Amended Complaint Be Aa F/as.

L1011Ret

Veteran
Oct 31, 2002
Some Highlights from the amended complaint filed by AA f/as. Note these are charges not yet substantiated. If you thought APFA was sleazy before the RA, you should really read the amended complaint. It will curl your hair?

The RA (restructuring agreement) is invalid because the process used to accept the RA did not follow APFA procedures.

The deadline for balloting was April 15.

The intention of the RA was that it was to be only temporary.

During the whole balloting process, APFA and were kept informed of the yes and no votes in the ?secret? balloting process.

On April 11 Union president JW was worried that the ?secret? ballot would fail and put out a hotline that members can change their vote despite the fact there was no precedent for doing so.

APFA never told the members whether it had the authority to re-ballot disregarding the results of the original ballot.

APFA had already determined the outcome from the ?secret? ballot and so decided it would take the necessary steps to see that the outcome it desired was obtained.

On April 14, APFA announces a new provision in the RA to reopen negotiations in January 07 for a new contract. This was designed to swing votes to the yes side since APFA knew where the balloting votes stood.

APFA and AA plotted to change the outcome at every stage in the balloting because APFA knew exactly the number of yes and no votes for the ?secret? ballot.

APFA knew the RA would be turned down so asked AA to extend the balloting. AA believed this would not change the results so AA decided to press for yes votes.

AA arranged to make calls to f/as that if they did not vote yes, it would mean bankruptcy and mean that AA would have to return to the bargaining table at a decided disadvantage.

AA and APFA had a common plan to see the RA was accepted.

AA holds meetings with f/as at airports specifically targeted at f/as that had not voted in the ?secret? ballot.

AA with the acquiescence of APFA led f/as to believe that reprisals would be taken against no voters.

On April 15th APFA announced a ?no? result.

AA and APFA consult about extending the vote to April 16.

The APFA BOD decides to allow votes to be changed but only after consulting AA.

The essence was that the re-balloting became an entirely new ballot.

1262 more voters cast ballots in the ?new? balloting largely as the result of pressure from AA and APFA.

AA provides $monies for f/as overseas to call in votes, essentially a gratuity to f/as to change their vote.

AA and APFA stired up a coordinated one day frenzy over the voting to ensure a yes vote.

From the original balloting, 190 who voted no changed to yes. Voters who voted yes in the original voting and changed to no in the second ballot found their votes were not being counted.

Of the 1262 new votes, every last one was a ?no? vote. (mind boggling statistical improbability)

On April 17 it is revealed that AA executives had hefty perks. AA says APFA was aware of this but APFA denies it. Carty resigns.

Wards sends AA a letter he is going to re-ballot. April 22nd APFA BOD approves re-balloting.

During this time APFA is in negotiations with AA to sweeten the pot so APFA can justify shooting down the third ballot.

AA sweetens the pot.

APFA withdraws its request to AA for a new ballot.

It is revealed that the National Ballot Committee passed on to APFA and AA results of the balloting as it went along thus the committee became a tool for AA and APFA to manipulate the balloting.

APFA breached it?s of fair representation to the membership.

Remedies:
Set aside the RA and award back pay and bennies.
Award $75000 per f/a but not less than $200 million
AA and APFA are jointly liable
Count 22 is the RICO count saying the actions of AA are so egregious and outrageous that f/as should be awarded $300 million plus furloughees be reinstated.

If even half is true, forget the monetary damages, some people should go to jail. However, my first prognostication for the New Year...

The current venue is company-friendly. A way will be found to nullify the charges. "Oh, these are terrible things and the proof is there, but...I'm so very sorry, the statute of limitations has expired/you used the term RA before you defined it/there is a mispelled word in the third paragraph/whatever."

No, there's not a cynical bone in my body. Why ever would you even ask?

L1011,
Do you know when this comes up before the courts? I flew with a f/a who's name appears on this complaint a few months ago but haven't heard anything since.

Everything written in the complaint is exactly as I remember it going down. AA and APFA will most likely lose, eventually. It could take years and years.

The most the FA's can hope for, as I am told the plaintiffs have been told, is that we will go back to the negotiations process. We will probably not bounce back to old wages while they renegotiate.

AA, I do not know how much discovery has been done. The complaint filing date was mid July, so my guess is that at mid-year 2005 they would be approaching trial. I agree with Sky, thinking it will not go to trial. AA does not want this case tried before a jury, neither does APFA. On the other hand, if the evidence is scrimpy, maybe they would risk trial.

William, read the amended complaint filed on Dec. 1st. This is an amendment to the document filed last July. All of the defendants are now named in the RICO charges...that means all of the defendants including AMR, not just John Ward, have racketeering charges brought against them.
Also, when you read this latest document I think you will be surprised. Quite a bit is layed out in the charges. The evidence is overwhelming; definitely not skimpy.

Sky, I do not know how skimpy the evidence is, as charges are charges. I gather what comes out in discovery will be important. It is my belief that good lawyers do not make charges unless there is a reasonable chance of their being valid. The case would not be this far along unless there was merit to some of the charges. It is also reported that THB is talking about this on her base visits in ways that suggest to the members she is very worried. Whatever the case, another great injustice occurred as a result of the actions of Carty & Co along with APFA. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that the way the RA was processed was perceived by most to be an egregarious violation of the RLA, LMDA and APFA consititution not to mention huge ethical lapses.

