A321 Business Class?

There are in fact TWO T's flying on the JFK-BOS-JFK route.  (The rest are 99-seat Embraers.)  What's weird is the first T is a turn (same flight number to/from BOS--flight 1039).  The other is not (flight 199 to BOS; flight 198 back to JFK).  None of these flight numbers appear on the JFK-SFO route; so there are no through flights flying BOS-JFK-SFO.  The plane may continue to SFO, but that is coincidental.  Every airplane continues on to somewhere--or at least we hope it does.

Evidently, the vow that the T's would never be used on anything other than transcons has been broken.  Somebody just didn't like inactive T's sitting at the gate or on the pad not earning any money.

jimntx said:
Evidently, the vow that the T's would never be used on anything other than transcons has been broken.  Somebody just didn't like inactive T's sitting at the gate or on the pad not earning any money.

I think you've nailed it.  Utilization, plus the fact that loads aren't normally heavy enough to require the 160 seat 737 that was previously used.

MK

I can hardly wait until they are used on JFK-MCO.  Wonder what the reaction of the transcon passengers will be when they find the loose Cheerios under the seat or in the seatback pocket where they are invisible to the contract cleaners.

jimntx said:
I doubt it's a glitch.   It happens more often that just occasionally.  Certain flights on certain routes get some F/C inventory coded as Business every flight--even on S80's.  It's bound to be a marketing ploy of some sort.

Whatever it is, it makes no sense. I juts looked up some random markets. BOS CLT and BOS DFW. Three flights show the business availability but there is no business fare. F shows full but the two business seats are never sold. Why would you inhibit F?  How would you as a f/a know which two seats are a lesser fare?   So many problems would arise. I also found a 77W on a non international route. They don't show the business seats in the F inventory, they show as coach. How are those seats assigned? I doubt you could self assign any of those seats. Must create a mess at the airport for the customer service people! 

77W seats would be and always have been at AA sold as coach when the plane is sold as 2 class. The seats are available as an upgraded seat, like MCE. Free to elites and an up sell to the regular folk. However, these seats are sold as B/C on a route like LAX-MIA on the 77W. As it is sold as a 3 class flight. The F/C seats that are pulled and relabeled as B/C and seems to really bother you for some reason are regular F/C seats that receive no difference in service. Coming from an airline like USAir I see that you are totally confused about the process of selling seats when you have 3 classes of service. I.E. a real F/C product. In the real world, people buy B/C seats and they sometimes need to make a connection onto those flights. When that happens, their B/C ticket is booked into B/C on said connection. Which then shows as taking inventory from the F/C cabin that is designated B/C. Not really sure why it gets your knickers in such a twist, but that is the reason. It's called making additional revenue. It isn't confusing and I've never encountered any of your rumored "problems" or customer service "mess" that you are sure that happens. The response that the seats " are never sold" is ridiculous and wrong. Revenue management changes the offering all the time to maximize the revenue potential. Do you really think AA is not going to sell a domestic F/C seat to someone because they have the inventory coded as B/C? They will sell the seat to anyone willing to buy it.

And, as I said earlier there is no difference in service or amenities if someone is occupying the seat as a B/C or a F/C passenger.  I certainly neither know nor care the revenue basis of your seat.  As long as the gate agent has assigned you the seat and it shows on the paperwork that you are assigned to seat 4A, I'm happy.  To me you're just another F/C passenger.  If you were booked in coach the paperwork will show you as an upgrade, but here again, I don't care.  The agent who controls that inventory until the forward door closes makes the decision, not me.  I just need to know that you were assigned the seat.

Reactions: 2 people