A.M.F.A. Files for Election

[blockquote]
----------------
On 3/8/2003 10:14:32 AM ual747mech wrote:

UAL_TECH,

Read my first post and you'll understand why. I'm not opposed to the opportunity, it's the timing that I'm so damn ticked off about. Look what it did during the contract negotiation. It stalled negotiation because the nmb had to investigate the filing. Time will tell but it might have a negative impact again and we're the ones(the membership) who's gonna end up suffering, not AMFA and not the IAM.
----------------
[/blockquote]

ual747mech,
What do you think this action will have to impact 'negotiations' (if there really is any)???
Look, here is where we are today.
'WE' will have to deal with it the best we can.
If you have an opposing view, then post it.
That's what we are here for.
Personally, I do not think there is a more opportune time for AMFA than now.

Think about it!!!

In Solidarity,

A little quote from Buffy:
“You picked on the wrong union last week,â€￾ declared Tom Buffenbarger, IAM International President in a full-page ad (below) appearing in the Washington Post. “The IAM is rightfully proud of its reputation as a clean union with solid procedures to aggressively protect our "MEMBERS"
dues dollars.â€￾

Strike the word "members and insert" "the IAM'S"

Buffy you will only be representing honeytruck drivers,fuelers,and some part time rampers.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 3/8/2003 11:35:48 PM UAL_TECH wrote:

[blockquote]
----------------
ual747mech,
What do you think this action will have to impact 'negotiations' (if there really is any)???
[/blockquote]

Well, for one thing, it might influence people to vote down whatever the IAM bring back to us. Also, if you were the negotiator and the folks you're representing are trying to replace you, would you work harder? I think the IAM realizes that no matter what they do, they can't please the majority because of AMFA's influence.

Important message for IAM lapdogs and koolaid drinkers

Dear Sisters and Brothers,

Negotiations with United Airlines continued this week in Chicago, IL. United’s desire to outsource maintenance and inflict additional furloughs on our membership remains a contentious issue.

Your negotiating committee will return to Chicago next week to continue working to ensure United Airlines remains a viable employer.

It remains unclear how AMFA’s filing for a representation election will affect our negotiations, but when the raider group interfered with our negotiations in 2000 all negotiations with United Airlines screeched to a halt for six months.

Also, keep in mind that the president of AMFA’s largest and most influential local has publicly stated that the key to fixing the airline industry lies in the demise of United Airlines and US Airways. Since AMFA’s membership at Northwest Airlines will be financing the raid on our United Airlines membership, you should be aware that AMFA’s real motivation in filing a petition at this time is to benefit their Northwest members by completely destroying United airlines.

In any event, AMFA’s filing will not stop the bankruptcy process from moving forward, and the March 15th date when United will petition the court to abrogate our agreement is coming quickly.

We will keep you informed of any new developments.

Sincerely and fraternally,

District 141-M Negotiating Committee

[blockquote]
----------------
On 3/7/2003 5:45:41 PM ual747mech wrote:

I think it is irresponsible for AMFA to file right now. It will only disrupt things and there's no way they are going to stop anything right now, ie concession, or stop the judge from abrogating the contract if no agreement is reached. They were irresponsible back then in the middle of contract negotiation, stalling the process while the nmb investigated the filing.

I'm for a separate union so that there is no more conflict of interest between parties represented by the IAM. What I don't like though is AMFA's poor timing.
----------------
[/blockquote]
AMFA,is a weak union.Better do your homework before you vote them in.Teamsters got us the best deal we have had in the last 20 years.A pay raise,and back pay.Plus better work rules etc.Also you better check out thier legal power,no where near what the Teamsters have to help you in times of need.With AMFA the company can pretty much run you over like a steam roller.We used to have the IAM.Teamsters is much better.

Right,AMFA is a weak union.The mighty company union(iam)
was getting everybody they represent measly 2%,3% raises
for the duration of their respective contracts until Amfa
showed up then we got some real raises after 6 or more
years of almost no raises.Who are you trying to b.s.?
Better go back to your committee room and think of some
other excuses for the IAM's poor performance.The most militant union what a joke !

How about the IAM having management people included
in the last card drive? They were just doing us a favor
huh?How about in 1985 when the company lapdog IAM made
a deal with management to cross the pilots picket line
and come to work and get paid ?

You mean there is a worse union than the IAM who is it?

ualflyinhi,

What I don't like about AMFA is it seems like they have a lot of fanatics who support them. I'm talking about people like Dennis Sanderson, Steve MacFarlane, etc. Would you call those people professionals? Those people seems like they would go postal if they don't get things their way. I have met some AMFA officials who aren't like that but the majority of the folks at UAL who's pushing AMFA thinks that UAL is better off liquidating if they can't support industry leading pay for us. Now that's crazy!!

What I don't like about AMFA is it seems like they have a lot of fanatics who support them. I'm talking about people like Dennis Sanderson, Steve MacFarlane, etc. Would you call those people professionals? Those people seems like they would go postal if they don't get things their way. I have met some AMFA officials who aren't like that but the majority of the folks at UAL who's pushing AMFA thinks that UAL is better off liquidating if they can't support industry leading pay for us. Now that's crazy!!

I dont know Dennis,but his website gives people a chance
to voice or vent their opinion no matter how "out there"
they may be and I thank him for that.To the matter of professionalism I would judge you,Dennis or anyone else
in regards to professionalism in only one way and that
the quality of their work and concern for safe operation
of our aircraft and the lives within it.In spite of all
the rough edges some people may have should we then just
throw out the baby with the bath water and just forget the whole thing? No, I would argue that we all (mechanics) need to be unified under one roof and collectively speak with a voice that WILL be heard.Killing UAL is not in my interest and not yours.
Having said that I believe the IAM has for years been just a little to cozy with UAL from line supervisors to
upper management.This needs to cease.Really it wont do me anygood to say what I think would fix the IAM and frankly I think its to late for that.They are not what I believe to best for us as mechanics.I personally will support a change and think it will be a good thing for us.If the vote was to get another industrial union like
the TWU or some other group like that then no I would
be against it.Hopefully we can be unified as a group in
our determination to get the best representation we can
and I certainly think that inspite of some peoples opinions I dont agree with we will achieve a better
union enviroment.

As to what Steve Macfarlane said I belive he basically was saying and to some degree I also believe there is to
many seats chasing to few butts for to little money.What happens when every airline starts up a low cost carrier?
We keep giving back until we are working for the federal minimum wage?Ultimately somebody may shutdown I hope its
not UAL but theres that possibility.If every airline is doing the low cost carrier and we still cant fill the seats for 1.00 tickets none of the problems we have now
will have been fixed and those problems are overcapacity.
Is it better for all the employees of every airline to suffer a slow death or to let the free market do its thing,and the ones that are left those employees can enjoy a decent life.For me personally I am working on a exit strategy to get out of aviation forever and open
my own business.
All the givebacks are like the little dutchboy with his
finger in the dike but new leaks keep springing up.
What the companies want to do is throw out our contracts
period and get the baseball arbitration mediation signed
into law so that all of us will be working on these longer contracts.The company(ual)has no intention of sharing any wealth with anyone if times get better.I'm
tired of all the background din I have to listen to daily
at the hangar just to do a quality job on these aircraft.
If the airlines want to pay 7-11 wages fine but I wont
work here or anywhere that pays that.There is to many
other things to do to have to put up with this bull.

Latest posts