AA Dispatchers Show Support

Bogey

Senior
Dec 11, 2011
As many of you may know, the TWU International filed a civil lawsuit against the former board members of Local 542 late last year. This lawsuit is still ongoing and the international is using the Local 542 treasury to pay the attorney fees. The members are not pleased that the international is using their dues money to persue a lawsuit that they don't want.

In a show of support of the former board members, the dispatchers started a fundraiser and so far have raised over 28,000 dollars to help pay their attorney fees. What a great showing of solidarity.

So, let me get this straight, the dispatchers, have to take money out of their own pockets, to pay legal fees, to fight off their own union, which is taking legal action against them, using their dues money?

Wow, how twisted is this weave?

May I ask, who is the lawyer?

Well yes, the former board is still paying dues, so their dues are being used to sue them. The dispatchers didn't "have" to donate, they just did.

Which side lawyer are you asking about?

Why don't you tell the whole story about how those officers spent dues money to buy votes with gift cards and other items when the membership never approved it and those officers were removed from office as they were trying to fund the new union they tried to form with TWU dues money?

700, first, being accused of something doesn't mean you did it. If you would like to think them guilty, that's your right. The court will determine if they did something wrong. I did tell the whole story last year. I didn't think I needed to tell it again. If I did I would have to mention that you claimed the DOL would take action under the LMRDA and it would be bad. Well, the DOL did audit the local and didn't find any illegal activity. That is why it just comes down to a civil case of the TWU against the former board. And while true, the membership didn't vote on this, everyone of them took the gift card, spent it, and never complained about it.

Now I didn't come here to argue with you about them being guilty or not, just pointing out how the dispatchers got together, because they wanted too, and raised the money. Can't you just leave it at that?

I'm wondering, who is the lawyer representing the "people" that collected the money ?  I really don't need to know, but am curious if its Seeham.

There seems to be an issue with how the "autonomy" concept is applied in the TWU. The term and concept appears to be inconsisitently applied. When there is a lack of clear leadership and principles other people will step in to fill that void. Regardless of whether or not we like the local's leadership, if there is true autonomy within the TWU locals we have to live with it. Don't like it? Run your own ticket to change it. As long as no laws, rules, or regulations are broken this is how autonomy works in the truest sense. As far as buying gift cards or other trinkets, locals do that all the time and as far as I know there is no guidelines on what the membership approves? If the board was derelict in their fiduciary responsibilities they should be taken out.

Is there a link to the lawsuit?

My understanding is that even after they gave out gift cards, there was still twice the money in the treasury of any other local of its size.

Not aware of any link.

DallasConehead said:
So, let me get this straight, the dispatchers, have to take money out of their own pockets, to pay legal fees, to fight off their own union, which is taking legal action against them, using their dues money?

Wow, how twisted is this weave?

May I ask, who is the lawyer?
A prime example of what organized labor needs to fix, and these dispatchers are showing us the way.

Well done.

Latest posts

Back