AA HIRING F/A rumor?

You are quite right. We are not going to get into an argument. However, Kirkpatrick's reliable source, ain't.

Jim, I never even look at the Flight Service website figures. I explained in a previous post why I don't include furloughs in attrition reports.

My figures for 2009, for example, show 923 attrition for the year. Below that it says 337 without furloughs. The notes at the bottom explain:

*MARCH attrition includes 16 Tvl Separations eff. 02Mar09. Regular attrition equals 25.
*APRIL attrition includes 322 furloughs eff. 01Apr09. Regular attrition equals 20.
*OCT attrition includes 228 furloughs and 20 Tvl Seps eff. 01Oct09. Reg attr. equals 26.

My information shows the categories you mentioned earlier (DE = Deceased, RL = Released, OF = Ground Job, RT = Retired, RE = Resigned, FR = Furloughed, and RTN = Reinstatements or Return to F/A status from Ground Position). For 2011 I show 119 total attrition minus 13 RTN for a net loss of 106 heads.

The only reason I can come up with for the discrepancy is that your figures show retirements from furlough or recalls electing not to come back.

MK

There's an email floating around that was started by the LAX Base Chair. It says AA will be hiring 1400 f/a's in 2012 beginning in the 1Q. So we shall se what happens. If all the furloughs are back by December 2 (December Contractual 1st day), then it could possibly happen. Since AA was at steps 7,8,9 in order of open time in the middle of May, I can see them recalling more before the holidays.

Even with the companies threats of 2 points for during the, "critical period" people sill call out. The threats don't scare our work group anymore. People have finally seen the light!

Does anybody know anyone that went to EPT's and saw new FA's being trained? That would put to bed any rumors.

Seriously? If AA was hiring, EVERYONE would know. You wouldn't have to have people at EPT's scoping them out. It would be in the news, talked about in the galley's and all over ops. Plus, they haven't even finished the recalls. Are there really people that are that uninformed? God I hope not!!!

Reactions: 1 person
Yes, there are people that uninformed. You would be amazed at the number of people who will believe galley gossip over the truth. A few years ago, we lucked out and got a long MIA layover on the SLT bid sheet (I think we got to keep it for one month). My crew was on the bus with the DFW 777 ladies when they did the 3-day that was one leg to MIA, 24-hour layover, and one leg back to DFW. One of them and I were talking. She first insisted that because I was based at St. Louis I had to be former TWA. This was right after the first recall of former TW f/as. I pointed out that the few former TW f/as that were back from furlough were based at LGA, BOS (I think), and ORD. The following "conversation" ensued...

Her: But, that's a violation of our contract.
Me: You mean the Seniority Integration Agreement which expired two years ago?
Her: No, I mean our contract. My girlfriend used to work at the union, and she told me that our contract says that those TWA f/as have to stay in St. Louis until they retire.
Me: No, when they are recalled, they go to whatever bases have open slots.
Her: Oh no. You are wrong.
Me: Ok.

So, I have no problem believing that some f/as believe that the company has surreptitiously started training new hires. Though, usually, the rumor goes that they have been hired to replace us if/when we go on strike. Galley gossip is absolute truth. The contract and things put down on paper in black and white are just lies spread by the company.

P.S. I agree with you. Everyone and his dog would know it if there were new hires at the flight academy right now. For goodness sakes, the COMPANY would be bragging about it.

The only reason I can come up with for the discrepancy is that your figures show retirements from furlough or recalls electing not to come back.

MK

I supposed all those furloughs, retirements from furlough, and recalls electing to not come back who were all junior to me explain the drop in my seniority number over the past few years. Or, maybe the company is lying about my seniority number also. Yeah, that must be it.

I don't want to turn this thread into a bashing of uninformed and ignorant F/A's but there really are some clueless specimens out there among us. A couple of months ago I was sitting in the back of the plane with another F/A as she was reading a company update newsletter on the future deliveries of new aircraft. Of course this included information the 787. She said, "This must be a misprint. They must mean the 777." I said, "No. That's the new 787 from Boeing. The new lightweight composite material aircraft they've been developing, due out in 2014." Clueless blank stares ensued.

