AA getting 4 gates in LAX T6.

WorldTraveler said:
and again you miss the point that I have never said that DL is attempting to dethrone AA at LAX. DL clearly does not have the real estate to do that.

Just as you miss the point that AA is not trying to dethrone DL at Kennedy?

WorldTraveler said:
You AA people are mighty possessive of LAX and you are also.wrong.

Just as you are mighty possessive of JFK and are also wrong?

WorldTraveler said:
DL uses TBIT now. i was also just in T6 today and DL had flights at 3 gates including the 744 from NRT
For arrivals, DL has no choice but to use TBIT. How many departures do they operate from TBIT on a regular basis?

I have never said that DL departs from TBIT but if they can do some arrivals there if opens up gate space.

I was at both LAX and JFK this week and DL runs both the same and like int'l cities... Minimize gate time and work efficiently. There is room for more improvement which is why DL keeps adding flights.

I am all for AA growing as much as they can in NYC

True, you left yourself an out-clause by simply saying they just use TBIT. Clearly, though, the discussion hasn't been about arrivals. It's been about departures.

Just looking at their arrival patterns, they only use TBIT when the FIS in T6 is closed (e.g. evenings).

WorldTraveler said:
first, your count of DL gates is always short. DL has 3 preferential use gates in T6.
Delta had no arrivals or departures last Friday from any gates in T-6, and today, no arrivals or departures from any gates in T-6.  How does DL maintain preferential use of gates it doesn't use?   

Yep, I noticed that as well. The only departures showing from T6 for DL were the few remaining codeshares on AS.

eolesen said:
Is gating at TBIT even an option for anyone else holding a lease in one of the other terminals right now?

As you noted above, only for international arrivals when the FIS is closed at the other terminals.  Delta and United do not operate any departures from TBIT.

LAWA has been trying to get more and more of the international airlines to return to TBIT, specifically from T2.  It is only an option for those airlines.

DL does not post T6 gate numbers on any public source because DL does not do check-in anywhere except T5 but they absolutely use T6. here is the flifo on Delta.com for DL 284/NRT-LAX Los Angeles (LAX) Terminal 5 Gate 68B.

see also flight 2442/LAX-TPA for June 4 if you get on delta.com in the next 90 minutes and you will see Los Angeles (LAX) Terminal 5 Gate 68B .

Since the NRT flight was still on the gate at the time as the TPA flight was boarding and they did not use the same gate.

as for share, I know you all love to look at passenger boardings and, once again, they have absolutely no meaning to the share that any carrier has of the local market because it includes connecting passengers. As I have repeatedly noted, DL does not use LAX as a connecting hub any more than necessary in order to focus on the local market. Even its LAX-California flights are focused on the local market - and DL carries higher percentages of the local market than AA and UA. On LAX-SFO for the most recent quarter, DL carries a higher percentage of local traffic than AA OR UA.

Further, revenue share is what matters - unless of course you want to state the influence of Spirit at DFW based on the number of passengers they carry. In reality, NK carries far less valuable revenue so it is meaningless to say that their share is reflective of their influence on the DFW market based on their passenger boardings compared to AA.

At LAX, AA/US' revenue share is 25%, UA's is 23%, and DL's is 19%. WN's share is far lower even though they carry lots of passengers but at much lower average fares.

Airlines are companies that are in the business to generate profits, not to count the number of units produced. Stockholders care about money.

On that basis, DL's revenue at LAX for the local market is far closer to AA and UA's than a lot of people here want to admit. even the Motley Fool article notes passenger boardings and acknowledges that DL is "nipping on the heels" of AA and UA.

So, we can use a valid revenue metric or we can talk about all the passengers that B6 and NK carry and what WN will carry from DAL compared to AA at DFW and say that is representative of their influence in the local market.

again, AA's fans can argue all they want that AA will get first dibs on LAX gates, no one else will be able to grow, etc. but reality will show that AA will not be allowed to dominate an airport in which other carriers are not able to grow.

Did you all not just learn what happened with the AA/US merger?

ain't Chinese, that's for sure.

Any explanation for why AA's average fare in LAX-PVG actually went down in the most recent quarter? UA's was flat and several other carriers saw average fares go up.

Back