A look back at Piedmont

As a former PI and now former US employee. I can say one of the places rumored to be soo bad was actually a very nice place to work ( in spite of some of the crappy facilities ) . I worked at both NYC stations and met some of the hardest working and nicest people. That went for the for employees from each carrier . We've all heard of bad blood amongst some , but I can say overall , people in the stations I worked all generally liked each other.
You know, for the most part I have to agree with you. I had countless pleasant experiences with original US folks during that time. There were some notable exceptions, however, and there was rude, inexcusable behavior by individuals from BOTH employee groups back in those days leading up to and after the PI/US merger. But for the most part I think everyone dealt with it fairly well. It truly is ancient history and most people have moved on. But when someone posts something here that is simply a reminiscence of Piedmont or something Piedmont-oriented, there's absolutely no reason for an original US employee (or anyone else) to degrade and belittle it.

Original Piedmont employees are rightly proud of the accomplishments and accolades of that company and that pride will never go away, no matter how insecure it makes SOME others feel or how much they can't stand hearing us talk about it.

Another way of saying that is that the bases were in the deep south, land of the developed world's most disfunctional school systems. After many years of enduring the insipid banter of gals who know more about Jerry Springer than who is running for President, I would agree that this was not a match made in heaven. :down:
Tacky, Sweetie, is that uniform fake bottle-blond hairdo still being sported by about 75% of those classy CLT "belles." :lol:

Yeah, because western Pennsyltucky is so culturally advanced. :lol: And if we're going to start digging up stereotypes about F/As, can we talk about some of the old PIT gals? Flipped up collars, permed kinky hair teased to Jesus and blue eye shadow for days, and enough jewelry on their necks and wrists for a Mr. T Starter Kit. And let's not forget some of those PIT male F/As - straight from the steel mill to the crew lounge, top button undone, tie pulled down (mauve of course...those guys couldn't let go of that mauve tie and pocket square), tote bag slung over their shoulders because they refused to get the luggage with wheels (too gay??). Yeah.....real classy.

Don't think so, honey. The PI fleet was loaded with old junker 72s and 3s. Before the merger, PI's pilots had a nickname, the "Delta Dogs," for the old 72s with the small engines that came from Delta. Funny how they stopped calling them that as soon as the merger was announced. The first 40 or so aircraft that were parked in the years after the merger were all from PI. And let's not even go there about your fine F-28s. :lol:

I don't think anyone who came from an airline with a sizeable portion of its fleet made up of DC-9's and BAC-111's is in any kind of a position to throw stones at someone else's fleet mix. Ahh, the Vista Jet - hear it roaring above the strip mines of the Allegheny Mountains!!! :lol: And what did good ol' Ed Colodny order instead of the new 737's when he had the chance? The F-100. Niiiiiice. Of course, what do you expect from a man that wanted to sell the 767's and discontinue service to LGW?

<SNIP> And let's not forget some of those PIT male F/As - straight from the steel mill to the crew lounge, top button undone, tie pulled down (mauve of course...those guys couldn't let go of that mauve tie and pocket square), tote bag slung over their shoulders because they refused to get the luggage with wheels (too gay??). Yeah.....real classy.
Hey, that’s me!

Well except for the mauve tie and pocket square. The navy blue tie didn’t show the buffalo wing sauce stains from the Airways in BUF, and my pocket was always stuffed full of Gate Check and Zone tags.

Hey, that’s me!

Well except for the mauve tie and pocket square. The navy blue tie didn’t show the buffalo wing sauce stains from the Airways in BUF, and my pocket was always stuffed full of Gate Check and Zone tags.
Wow...I'd forgotten about those gate check and zone tags! And great memories of the wings from the Airways in BUF. Ahh good times, good times.

So, how's your shoulder these days? Is one lower than the other from having that tote bag slung over it? J/K ;)

Don't think so, honey. The PI fleet was loaded with old junker 72s and 3s. Before the merger, PI's pilots had a nickname, the "Delta Dogs," for the old 72s with the small engines that came from Delta. Funny how they stopped calling them that as soon as the merger was announced. The first 40 or so aircraft that were parked in the years after the merger were all from PI. And let's not even go there about your fine F-28s. :lol:

Another way of saying that is that the bases were in the deep south, land of the developed world's most disfunctional school systems. After many years of enduring the insipid banter of gals who know more about Jerry Springer than who is running for President, I would agree that this was not a match made in heaven. :down:

Tacky, Sweetie, is that uniform fake bottle-blond hairdo still being sported by about 75% of those classy CLT "belles." :lol:

Points noted. You, too, might note that, as evident in your post, the north has DYSFUNCTIONAL school systems, too. As for the F-28, I still take it over the 111 or the 146.

Points noted. You, too, might note that, as evident in your post, the north has DYSFUNCTIONAL school systems, too. As for the F-28, I still take it over the 111 or the 146.
u may have forgotten...

the f-28 was Piedmont's POS...

LOL

remember...
not USAirs...

they that pos dc-9 and md 80 member???

u may have forgotten...

the f-28 was Piedmont's POS...

LOL

remember...
not USAirs...

they that pos dc-9 and md 80 member???

In retrospect you may have thought the F28's or the 727's or the 737-200's were junk , others may have thought the same of the Nines or the BAC's. The fact is they were all good aircraft for various reasons. Otherwise they would not have stayed in the fleet as long as they did , they just added to the complexity of the airline. and that needed to change.

Everyone gets nostalgic about one aircraft type or another, i admit to it too.... no need to dig up the dead and throw the dirt at others. Its been nearly 20yrs people . Lets not get into another pi$$ing contest . Stick together and make this a good airlne in spite of those who dont care if it will ever be.

respectfully

Yeah, because western Pennsyltucky is so culturally advanced. :lol: And if we're going to start digging up stereotypes about F/As, can we talk about some of the old PIT gals? Flipped up collars, permed kinky hair teased to Jesus and blue eye shadow for days, and enough jewelry on their necks and wrists for a Mr. T Starter Kit. And let's not forget some of those PIT male F/As - straight from the steel mill to the crew lounge, top button undone, tie pulled down (mauve of course...those guys couldn't let go of that mauve tie and pocket square), tote bag slung over their shoulders because they refused to get the luggage with wheels (too gay??). Yeah.....real classy.

Hey,
You did see "Flashdance" didn't you? :shock:

Later,
Eye

At least PI had the foresight to bring the F28's in under the mainline banner. Flown by mainline, mainline mechs, mainline station personnel.

US, on the other hand, couldn't wait to use the essentially the same a/c (RJ's) to bust unions.

And FWIW, those F28's were all refurbished by Fokker before coming to PI, and they were very reliable.

They'd also carry their max operating weight nearly every day, as opposed to the modern underpowered lawn darts.