This set of numbered paragraphs is from the amended AA F/A complaint Count 22, the RICO charge. I do not know if this charge will survive, but it shows a pattern of corrupt practices at APFA from the first to the fourth Implementing Schemes. This scheme involves the TWA F/As. I would urge EVERY APFA member to download and read all 4 sections of the amended complaint.

The Third. Implementing Scheme:
455. Concerned that the life of the Restructuring Agreement would continue only so long as those in the Union who helped put it in place remained in power, defendants agreed that it was in the best interests of the enterprise for the Ward regime to remain in office.
456. APFA and Ward thereupon devised a plan intended to ensure the continuation of the Ward regime and to further the enterprise's goals.
457. Such plan was characterized by the same type of deception and vote manipulation as had characterized the earlier schemes.
458. Thus, candidate Ward attempted to scare 85% of the electorate into believing that, if his challenger won, she would subordinate their seniority rights to the other 15% of the electorate. The portion of the electorate John Ward attempted to scare into supporting him (i.e., "the 85%") were the so-called "native" flight attendants. The portion he portrayed as the predators (i.e., "the 15%") were the former TWA flight attendants.
459. APFA, in the meantime, was working on a parallel track. It devised a strategy to prevent many TWA attendants from voting. It knew that if it succeeded in this venture, it increased Ward's chances of winning.
473. APFA announced the victor according to that count - John Ward by a margin of five (5) votes.
474. When it announced the purported results, APFA knew such "results" to be false. 480. On March 18, 2004, Sherry Cooper wrote to then-APFA Treasurer Juan Johnson to request the three STL Dues Arrears Lists that had been used to determine voter eligibility in three elections: (1) the April 2003 vote on whether to ratify the RPA; (2) the January 29, 2004 national officers' election; and (3) the March 12, 2004 run-off.
481. On information and belief, in response, instead of providing the information that had been requested, APFA provided the STL Dues Arrears List for March 22, 2004.
482. Even without information from the relevant time frame, Ms. Cooper was able to deduce several things: (2) that either 130 or 131 members from her Base had been deemed ineligible' to vote and their votes not counted; (2) that this was a far greater number of disqualifications than at any other base (in fact the number of STL disqualifications represented 11.67 times the average number of disqualifications at all other bases) ; and (3) that many of those deemed ineligible at STL could not legitimately be said to actually be in "dues arrears."
487. Based on her conclusions, on March 24, 2004, Cooper formally protested the results of the run-off election on behalf o£ the 131 unnamed members from her Base whose votes had not been counted.
488. APFA rejected the protest on the grounds that the Base Chair and her members were not "candidates" and therefore did not have standing to complain.
489. As APFA well knew, when it issued this rejection, its grounds for rejection were invalid. Members of a union have as much of a right under federal labor law as candidates to protest the conduct of an election. That law governs the union in question.
490. Although the Presidential candidate who was said to have been defeated in this election herself soon filed a protest, APFA did not ultimately act on either protest.
491. On information and belief, the reason for its failing to act on the second protest was that it could not muster a quorum. Fearful that they would have no alternative but to count the STL votes i£ they showed up, several members of the APFA Executive Committee simply failed to appear for meetings. 492. These Executive Committee members were also members and supporters of the Ward regime. 502. Based on its findings, the Department of Labor advised APFA that it "should immediately install candidate Tommie Hutto- Blake to the position of APFA president" and that her voluntary installation "for the remainder of the term will remedy the violations of Section 401(e) that occurred during the runoff election."
505. The fact that it took AFPA nearly six months to acknowledge the true vote count, however -- and that it only did so after an official threat of "enforcement proceedings" -- underscores just how committed the leadership of the Union was to the vote fraud they had perpetrated.
534. Pursuant to 18 U.S.C. §§ 1962 © and/or (d), the plaintiff class is entitled to recover treble damages in an amount to be determined at trial, but in no event less than Nine Hundred Million ($900,000,000) Dollars (inclusive of trebling), plus all costs, expenses, and attorneys' fees incurred in connection with this action.

Saveapfa.builderspot.com Look in the column under documents, download the last four which comprise the whole complaint. I hope you have a DSL or cable connection, these are large files. If not, be prepared to wait, especially the first file which is very big. Its an eye-opener. Give a good read to charge 22, the RICO charge. You have to wonder how the JW and the APFA BOD got themselves in such a pickle. APFA is referred to as the "enterprise" in the latter document. Not Star ship enterprise!!! Enjoy and/or cry...

All I have to say is that I hope Justice will prevail on this one...What goes around comes around.

What Unity?

Flyboy4u writes:
All I have to say is that I hope Justice will prevail on this one...What goes around comes around.

I write: I couldn't agree more. The whole deal makes rotten fish smell good. I was against the whole thing as it went down, and I'm more convinced than ever that there was widespread malfeasance...all made possible by the joint efforts of AA management and the Ward administration.

Art Tang
IMA

This lawsuit will happen. I know Jim is skeptical, but at least one plaintiff will prevail because
* all internal remedies were exhausted
* everything was filed on time
* at least one plaintiff filed in the correct court

I'm hoping that we will be in court by this time next year.

Also, remember that a charge cannot be made without some evidence to prove that charge...so there is evidence to support all of those charges already.

Recently APFA and AMR filed motions to dismiss. These documents can be found at

http://www.SaveAPFA.builderspot.com

Those motions to dismiss are just part of the process and were expected.

Latest posts