A.M.F.A. Files for Election

atabuy,nobody said voting AMFA in is going to save us
from concessions.The time for the IAM to go is now.
They are worthless and I want them off the property period as far as mechanics are concerned.AMFA didnt file
with the NMB to save us from the BK judge,they filed because a lot of feel they can give us better representation.It was going to happen sooner or later,and if enough of us vote for them the mechanics in
the long run eventually will be better off.The company isnt going to be BK forever and when times are better I
would rather have AMFA bargaining for me than the IAM.
I've sent them my membership fee and hope others do to.
All mechanics in my opinion should be under the same
roof similar to ALPA.

UAL_TECH,

Read my first post and you'll understand why. I'm not opposed to the opportunity, it's the timing that I'm so damn ticked off about. Look what it did during the contract negotiation. It stalled negotiation because the nmb had to investigate the filing. Time will tell but it might have a negative impact again and we're the ones(the membership) who's gonna end up suffering, not AMFA and not the IAM.

Maybe it's too early but I don't see folks jumping with joy or disgruntled about the AMFA filing. Maybe people realizes that it doesn't matter at this point. It's pretty quiet actually. I don't see any debate, unlike the last filing.

Ual mechanics got the card drive started again and presented the national with said cards.Make no mistake
the national wants to represent Ual mechanics.I am going
to do everything I can to bounce the IAM off the property
as far as the mechanics are concerned.If we want to change then we have to take a step in the right direction.Just my 2 cents.

The IAM is finished. They are about to be locked out of the boardroom. They can't make a tenative with management because they have no sway over the Mechanics and know that they will not ratify it. The company feels they hold all the cards right now and in a way they do, but there's one snag - if, and, or when the judge abrogates the contract this management team is going to try and do the Mechanics doggie style and in the end there will be no one left except those desperate enough to allow it to happen. This airline once had the absolute best maintenance crew in the industry. In the end it will have the worst.

UnitedChicago asks: What will we do? Where will we go?

We'll leave. We'll get other jobs. we'll cash out our meager 401k's if we have to, maybe sell that little cracker-box house and give up that 100 mile per day, six day a week commute.

We'll survive - you can count on that.

Wasn't it the AMFA guy who said that UAL going out of business would be good for the industry? Yeah, it's a smart idea to pay the guy who wants to see you dead...

I have collected many of cards. I have laid my rear out on the line to gain support for AMFA. As I am furloughed, nothing makes me more proud of the fact that the hard working dedicated AMFA organizers have been able to overcome the difficulty in obtaining 60+ percent cards. Many do not realize the task at hand. Well done. Count my vote for AMFA at UAL!

[blockquote]
----------------
On 3/7/2003 11:51:10 PM ual747mech wrote:

Gatemech,

I bet you were one of the folks who thought the judge was going to give us a better deal huh? Let history be your guide. Attorneys weigh their case base on precedent cases. One thing about AMFA is they have too many people like you with bad attitudes!!
----------------
[/blockquote]

A judge will do what ever he thinks will benefit the company. Since he thought that 14% temp pay cut would help that is what we got. For a judge to completely throw out a CBA is just plain union busting. UAL is asking for certain concessions. It appears they don't want to budge. So be it. Then that is what they should ask for and try to get. Not the whole thing. No reason to loose the seniority list. Without that we really loose.
ual747mech you come across as a strong UAL supporter and loyal employee. Without the seniority list you could be let go just for showing up late because of traffic. I have been around long enough to see how heartless UAL management can be.

Back to the subject at hand. I would rather not have a union. I really don't care for any of them. In the culture at UA it is a necessity!! Without a union aircraft wouldn't be safe to fly. Management would have them pushed out in any condition just to keep the numbers looking good. I know I deal with that kind of mentality everyday. I know what the IAM has done for me. NOTHING! Now I feel its time for a change. About 15 years ago an AMFA organizer asked me to sign a card. I told him to get away from me. Now I welcome AMFA. If we had them 15 years ago we would be better of today. Also don't put me with the same group of those saying full pay till the last day. It is out of our hands and the unions. Concessions will happen. 8 years is ridiculous. 1-2 with snap back is more realistic based on the airlines performance. This isn't all about saving UA. Some of this is about changing the pay scales in the industry.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 3/7/2003 8:00:50 AM ualflynhi wrote:

"AMFA is on a roll"
----------------
[/blockquote]

Good! Keep rolling them out the door because now is not the time.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 3/8/2003 1:43:38 PM gatemech wrote:

[blockquote]
----------------

For a judge to completely throw out a CBA is just plain union busting.
----------------
[/blockquote]
"I can see you are still in denial."
--------------------------------------
You also said, "This isn't all about saving UA."

I see you support Steve Macfarlane, Amfa Local 33 President, who said this, "It would be healthy for other airlines if United Airlines and US Airways go out of business."

The IAM is not about to be locked out of the boardroom. Even with the sunset provision, all they lose are their super veto rights for the most part. They still retain their seats, and votes, just that now they have a regular vote just like any other board member.

The only folks who are gonna lose board representation are the mechs, as AMFA doesn't get the IAM's seat, and you better believe that UAL isin't gonna create a new board seat for the mechs' .

Why do you think they put a 141 guy in the seat as opposed to a 141M guy? They saw the writing on the wall for a while now in my opinion.

Don't take anything I said as support for the IAM, I pretty much despise all unions, even my own.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 3/8/2003 10:00:07 PM GGpillow wrote:

..........Don't take anything I said as support for the IAM, I pretty much despise all unions, even my own.
----------------
[/blockquote]

Perhaps someday the unions will get that message and start doing what they say they do - instead of just collect dues.

DB,

LOL!!!
Thanks, the only problem is that it has a ring of truth in it!!!

Take Care,

Not to worry guys, while Sharon Levine is in court attempting to salvage our contract at the Sec. 1113 hearing, UA management and the IAM will be updating the seniority list of managers and secretaries for inclusion as eligible voters in the AMFA election.