A330 to CUN

Yes, but it does not address the problem and likely only worsens it.

Yes, but it does not address the problem and likely only worsens it.

I'm not here to defend their current system, but I will point out that Mexico just works that way. It doesn't really matter if you're a local or an outsider. Need a building permit processed? You better have some spare bills to grease some palms. Need to handle a speeding ticket? Bring on the small bills.

Looking to rezone an area you'd like to build on? Gonna need some serious bills for lots of different folks.

It just works that way there. It's always been that way, and it's become an expected, cultural norm. Some Mexican nationals wring their hands about it, but just as many see it as being a reasonably balanced system. Here's why: the local and national government employees (and this includes police officers) are woefully underpaid. It's simply expected that many of them can each supplement their incomes with bribes and palm greasing. Some citizens see that as alright since if the bribe system were to go away, then the wages would need to creep up ... meaning higher taxes, etc, etc, etc.

So, one needs to have some grasp of knowing that's simply how it works in much of Mexico.

It's akin to a Japanese traveller visiting the USA and being annoyed at the ridiculous system of tipping bellmen and wait staff over here. Why do we give the barman a dollar every time he brings us a bottle of beer? Why tip the doorman when all he did was get your bags out of the taxi's trunk?

If it was solely a domestic Mexican matter regarding solely on how things occur their between Mexicans I probably couldn't care less. However they want our tourist dollars and our businesses to do business with them. Isn't generally our cultural norm to negotiate contracts that spell out all the terms and conditions and not have some gotchas that occur both after the fact and outside of what was negotiated?

The tourist areas of Mexico are largely dependent on American tourists, with some Europeans that also travel there. My point is how long would those tourist areas survive and provide jobs for Mexicans if fewer Americans traveled there? As it is discretionary spending is down anyway and paying for graft, bribes or whatever you want to call the practice isn't something we should tolerate or condone.

Assuming that you are correct I wonder what would happen if a few airlines dropped a few flights to send the Mexican government a message that corruption cannot exist if they want travelers to come spend their money in Mexican resorts. At the end of the day the Mexicans need us more than we need them and the sooner they clean up their mess the better.

(BTW, for the record, I like Mexico. But the corruption needs to be addressed and sooner is better than later.)
The Mexican gov't is getting like the US Gov't, corrupt!

If it was solely a domestic Mexican matter regarding solely on how things occur their between Mexicans I probably couldn't care less. However they want our tourist dollars and our businesses to do business with them. Isn't generally our cultural norm to negotiate contracts that spell out all the terms and conditions and not have some gotchas that occur both after the fact and outside of what was negotiated?

The tourist areas of Mexico are largely dependent on American tourists, with some Europeans that also travel there. My point is how long would those tourist areas survive and provide jobs for Mexicans if fewer Americans traveled there? As it is discretionary spending is down anyway and paying for graft, bribes or whatever you want to call the practice isn't something we should tolerate or condone.
Righteous, brother, amen. But the sad fact is that gringos love Cancun, and will go no matter what. If US don't take 'em there, someone else will. Just like Cuba - If the guvment said US carriers could serve Havanna, they would all be there in a heartbeat, no matter which Castro communist leader is pulling the strings.
Global economy, global rules - which may or may not sit well with the righteous brothers in the good 'ole USA.
Cheers.

All I know is they better fix it and soon because I am really sick of dealing with the downsize!!!!! If you know you now cant fly the 330 do not not not sell it as a 330....we already have the police on standby for the SJU downsize that seems to happen on a regular basis like today from a 330 300 to a 330 200 oversold by 45 do they know its