Aa And Apfa Settle Ovl Grievance

L1011Ret

Veteran
Oct 31, 2002
AA and APFA have settled a significant grievance brought by the TWA F/As furloughed in April and May. APFA did not want to process this grievance but it was pushed by S. Cooper. Nearly 600 F/As, ALL TWA, will share in a significant monetary award. Hopefully the first of several victories for the TWA F/As.

The grievance was over AA's failure to offer OVLs system wide for those about to be furloughed in April and May. More later.b

L1011Ret said:
The grievance was over AA's failure to offer OVLs system wide for those about to be furloughed in April and May. More later.b
I can't believe that was awarded. In the contract if you're subject to furlough (all TWA f/a's were subject to furlough) you can't bid for an OVL.

Correct, subject to furlough cannot bid OVL. However, before furlough AA must offer OVLs to everyone to mitigate furloughs. They failed to abide by the contract.

wrx said:
I can't believe that was awarded. In the contract if you're subject to furlough (all TWA f/a's were subject to furlough) you can't bid for an OVL.
You are correct, but that was not the issue at hand.

By contract, AA must offer OVL before furloughing anyone.

The company refused to offer OVL on the AA side of the fence in order to mitigate the number of layoffs on the TWA LLC side. There was a substantial number, on the greener side of the fence, who would have proffered for OVL, given the chance. Had OVL been offered on the AA side, fewer STL and SLT based flight attendants would have lost their jobs in April and May.

It would appear as if some of the more senior TWAers who were put out on the street in those two RIF rounds will be getting some back pay.

Good on the STL people for pushing this. There have been people furloughed on the AA side over the past two years for the exact same issue. They were low on the seniority pole, but had the bad luck to be domiciled at a base that "had no overage" therefore overage leaves were not offered in that base.

As much as scheduling loves to deadhead DFW people to Miami to cover Miami trips while deadheading MIA people to DFW to cover DFW trips, or ever screwier assignments, I'm sure they could have figured out a way to cover any shortages that might have resulted from offering OVLs system-wide, not just in the base(s) with the overage.

The bottom line to this whole deal is; Don Carty, Jane Allen and John Ward didn't want any TWA people to remain on the property! I know I hit this dead on and so does everyone else.

John Ward must go!!!!!!!! http://www.newapfa.org