AA gets three more LGB slots

[blockquote]
----------------
On 2/5/2003 6:08:29 PM AAG2000 wrote:

If there is a huge untapped demand for service to Long Beach, then I stand corrected. But if I were an AA stockholder or employee, having watched what happened with JFK-OAK and JFK-ONT (not to mention the whole Love Field fiasco), I'd be pretty annoyed to see AA pouring money down the drain at LGB just to save face.
----------------
[/blockquote]

Its pretty obvious by JB success that there is plenty of demand for flights into LGB!

Exactly!

Can't some routes support more than one carrier? Can't more than one carrier serve a route and both make money?

I don't think JetBlue's success at Long Beach necessarily shows demand for flights to Long Beach. It shows demand for JetBlue. People are willing to fly to LGB instead of LAX because JetBlue offers superior amenities and reasonable fares. Same goes for JetBlue's ONT and OAK service. Otherwise, how do you explain the lack of service into LGB until recently? And why is JetBlue able to make JFK-OAK work while AA wasn't? And if LGB is such a hot destination, why did AA withdraw from the LGB-ORD market so quickly? Right now, JetBlue is so popular with passengers that they could launch nonstop flights to the middle of nowhere and people would still line up to buy tickets. How else do you explain how they manage to have higher average fares AND higher load factors? Unfortunately AA doesn't have that sort of cachet right now.

I think the reasons that jetBlue isn't complaining about giving up five slots to AA and AS are that they stand to gain far more slots at LGB in the future than they're giving up now, and, moreover, they don't have to operate slotholder service to OAK, LAS, and SLC until they're ready to use the ones they still have.

Part of the settlement agreement among the city of Long Beach, jetBlue, American, and Alaska states that the city will indeed review the availability of additional slots annually under the existing noise ordinance. The figure of 41 daily slots was set in the mid-80's based on the noise levels of aircraft operating at that time. Given that most jets operating today are far quieter, it's extremely likely that more slots will become available in 2004 and beyond. In addition, jetBlue has negotiated preferential allocations of new slots as they become available (five of the first seven each year). They also regain the slots ceded to AA and AS if they go unused.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 2/4/2003 7:22:28 PM FA Mikey wrote:

[blockquote]
----------------
On 2/4/2003 7:18:03 PM TWAFA007 wrote:

Wow 7 flights to JFK! Thats a lot of lift.

ALOHA, 007

----------------
[/blockquote]
Yea, alot of lift with those packed in can 320's. Add AA's lift from LA and SFO to JFK with our 767's and 757's. Now there you have a lot of lift.
----------------
[/blockquote]
ALoha Mike,

Have you flown JetBlue? You know you can for free. They allow any airlines F/As, with ID, to JUMPSEAT. How nice is that. Anyway I just flew them yesterday and Im 6'2" and I had plenty of knee room. Even when the seat in front of me was fully reclined. As much as it might seem silly but live TV is really pretty cool. Its like sitting in my leather chair at home in FL and watching a Discovery show and an episode of Law & Order, but then walking out the door and Im NY. It does make the time go by & keep the kids in their seats.

You should give them a go before you call them packed cans. The A320 is so wide it insides looks like a wide body & its very quiet. The overhead space is such that all carry on fits. The seats are over an inch widered too. Pack true 84% load factors. Seems people like it. Cans no.

Aloha, 007

[blockquote]
----------------
On 2/5/2003 2:10:33 PM Hopeful wrote:

So maybe AA should close its doors forever and let JetBlue takeover the world!
----------------
[/blockquote]
Aloha Hopeful,

Be careful what you ask for. It could happen. Trust me with over 25 years in the business nothing surprises me any more.

ALOHA, 007

[blockquote]
----------------
On 2/4/2003 7:22:28 PM FA Mikey wrote:

[blockquote]
----------------
On 2/4/2003 7:18:03 PM TWAFA007 wrote:

Wow 7 flights to JFK! Thats a lot of lift.

ALOHA, 007

----------------
[/blockquote]
Yea, alot of lift with those packed in can 320's. Add AA's lift from LA and SFO to JFK with our 767's and 757's. Now there you have a lot of lift.
----------------
[/blockquote]

All jetBlue aircraft are fitted with three less rows than a standard configuration single class A320. They pack them in tighter than American, of course, but they are on par or above everybody else.

jetBlue has been informally surveying flying passengers regarding removal of additional seats and is officialy considering removing one or two more additional rows across the fleet. Though a decession will not be made for a while and jetBlue has acknowledged it would lead to slighly higher fares.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 2/6/2003 12:40:09 PM TWAFA007 wrote:
Anyway I just flew them yesterday and Im 6'2" and I had plenty of knee room. Even when the seat in front of me was fully reclined.
----------------
[/blockquote]

Come on 007,
There is no way you had 'plenty of room' in a jetBlue A320 when you're 6ft2 and the seat in front of you is fully reclined. I think you're exaggerating just a wee bit.
Actually, for anybody who is 6ft2, sitting in economy on any airline, your worst nightmare typically starts when the person infront of you starts to recline their seat.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 2/6/2003 8:11:19 PM FrugalFlyer wrote:

[blockquote]
----------------
On 2/6/2003 12:40:09 PM TWAFA007 wrote:
Anyway I just flew them yesterday and Im 6'2" and I had plenty of knee room. Even when the seat in front of me was fully reclined.
----------------
[/blockquote]

Come on 007,
There is no way you had 'plenty of room' in a jetBlue A320 when you're 6ft2 and the seat in front of you is fully reclined. I think you're exaggerating just a wee bit.
Actually, for anybody who is 6ft2, sitting in economy on any airline, your worst nightmare typically starts when the person infront of you starts to recline their seat.

----------------
[/blockquote]

Have you ever flown jetBlue. If not, how would you know? Every seat is different. I am 6'1" and have always had ample room on jetBlue. It's not American, but, from personal experience, it's far better than any of the other majors, especially Delta (4.5 hours in coach from Florida to Salt Lake City is hell).

[blockquote]
----------------
Have you ever flown jetBlue. If not, how would you know? Every seat is different. I am 6'1" and have always had ample room on jetBlue. It's not American, but, from personal experience, it's far better than any of the other majors, especially Delta (4.5 hours in coach from Florida to Salt Lake City is hell).
----------------
[/blockquote]

No I haven't flown jetBlue, but would not hesitate should the opportunity present itself. Myself, being 6'2'' and 220 lbs there is no way that I can say with an honest face that with a seat in front of me fully reclined there was lots of room - no matter what airline it is. 162 people in a A320 does not make an ultra pleasant flight for 'big' persons, whether it is 45 mintues or 4.5 hrs - which is what 007 was trying to portray.