Machinists Union Agrees To $151,000 Penalty

jetmechline

Aug 22, 2002
Machinists Union Agrees To $151,000 Penalty
10/25/2005 2:02:08 PM

The Federal Election Commission (FEC) today announced a conciliation agreement (MUR 5386) with the International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers (IAMAW) District Lodges 141, 141-M and 142, Local Lodge 1487, IAMAW’s PAC (MNPL) and the PAC’s treasurer, in which they agreed to pay a $151,000 civil penalty for violating the Federal Election Campaign Act (the Act) by using union treasury funds to reimburse union member contributions to IAMAW’s PAC.

Between 2000 and 2003, IAMAW District Lodges 141, 141-M and 142 and Local Lodge 1487 held at least twenty conventions and conferences in which delegates voted, according to longstanding practice, to donate their registration fees to IAMAW’s PAC, MNPL. Many delegates from these lodges were reimbursed out of union treasury funds for their registration fees. Additionally, IAMAW officers and MNPL representatives at each district and local lodge were aware that registrations fees were being contributed to MNPL.

The Act prohibits unions from making contributions or expenditures from their general treasury funds in connection with any election of any candidate for federal office. Under the Act, it is illegal to reimburse any person for their contributions to any federal political committee. Therefore, a union may not reimburse its members, directly or indirectly, for any contributions they make to a political committee.

HAY 7 you going to pay back your part?
:up:
The Federal Election Commission (FEC) today announced a conciliation agreement (MUR 5386) with the International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers (IAMAW) District Lodges 141, 141-M and 142, Local Lodge 1487, IAMAW’s PAC (MNPL) and the PAC’s treasurer, in which they agreed to pay a $151,000 civil penalty for violating the Federal Election Campaign Act (the Act) by using union treasury funds to reimburse union member contributions to IAMAW’s PAC.

Your UNION Dollars at work. . . . . :up:

Why dont we talk about Ron Carey or how the government took control of the IBT for years because of mafia corruption?

Ron Carey was not long ago.

Your being a bit over dramtic again Bob.

There was no financial gain by the IAM.

Because it was like 300 years ago. IBT is no bunch of Boy Scouts but I'd be REAL careful on both sides before I pulled a rock outta my pocket. Corruption didn't begin with unions and it won't end with unions either.

Financial gain at the expense of another is what's at hand. IAM & IBT are no different than US & NWA in that they seek advantage at the others expense and in the end the average guy takes it in the shorts.
Ron Carey was not long ago....like 8-10 years ago I think?....and, it seemed, in the beginning was making a diference...did he not help to get rid of the "old guard"...? He knew IBT needed cleaning out/up....

Maybe if they would have contributed a little less money to the politicians and spent a little more on attorneys their members wouldn't have gotten so screwed at U.

I disagree. I think the majority of the strength is expelled on battles, where it does little good for the cause. The contributions to political support are part of the real war for American workers. Granted, locals do not fight the big wars, but as long as I have been involved with unions, I can state that they (the locals), show a trend of fighting for the small insignificant issues and lose the big ones.
Well this could get broken down way too much and argued in many ways, so I will just repeat what I mean.
The unions are fighting small battles, while corporate America is beating them in the war against their cause, IMO.

I fail to see where any of this is earth shattering news.

I have always been told that a certain percentage of our Union dues went towards political actions.

I have in fact known a couple of IAM Members whom filled to be "Dues Objectors" to avoid having this portion of their dues not taken from their check twice a month.

One person I knew , whom is now retired , actually sued the Company and the IAM for refusing to pay dues based on where and how some of that money was being used. The person involved , was terminated at one point...but was reinstated with a nice settlement coming along with it. He did however lose his voting rights within the IAM in the aftermath.

Because it was like 300 years ago. IBT is no bunch of Boy Scouts but I'd be REAL careful on both sides before I pulled a rock outta my pocket. Corruption didn't begin with unions and it won't end with unions either.

Financial gain at the expense of another is what's at hand. IAM & IBT are no different than US & NWA in that they seek advantage at the others expense and in the end the average guy takes it in the shorts.
Excellant Post This Is The Language we should Be Engaged in PEOPLE. Thanks DUDE.

Latest posts