A reminder of the real world

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ever want to tell the crew members.........
upload_2017-5-14_7-46-25.jpeg

Neither. I served on the U.S.S. Bon Homme Richard, CVA-31, in VF-191, which flew F-8E's at the time.

Roger....Figured it was worth an ask and thanks again for your Service. True Confessions time: It was my Dad's sage words while taking me on a Dependents Day outing on USS Midway that tied me to the USAF: "Son; you want a runway that's at least 6,000 feet long, doesn't pitch and roll in weather, can't be sunk by enemy action, is exactly where you left it when you launched...and might even offer a cold one and the company of local lovelies on your return"... ;)

Given that, well, I'll go to my grave a sad creature, USAF "eunuch" that never did carrier ops...which strangely does bug me somehow. Go figure.

Last edited:
Reactions: xUT and Insp4
East, we had a USAF Capt. flying one of our F-8's in our Squadron. He was part of a pilot exchange program at the time. I asked him how he liked landing on a carrier? His reply was " Hell! It's more like a controlled crash!"
vf-191.jpg

Last edited:
East, we had a USAF Capt. flying one of our F-8's in our Squadron. He was part of a pilot exchange program at the time. I asked him how he liked landing on a carrier? His reply was " Hell! It's more like a controlled crash!"
vf-191.jpg

"Hell! It's more like a controlled crash!" Yeah...but considering the truly essential basics of Aviation = "Cheap Thrills/High Velocity/All Glory/No Work, Money-for-Nothing and Chicks for Free"...well, carrier ops pretty much takes it, save for the "No Work" and "Chicks for Free" parts. NO way I wanted to actually live on a carrier though. My "Plays Well With Others" marks for continuously forced interaction with thousands of fellow inmates in essentially a floating prison simply would NOT have played out well I'm afraid. From "The Book of Eastwood: A man must know his limitations" and one simply must have personal "standards" for life you understand...I kinda' "suspect" my late Dad fully knew that arrogant "little prince" part of me when nudging me sharply towards the USAF, presumably in hopes I might actually be of some use there. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: xUT and Insp4
Sometimes the real world sucks...

Sometimes life is hard. Today was one of the hardest days of my life. The photo below is of the most perfect animal to ever set foot on the face of this earth. She is my dog, Ziggy. She has liver cancer and is dying. But she is a pleaser. That picture was taken two days ago. In that picture she had not eaten anything in two days. She quit eating dry dog food two weeks ago. She kind of ate canned dog for about 2 days after that and gave it up. She's subsisted on hard boiled eggs for the next week. She is shutting down. She is dying. But she is a pleaser. She does not want me to know that she's in pain. And that makes the decision I have to make all that much harder.

But I came home for lunch today and she kind of let me see. She was kind of listless. I laid down beside her to talk, but as I spoke to her, I broke into tears. And she stood up to stop me....to please me. This dog has been my loyal friend for the past 11 years. Of the dogs that have been in my household, this one has always been MY dog. It's so hard because she has an amazing capacity to please. The vet is about a mile from my house. She loves walks. If she's up to it, we're going to walk that last mile together. And I'll let her go. But I'll never forget her.

When I got back to work today I had iTunes on my computer, playing a light jazz mix. A song came on from Lee Ritenour that was an instrumental mix of a Jackson 5 song. I dedicate it to my dog

I never can say goodbye, no, no, no, no, now
Never can say goodbye

Even though the pain and heartache
Seem to follow me wherever I go
Though I try and try to hide my feelings
They always seem to show

Then you try to say you're leaving
me And I always have to say no
Tell me why is it so

That I never can say goodbye, no, no, no, no, now
Never can say goodbye

Every time I think I've had enough
And start heading for the door
There's a very strange vibration
Piercing me right through the core
It says, turn around, you fool
You know you love her more and more
Tell me why is it so

Don't wanna let you go
I never can say goodbye girl
Ooh ooh baby (don't wanna let you go girl)
I never can say goodbye, no no no, no no no
Ooh, oh I never can say goodbye girl
Ooh ooh…

I love you forever Zigs...

6aZFthN.jpg

So sorry for your loss.
My BABY schnauzer died last month at 14
I feel you KC, unconditional love.
Yea, i shed a tear thinking of Smokey (my baby) when i saw this post.
Take Care
-----------------------
edited by Me
-----------------------
Here is a pic of my babies.
View attachment 11711
Sunny died Feb 2016 Smokey died April 2017.
Smokey is on the left.
I still shed a tear when I think of them.
View attachment 11710

The one on the right is Zoe. I lost her on May 9, 2015. Very similar story. She was rescued by me 11 years earlier after being found near death on the side of the road and dropped off at the shelter. I know exactly how you feel. The pain doesn't lessen, I just feel it less often.