Seriously? If AA was hiring, EVERYONE would know. You wouldn't have to have people at EPT's scoping them out. It would be in the news, talked about in the galley's and all over ops. Plus, they haven't even finished the recalls. Are there really people that are that uninformed? God I hope not!!!

Below is part of the post from John Nikides where this "rumor" originated. John is the APFA LAX base chair and unlike Jimntx's idea that most flight attendants are morons, I can assure you that John is not uninformed nor is he a "galley gossiper". Time will tell but I for one believe that he knows what he is talking about. If anyone wants to read the full "gossip" then they can log onto facebook and look up the LAX base page.

Hey all... It is, indeed, true that the Company is gearing up for a large-scale hiring of up to 1400 new-hire flight attendants in 2012. This is good news for all of us, and I wanted to answer the inevitable questions that such a massive hiring process bring forward.

The Company has been very open about its plans to hire these individuals who are being brought on board as an answer to our current attrition levels, and to fuel the growth in capacity envisioned over the next couple of years. Most of you know that AA has, thus far, ordered 5 777-300ERs, and analysts believe that there are many more coming. These aircraft, with their extended range, and jump in capacity from the existing -200ERs, will permit AA to open new routes hitherto unattainable due to the relatively limited range of our current fleet.

Even with the recent announcement of the retirement of 25 Super 80s, AA has many 737-800s on order. By the end of 2012, there will be 196 737-800s in the fleet, with 11 more scheduled for delivery in the 2013-2015 range. The 737s are 35 percent more fuel efficient than the Super 80, thereby reducing the Cost per Available Seat Mile.

Below is part of the post from John Nikides where this "rumor" originated. John is the APFA LAX base chair and unlike Jinntx's idea that most flight attendants are morons, I can assure you that John is not uninformed nor is he a "galley gossiper". Time will tell but I for one believe that he knows what he is talking about. If anyone wants to read the full "gossip" then they can log onto facebook and look up the LAX base page.

Hey all... It is, indeed, true that the Company is gearing up for a large-scale hiring of up to 1400 new-hire flight attendants in 2012. This is good news for all of us, and I wanted to answer the inevitable questions that such a massive hiring process bring forward.

The Company has been very open about its plans to hire these individuals who are being brought on board as an answer to our current attrition levels, and to fuel the growth in capacity envisioned over the next couple of years. Most of you know that AA has, thus far, ordered 5 777-300ERs, and analysts believe that there are many more coming. These aircraft, with their extended range, and jump in capacity from the existing -200ERs, will permit AA to open new routes hitherto unattainable due to the relatively limited range of our current fleet.

Even with the recent announcement of the retirement of 25 Super 80s, AA has many 737-800s on order. By the end of 2012, there will be 196 737-800s in the fleet, with 11 more scheduled for delivery in the 2013-2015 range. The 737s are 35 percent more fuel efficient than the Super 80, thereby reducing the Cost per Available Seat Mile.

I don't personally know John Nikides nor have I ever met him, but anyone I've talked to speaks VERY HIGHLY of him. He's someone "in-the-know" and an honest, non-B.S.er. I'm in possession of his entire 4-1/2 page e-mail, and I have to say, it contains some very encouraging and promising information.

Yes, but maybe that announcement had too many syllables to process at once, and the really important qualifier "2012" was ignored or truncated.....

There was also a "rumor" on the line that flight attendants were being contacted by AA or a hired company asking current flight attendants their opinion on what they thought was important when hiring new hires. I was skeptical when I heard this however if you look at the comments on John's post there is a flight attendant who says she was personally contacted. Just goes to show that often times there is a basis in fact where rumors originate.

jersey777, maybe you missed the post from someone wanting to hear if anyone saw the new hires at EPT's. No one is saying that they won't be hiring, we are saying that they are NOT currently hiring. No more, no less. So yes, if someone thinks AA is currently hiring, then yes they are morons as you mentioned.

There was also a "rumor" on the line that flight attendants were being contacted by AA or a hired company asking current flight attendants their opinion on what they thought was important when hiring new hires. I was skeptical when I heard this however if you look at the comments on John's post there is a flight attendant who says she was personally contacted. Just goes to show that often times there is a basis in fact where rumors originate.

It's not a rumor. Pursers in LGA were asked to participate in this survey. We were told that this was for hiring in the spring of next year.

Reactions: 2 people

Latest posts