like BOS-Paris gone for good after this season, and BOS-LHR goes to 1X daily. JFK sees some upgrades and two or three new destinations, along with decreased frequency to LHR. MIA sees all sorts of things... LAX sees one or two new destination.

Thanks for the link..

So what's the plan for BA/IAG, is AA just the low ball airline for the bal tatooed castoffs of BA?

Ok, so thats where that came from..

Hearing things like BOS-Paris gone for good after this season, and BOS-LHR goes to 1X daily. JFK sees some upgrades and two or three new destinations, along with decreased frequency to LHR. MIA sees all sorts of things... LAX sees one or two new destination.

Thanks for the link..

Not surprising about BOS-LHR, with AA flying trAAshy 757s when partner BA has multiple 744s and 777s it's a no brainier. BA 238 is a great flight taken it before, seems to be one of the least frequent New FIRST equipped routes according to agents at BOS and FTDashboard. But even a BA 777 that hasn't been touched since 1998 will always be light years ahaed of AAs 757!

Josh

Back