A Question For Non-employees

Sorry one more thing.

In response to Uslerker - I'm a US1 FF and I’d fly US Airways any day over Delta, Northwest or South-worst. I do sometimes think I should give up and earn elite status on another carrier. But, I’m optimistic things will finally change at US. I also have status on Northwest, but I’d rather fly US Airways. They have the best, most professional employees in the industry and the routes meet my every need.

700UW said:
You have to be kidding?

If it was not for unions you would be flying on airplanes that would be crashing all the time.

You seriousily need help.
Don't you mean:

If it weren't for the lawyers you would be flying on airplanes that would be crashing all the time?
LOL

:lol: :lol:

700UW,

Be real. I suppose the unions invented the Theory of Relativity too.

I fly planes that don't have all the safety features of an Airbus and are serviced by non-union employees - no crashes yet!!!

Both union and non-union mechanics fix the planes the same way utilizing strict standards set forth by the government.

Keep paying your dues… May I suggest www.monsterjobs.com

Go ask the relatives who were at CLT today to unvale the memorial of flight 5481 or the relatives of the victims of the ValuJet crash in the Everglades about contract maintenance.

Or maybe we should ask all the passengers of A/C 700UW who were on the 4 or more emergency landings due to shoddy work buy Foriegn owned Singapore Technoligies Mobile Aerospace who are concerned with not paying US a financial penality vs producing a safe airplane.

700UW said:
Go ask the relatives who were at CLT today to unvale the memorial of flight 5481 or the relatives of the victims of the ValuJet crash in the Everglades about contract maintenance.
Sure, no problem. I'll ask right after I get done using a fork-lift to raise an engine up to the wing to be installed. Or when I can sign off on that gimbal/jackscrew assembly.

I've seen worse, Trade. The local fixed base has the contract for our ground equipment. A few years ago, in the middle of the summer, they took our deicing rig for 'service.'

Since this outfit is not known for being johnny on the spot, we gave them about an hour, and went for a look.

They had an engine dangling from the deicing boom (rated for 350 lbs) they had just taken off a Hawker.

Then had the chutzpah to lie about it, and convinced the boss we were misrepresenting what we saw.

The story was flying, until that Kodak moment.

700UW said:
You have to be kidding?

If it was not for unions you would be flying on airplanes that would be crashing all the time.

You seriousily need help.
Unions are a means to prevent people from cutting corners in the name of safety. If the FAA actually held nonunion shops responsible and made them staff properly, the union angle would be moot.

The guy who works on the 172 that I putter around in is nonunion, and I've yet to fall from the sky. The guys who do everything but the heavy checks on our company Lears are nonunion, and have been for 20 years. Yet to have fallen from the sky.

In both examples, they are not under undue pressure to turn the planes around in a quick (but perhaps unsafe manner).

"The guy who works on the 172 that I putter around in is nonunion, and I've yet to fall from the sky. The guys who do everything but the heavy checks on our company Lears are nonunion, and have been for 20 years. Yet to have fallen from the sky."

A GA shop and a HEAVY shop are way different places. Trust me.

As an industry observer, I think the employees of US Airways should:

1. Demand that "the plan" (if there is one) be presented directly to the rank and file so that everyone could make a personal judgement on validity.

2. Ask for the removal of all senior management that has ever worked for a "legacy carrier".
These managers may have experience in operating an airline, but they will never think more than 3 inches either way "outside of the box" because they don't know anything different. Why do you think WN hires only from within for upper management positions? They don't want legacy managers to posion the pot.

3. Question current practices, both mangement and union employees. Go to your supervisor or manager and have a dialogue about ideas that can work. It is the job of a good supervisor or manager to communicate ideas to their superiors and you will lose nothing by doing so.

4. Honestly evaluate before making a quick judgement. Take a breath and look at the big picutre before making comments or decisions that could affect your future and that of your co-workers.

5. Show up for work every day and do your job to the best of your ability, and then raise your productivity by an additional 10%. Help your co-workers and others without being asked.
It's time to forget the "fat and happy" days of the past. Productibity needs to increase across the board. Thew majority of the people who work for US Airways have a common goal of running and growing the airline because it ensures long term employment. Remember that.

Comment: If I were in the shoes of the union employees at US Airways, I would also have serious doubts about the credibility of Dave x 2. They will eventually receive their just desserts for their actions, but the time is now to look to the future and let corrections happen in due time.

Just my opinions as an industry observer.

djlndc said:
However, today we live in a different time. In my opinion, unions have outlived their usefulness. We have the US Dept. of Labor and 50 other State labor organizations that protect the rights of employees.
Let's see...that would be the same US Dept. of Labor that was just caught advising employers in creative ways to use the upcoming overtime rule "improvements" to basically screw employees out of overtime pay, wouldn't it?

Yeah, it's comforting to know that they're out there protecting my rights... <_<

djlndc said:
Get rid of the Unions.

I can’t understand why you would be apart of an organization that scares you into believing that unless you join the union, management will take advantage of you.
well guy,for one thing belonging here at U is a job requirement...no join union ,no workey here.

Latest posts