I hope you find peace knowing that you enjoyed an amazing run together.

All of your dogs are beautiful and much loved and I share in your sorrow. I've had dogs all of
my life and losing them doesn't get any easier. They are all special and we love them and
they hold a special place in our family, as does each of your dogs. My first dog, that I grew up with,
lived to be 16. As you said xUT, they offer us unconditional love... and I'll always miss mine too.

Last edited:
All of your dogs are beautiful and much loved and I share in your sorrow. I've had dogs all of
my life and losing them doesn't get any easier. They are all special and we love them and
they hold a special place in our family, as does each of your dogs. My first dog, that I grew up with,
lived to be 16. As you said xUT, they offer us unconditional love... and I'll always miss mine too.

Thanks for the Love Sharon!
xUT

I was going park put this in the humor column, but then again........ Naa!!!!

View attachment 11710

The one on the right is Zoe. I lost her on May 9, 2015. Very similar story. She was rescued by me 11 years earlier after being found near death on the side of the road and dropped off at the shelter. I know exactly how you feel. The pain doesn't lessen, I just feel it less often.
I hope you find peace knowing that you enjoyed an amazing run together.

Sometimes the real world sucks...

Sometimes life is hard. Today was one of the hardest days of my life. The photo below is of the most perfect animal to ever set foot on the face of this earth. She is my dog, Ziggy. She has liver cancer and is dying. But she is a pleaser. That picture was taken two days ago. In that picture she had not eaten anything in two days. She quit eating dry dog food two weeks ago. She kind of ate canned dog for about 2 days after that and gave it up. She's subsisted on hard boiled eggs for the next week. She is shutting down. She is dying. But she is a pleaser. She does not want me to know that she's in pain. And that makes the decision I have to make all that much harder.

But I came home for lunch today and she kind of let me see. She was kind of listless. I laid down beside her to talk, but as I spoke to her, I broke into tears. And she stood up to stop me....to please me. This dog has been my loyal friend for the past 11 years. Of the dogs that have been in my household, this one has always been MY dog. It's so hard because she has an amazing capacity to please. The vet is about a mile from my house. She loves walks. If she's up to it, we're going to walk that last mile together. And I'll let her go. But I'll never forget her.

When I got back to work today I had iTunes on my computer, playing a light jazz mix. A song came on from Lee Ritenour that was an instrumental mix of a Jackson 5 song. I dedicate it to my dog

I never can say goodbye, no, no, no, no, now
Never can say goodbye

Even though the pain and heartache
Seem to follow me wherever I go
Though I try and try to hide my feelings
They always seem to show

Then you try to say you're leaving
me And I always have to say no
Tell me why is it so

That I never can say goodbye, no, no, no, no, now
Never can say goodbye

Every time I think I've had enough
And start heading for the door
There's a very strange vibration
Piercing me right through the core
It says, turn around, you fool
You know you love her more and more
Tell me why is it so

Don't wanna let you go
I never can say goodbye girl
Ooh ooh baby (don't wanna let you go girl)
I never can say goodbye, no no no, no no no
Ooh, oh I never can say goodbye girl
Ooh ooh…

I love you forever Zigs...

6aZFthN.jpg

So sorry for your loss.
My BABY schnauzer died last month at 14
I feel you KC, unconditional love.
Yea, i shed a tear thinking of Smokey (my baby) when i saw this post.
Take Care
-----------------------
edited by Me
-----------------------
Here is a pic of my babies.
View attachment 11711
Sunny died Feb 2016 Smokey died April 2017.
Smokey is on the left.
I still shed a tear when I think of them.

Sadly, the real world stopped here as well, yesterday. Last three months have been like a roller coaster. It's something, the lengths you'll go to try and change fate. Brandie was 8 1/2 yrs. Chased cars and ATV"s, treed a couple bears,chased deer, tangled with a porcupine, once, loved to play toss the ball. What a character.....loved to travel too. The Traveldog. She is sadly missed.
P8310023.JPG

Sadly, the real world stopped here as well, yesterday. Last three months have been like a roller coaster. It's something, the lengths you'll go to try and change fate. Brandie was 8 1/2 yrs. Chased cars and ATV"s, treed a couple bears,chased deer, tangled with a porcupine, once, loved to play toss the ball. What a character.....loved to travel too. The Traveldog. She is sadly missed.
View attachment 11786
Sorry for your loss. It is a pain like no other.

View attachment 11786
Hey Dude,
My sympathy and Love is with you!
I know you have been struggling to get her better.
Sometimes there is nothing us mortals can do.
Take Care,
Huggs,
:cool: Xut

Going to the cabin soon......that's where she had free reign. Had to keep her tethered at home, unfortunately.....Cabin will be where her spirit lies....and many memories.

Thank you all for your support during this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts