Performance Rewards

Bob Owens

Veteran
Sep 9, 2002
M&E Station performance has been down in all domestic stations except STL. STL actually execeeded targets by 32%. Only 1.6% of its flights were delayed. So as a reward AA is going to lay off hundreds of their workers. After all if they could do so well they dont need all those workers right?

Nearly 10% of the flights out of JFK & MIA were delayed.

Did the bean counters figure this into their savings plan?

What does it cost when disenchanted mechanics dont fix the airplanes as quickly as they used to?

What does it cost when bags are misrouted?

What does it cost when flight attendants dont give the personal serivice that passengers have come to expect?

While some in OH may be delighted that this thing passed what good will it be when the airline eventually goes under anyway? If the front line troops are unhappy the airline is doomed. If those in OH feel that they are struggling now how to you think those of us in high cost areas are faring?
Here in NY a Levitt house goes for about $300,000. That means a paymentof at least $1500 with $50,000 down plus anther $600/month in taxes. So in Mortgage alone we are talking $2100 per month. Figure another $250/month in utilities, $400/ month in car insurance, $100/month house insurance, $200 for gas, and $400 for food. Thats it, there aint nothing left for clothes, doctor bills, repairs, car payments, incidentals and forget about entertainment. While the typical moronic response is well move the fact is that the airline makes money out of operations in high cost areas. The airline would still have to have employees in these areas even if every single employee tried to go to Tulsa.

Most companies that operate in both high and low cost areas adjust pay levels accordingly. Even SWA hired workers at ISP at higher rates than elsewhere.

Thousands of people come to the airport every day in high cost areas to go places.If AA were to dissappear the local impact would be minimal and temporary. Someone else would see the opportunity and move in to satisfy demand. So if AA closed their doors, local workers would more than likely find themselves remployed by who ever the replacement is. In fact most of us in NY have worked for other airlines here at the same airport. In other words we go to the same place, just for a different employer. With that understood, over the long term workers in high cost areas are better off to let companies that can not make money in this enviornment go out of business than to allow their wages to be pegged at levels that are acceptable at backwater locales. However in many of the backwater towns, like Tulsa, if a major employer were to leave town, so likely would many of the employees. The impact would be much greater and last longer, perhaps even be permanant.

So while many in Tulsa may claim victory at jamming this down the throats of their line bretheren their victory is not complete. The 4000 line guys have more of an impact upon performance and revenue than all the OH bases combined. Those of us on the line are being hit with the burden of keeping overhaul in house. We are being forced to work at OH rates for doing line work. We recieve no benifit from this burden. The stregnth in numbers concept does not apply, since those numbers have never worked to our benifit, in fact it has worked to our disadvantage. With their superior numbers they have dictated that regional cost differences are ingnored, to our disadvantage, while the union concept allows them to take advantage and use the lines strategic economic position to overhauls advantage. It is a purely parasitic relationship where the parasite is much bigger than the host. On the line our best long term interests are more than likely better off by seeing AA go out of business, thus clearing room for a more suitable employer picking up where AA left off and paying locally competative rates. This would be preferrable than to continue to allow our rates to be set by overhaul rates that compete with TIMCO or overseas overhaul.

Most airlines know that as far as maintenance goes you get the best bang for the buck in line maintenance. Thats why UPS pays nearly $40/ hour for line mechanics. Over there line mechanics are not subjected to the company's notorious draconian work rules. Even low cost SWA pays their line mechanics a lot more than AA will be paying. Neither of these airlines have overhaul. In fact many airlines have line maintenance and no overhaul. I dont know any that have overhaul but no line maint. AA will be enjoying a deep discount on line mechanics because of the fact that they have overhaul. Line mechanics are in reality being forced into taking a $20,000 a year cut in pay to keep overhaul mechanic pay higher than what the market for overhaul dictates. Line mechanics are being forced to suppliment pay in overhaul. Is this fair? Why should these guys who live in high cost areas suffer for the sake of those who are not in the least bit appreciative of our sacrifice? Many assume a sense of entitlement. They feel they have the right to dictate to us because there are more of them than us. They even have the nerve to try and claim the high moral ground and talk of unionism. Unionism is built upon the concept of mutual struggle and mutual benifit. Neither of these components exist in this situation, the side that struggles does not benifit. As I said before, this is a parastic relationship. They are sucking the blood out of the host to the point where they are destroying the host. Line mechanics recieve zero benifit from the relationship. The parasite even prevents us from struggling to maintain ourselves. Just like a dog is given poison that makes it sick in order to kill off the heartworm in order to save the dogs life, line mechanics, in the preservation of their careers may be forced to take the hard medicine of allowing AA to liqiudate in order to rid themselves of the parasite that has plauged their careers. The most unfortunate part of the whole situation is that the relationship between the line and OH should have been complimentary, or at least symbiotic. It did not have to be this way. We can thank the leadership and structure of the TWU for this.

----------------
On 4/30/2003 7:28:22 AM Bob Owens wrote:

M&E Station performance has been down in all domestic stations except STL.  STL actually execeeded targets by 32%. Only 1.6% of its flights were delayed. So as a reward AA is going to lay off hundreds of their workers. After all if they could do so well they dont need all those workers right?

----------------​

Gee, and I thought those folks were being laid off based on their seniority with AA... isn''t seniority one of the big watchwords with you, Bob? One of those cornerstones of your version of unionism? So now that those folks are doing a good job, they shouldn''t be laid off in seniority order? Which way is it?

----------------

The most unfortunate part of the whole situation is that the relationship between the line and OH should have been complimentary, or at least symbiotic. It did not have to be this way. We can thank the leadership and structure of the TWU for this.

----------------​

Gee, Bob, from here it sure sounds like the only people you have to thank for that are those like yourself, because you are the ones spewing all the rancor and torquing off those around you.

TANSTAAFL

Bob, there's this thing called a <enter> key on your keyboard that you can use to make your posts a helluva lot easier to read. Bob, there's this thing called a <enter> key on your keyboard that you can use to make your posts a helluva lot easier to read. Bob, there's this thing called a <enter> key on your keyboard that you can use to make your posts a helluva lot easier to read. Bob, there's this thing called a <enter> key on your keyboard that you can use to make your posts a helluva lot easier to read. Bob, there's this thing called a <enter> key on your keyboard that you can use to make your posts a helluva lot easier to read. Bob, there's this thing called a <enter> key on your keyboard that you can use to make your posts a helluva lot easier to read. Bob, there's this thing called a <enter> key on your keyboard that you can use to make your posts a helluva lot easier to read. Bob, there's this thing called a <enter> key on your keyboard that you can use to make your posts a helluva lot easier to read. Bob, there's this thing called a <enter> key on your keyboard that you can use to make your posts a helluva lot easier to read. Bob, there's this thing called a <enter> key on your keyboard that you can use to make your posts a helluva lot easier to read. Bob, there's this thing called a <enter> key on your keyboard that you can use to make your posts a helluva lot easier to read. Bob, there's this thing called a <enter> key on your keyboard that you can use to make your posts a helluva lot easier to read. Bob, there's this thing called a <enter> key on your keyboard that you can use to make your posts a helluva lot easier to read.

----------------

So as a reward AA is going to lay off hundreds of their workers. After all if they could do so well they dont need all those workers right?

----------------​

Your union decided who would be first out the door, not the company.

I''d love to see furloughs based on performance. But AA has no choice but to follow the seniority provisions in the contract for layoffs.

----------------
On 4/30/2003 9:11:38 AM eolesen wrote:

Your union decided who would be first out the door, not the company.

----------------

Wrong again. The company chose to layoff as per Mutual agreement. I believe that the Union took the position that it was agreeing to massive payroll and benifit cuts to save jobs.
Why did the company wait until after it got new agreements to start laying off?
Why is the company now holding overtime when we managed without it for nearly two years?
Who decides to lay people off the company or the union?
I would rather follow a seniority based system than a brown nose system. In non union enviornments its more who you know and suck up to than performance and you know it. I''ve seen very competant management stay in place while incompetant butt kissers got promoted.​

Did you ever stop to think that STL just isn''t that important to the AA system? Performance is one thing, but operationally, STL may just be one of those thing AA needs to change. This may prove in the end that the TWA purchase was merely an egotistical move to one-up the USAir-United merger.
Now please don''t take it personally. I''m not saying that STL isn''t worth saving. But it might not just fit into AA''s plans.

----------------
On 4/30/2003 8:59:08 AM eolesen wrote:

Bob, there''s this thing called a <enter> key on your keyboard that you can use to make your posts a helluva lot easier to read. Bob, there''s this thing called a <enter> key on your keyboard that you can use to make your posts a helluva lot easier to read. Bob, there''s this thing called a <enter> key on your keyboard that you can use to make your posts a helluva lot easier to read. Bob, there''s this thing called a <enter> key on your keyboard that you can use to make your posts a helluva lot easier to read. Bob, there''s this thing called a <enter> key on your keyboard that you can use to make your posts a helluva lot easier to read. Bob, there''s this thing called a <enter> key on your keyboard that you can use to make your posts a helluva lot easier to read. Bob, there''s this thing called a <enter> key on your keyboard that you can use to make your posts a helluva lot easier to read. Bob, there''s this thing called a <enter> key on your keyboard that you can use to make your posts a helluva lot easier to read. Bob, there''s this thing called a <enter> key on your keyboard that you can use to make your posts a helluva lot easier to read. Bob, there''s this thing called a <enter> key on your keyboard that you can use to make your posts a helluva lot easier to read. Bob, there''s this thing called a <enter> key on your keyboard that you can use to make your posts a helluva lot easier to read. Bob, there''s this thing called a <enter> key on your keyboard that you can use to make your posts a helluva lot easier to read. Bob, there''s this thing called a <enter> key on your keyboard that you can use to make your posts a helluva lot easier to read.

----------------

How is that?

How much have you saved on gas this year?

----------------
On 4/30/2003 9:56:52 AM Bob Owens wrote:

----------------

Who is making the decision to lay off? The company. They know and agreed to the rules regarding seniority but they chose to layoff in their best performing station. However when ever a station does well management gets the credit, when it does poorly the workers get the blame. So you tell me," Which way is it?".

No, management chose to request pay cuts and lay off workers, and the unions accepted to try and save the airline. It just so happens in this case that the workers that are at the bottom of the list are the best performing. Makes me wonder what the heck we are paying the ones at the worse-performing stations for... there are obviously mechanics who can do their job better/faster/more accurately (and for less money too) already on the payroll. Why don''t we get rid of the worse-performing ones? Oh, yeah, they''ve got union protection, because the company isn''t bankrupt and there are still contracts in force.

Silly me...

Bob, have you ever worked at a non-union job? Ever had to gain your pay raises and your respect through your personal efforts and not the skills of your negotiators?

----------------
On 4/30/2003 9:56:52 AM Bob Owens wrote:

Well maybe if you took your head out of your behind things may "sound" a little clearer.

----------------​

Ah, yes, the good old ad hominen attack. Perhaps I struck too close to the truth?

TANSTAAFL

----------------
On 4/30/2003 9:02:04 AM WXGuesser wrote:

----------------​

Gee, and I thought those folks were being laid off based on their seniority with AA... isn''t seniority one of the big watchwords with you, Bob? One of those cornerstones of your version of unionism? So now that those folks are doing a good job, they shouldn''t be laid off in seniority order? Which way is it?

Who is making the decision to lay off? The company. They know and agreed to the rules regarding seniority but they chose to layoff in their best performing station. However when ever a station does well management gets the credit, when it does poorly the workers get the blame. So you tell me," Which way is it?".

Gee, Bob, from here it sure sounds like the only people you have to thank for that are those like yourself, because you are the ones spewing all the rancor and torquing off those around you.

Well maybe if you took your head out of your behind things may "sound" a little clearer.

----------------​

----------------
On 4/30/2003 10:15:38 AM WXGuesser wrote:

----------------​
However when ever a station does well management gets the credit, when it does poorly the workers get the blame. So you tell me," Which way is it?".

I did not get your response to that. '

"No, management chose to request pay cuts and lay off workers, and the unions accepted to try and save the airline."

"Chose to request". Was that going to be Bonny and Clydes defence?

Oh, yeah, they've got union protection, because the company isn't bankrupt and there are still contracts in force.

Even in Bankruptcy the contracts would still be in force, UAL, USAIR.

Silly me...

Finally, some clarity.

Bob, have you ever worked at a non-union job?

Yes.

Ever had to gain your pay raises and your respect through your personal efforts and not the skills of your negotiators?

Yes, but in my chosen profession that can only be done with small fly by night carriers. Even in non-union carriers like Delta, pay rates are pretty much non-negotiable. Respect is earned the same way, whether a contract is in place or not. When I transferred out of LGA to DCA the Maintenance Manager tried to talk me out of going. Two years later when I transferrred out of DCA up to JFK the manager at DCA did the same thing. I've never had a problem earning respect. I've been chosen by my peers twice to represent them and have earned the respect of those that I directly work under.While I always supported unionism I was forced into activism by the stupidity of the airlines and incompetant union leadership.

Ah, yes, the good old ad hominen attack. Perhaps I struck too close to the truth?

Did I?

----------------
On 4/30/2003 9:11:38 AM eolesen wrote:

I''d love to see furloughs based on performance. But AA has no choice but to follow the seniority provisions in the contract for layoffs.

----------------​

That works when you have a handful of managers you know personally, but not when there are thousands, or even tens of thousands in the same job classification. The seniority system works best in this case.

MK

----------------
On 4/30/2003 11:18:03 AM Bob Owens wrote:

However when ever a station does well management gets the credit, when it does poorly the workers get the blame. So you tell me," Which way is it?".

I did not get your response to that.

----------------​

Bob:

That is just simply an application of the Golden Rule. Them that has the gold makes the rules, or in this case, takes the rewards. This is America, Bob! We are always ready to blame someone else for the problems and take credit for the work of others. There is no sense of personal responsibility in this country anymore, and anyone who shows even the slightest hint of actually taking responsibility for their actions is immediately played for a sucker by everyone and anyone, or run out of town on a rail (ala Don Carty). Excuse me for being so cynical, but I'm just calling it like I see it.

----------------

"No, management chose to request pay cuts and lay off workers, and the unions accepted to try and save the airline."

"Chose to request".  Was that going to be Bonny and Clydes defence?

----------------​

AA did not have to come to the unions; they stated the financing was all lined up. If they were truly the heartless thieves you imply them to be, they would simply have filed. Braniff comparisons, anyone?

And FYI it's Bonnie and Clyde.

----------------

Yes, but in my chosen profession that can only be done with small fly by night carriers. Even in non-union carriers like Delta, pay rates are pretty much non-negotiable.

----------------​

You mean kind of like it is in the rest of the world?

Bob, I know you are very good at what you do, and that you have exceptional skills. Do you think that if your work environment was non-union and the possibility for promotions existed, that you would have been promoted into a better paying position?

Unions have both their good and bad points. They do protect the rights, pay and benefits of their members from the whims of management. But they also force management to keep the bad with the good. Do you think that employees who deliberately perform at less than their best, or whose work is substandard should be fired? Do you think their should be incentives for going "above and beyond the call of duty"? You can't have both guarantees (union) and incentives (non-union). You have to choose.

And my head is very clearly not where you believe it to be. The only way to "respond" to an ad hominem attack is with an attack in kind. Sorry, but I'm not five years old.

TANSTAAFL

----------------
On 4/30/2003 10:02:37 AM Hopeful wrote:

Did you ever stop to think that STL just isn''t that important to the AA system? Performance is one thing, but operationally, STL may just be one of those thing AA needs to change. This may prove in the end that the TWA purchase was merely an egotistical move to one-up the USAir-United merger.
Now please don''t take it personally. I''m not saying that STL isn''t worth saving. But it might not just fit into AA''s plans.

----------------​

It appears the company still finds STL valuable. Although every one of us ex-TWA FA''s will hit the street, not one single flight is being cut. A thousand nAAtives will be drafted into STL to crew the TWA aircraft and the rest will be flown through STL from other bases. AA looks to be committed to STL as both a hub and as a base.

Our performance has been excellent. At least let me go out feeling I''ve done a good job, OK?

MK

----------------
On 4/30/2003 8:59:08 AM eolesen wrote:

Bob, there''s this thing called a &lt;enter&gt; key on your keyboard that you can use to make your posts a helluva lot easier to read. ----------------

How is that?

----------------

Break up those huge paragraphs into smaller ones.

----------------

M&E Station performance has been down in all domestic stations except STL.&nbsp; STL actually execeeded targets by 32%. Only 1.6% of its flights were delayed. ----------------​

Perhaps a more serious study needs to be done of WHY STL M/E does so well....could it be a more favorable working relationship between spvrs and mechanics.....the unique cohesive blend of former Ozark and TWA mechanics with a wide range of experience, perspective and work ethic? Perhaps the LLC maint. system itself?

In any event a sad loss of valuable talent, as it is with all layoffs.